t w e n t y - f o u r

A Hundred Days

 

If Wu Fan could wish for one thing, it would be that he may gain strength to bring Soojin with her and run away to some place where his father wouldn’t find him. But he can’t do that. He would be too selfish if he’s going to ask for that to happen. Love was a complicated mess but when it’s with the one you really, absolutely love, it’s worth the try.

Somehow, the two of them, Wu Fan and Soojin, had both ended in the Namsan Tower, starving and helpless. With only the cold, gentle wind to cheer them up, Wu Fan can’t help but feel miserable about everything.

He knew he had to make a decision.

“I’m getting married,” he blurted out, gazing at Soojin.

Soojin gazed back. There was this unreadable expression on her face, and  Wu Fan wished he could figure out. But Soojin was a puzzle he would never understand. Even then, he’s willing to do anything for her. If only she knew how he feels. “I know,” she replied quietly.

Silence stayed close between them.

“Tell me what to do,” he told her, locking his gaze with hers. The statement came out like a plea rather than a statement.

She cast him a longing look. “Like what?”

He took hold of her hand and brought it to his lips. Closing his eyes, he wished for nothing but comfort and love from her. He wished he could tell her everything. He wished… he wished a lot of things to happen. He was lost. He needed to find a way out.

When he opened his eyes, he found Soojin looking at him with a gloomy expression on her face. The sorrow was visible and he couldn’t help but feel broken. Without tearing his gaze away from her, he took his suit off and stirred closer to her.

Draping the suit over her shoulder, he drew her close to him. The distance between them decreased. Soojin could still back out now if she didn’t want this.

But she didn’t. Instead, she let him pull her.

Cupping her face in his hand, he her smooth cheeks, his gape burning through her. He leaned closer, feeling her warm breath on his neck. He kissed her forehead. And then her eyes. Her nose. When he was about to kiss her on the lips, he tilted his head to the side. He brushed his lips gently to hers.

It felt perfect. Wu Fan was positive that he wasn’t dreaming. He was kissing Soojin and she’s kissing him back. He felt fireworks and his pulse raced. He could hear the loud beating of his heartbeat and the blood rushed on his ears.

He’s definitely in love.

He pulled away but he leaned his forehead unto hers. “I love you,” he whispered tenderly.

She chuckled feebly. “I know.”

“You do?”

She shook her head. “Not really. I had a hunch.”

He laughed inwardly. “You had a hunch?”

She nodded.

“What hunch?”

“That maybe you feel the same way that I do to you.”

He pulled her for a tight hug. Nestling his cheek on her hair, he wanted the time to stop right here, right now. She hugged him back. He felt happy. In fact, he has never felt so happy until now. He’s finally told her the truth and it went well. But the only problem in the way was the marriage.

“Tell me to stop,” he murmured, placing his lips on her hair. “Tell me not to marry her and I won’t. Tell me that you want me to stay and I will. Tell me… tell me those things, Soojin, and I will do it. I will do anything you want me to do.”

“I can hear your heartbeat,” she replied. “It’s so fast and loud.”

He laughed faintly. “It’s your fault.”

He felt her smile on his chest. “You’re going to be fine,” she told him. However, Wu Fan felt like she was referring it to herself, comforting and reassuring that everything’s going to be fine. No matter how strong Soojin looks in front of many people, he knew she was suffering, too.

“Tell me you love me,” he told her. “And I will stay.”

“…marry her, Kris.”

Wu Fan blinked, aghast at what Soojin had told him to do. She wanted him to marry her? Did he hear her right? She really did want him to marry her? I thought you love me, his mind wondered. For a second, he had expected her to tell him that she loves him, too, not something outrageous like marry someone else when he just declared his love for her.

Soojin pulled away from the hug. Immediately, the cold, harsh wind filled the empty warmth only Soojin could fill. She put on a blank expression, blocking Wu Fan from figuring out what she really feels. “Marry her,” she repeated resolutely.

He reached out for her but she drew back hastily.

“I’m a selfish person if I want you to stay,” she stated, her eyes welling with tears. “I want you all to myself and I wish I have the courage to make you stay. But no. I’m sorry, Kris. You can’t go against your own father just for me. Besides, marrying her will give you a better future. Look at me. I’m nothing. And you’re… you’re a good person.” With that, she turned around and walked away.

Kris chased after her, reaching out for her arm. But she yanked it away. “Tell me!” he demanded. “Why do you want me to marry her? Why can’t you just… be selfish for once? Tell me you love me and I’ll stay! Soojin, I love you. Don’t you get that?”

She refused to meet his gaze. “Just… I’m sorry. I can’t. You don’t understand; I can’t explain either.”

He pulled her roughly against his chest. Soojin struggled to break free but he won’t let her. He can’t let her. “Tell me how you feel. Honestly.”

She stopped thrashing. “…I love you.”

He kissed her forehead. “That’s enough for me to hear,” he murmured. “Fine, I’ll do what you told me to do. I’ll marry her but on one condition.”

“What?”

“The deal is still on,” he declared. “You’re still going to work under me.”

She nodded glumly. “Okay.”

If I can’t have you now, I’ll definitely come back for you, he told himself. He’s finally made a decision. If he can’t have Soojin now, he’ll definitely have her soon. He’s going to play his father’s game but only this time, Wu Fan will make sure he’s going to win.