t w e n t y - t w o

A Hundred Days

 

She looked very beautiful. Enough said.

Wu Fan couldn’t deny that fact no matter how much he wanted to. The moment he laid eyes on her, wearing that perfect Cinderella-like dress, he was completely blown away. All those arguments they had, the pranks and the misunderstandings between them were all gone. She was perfect in every angle.

He couldn’t take his eyes off her. She was just simply radiating from head to toe. The dress was definitely perfect, thanks to Yoona and Krystal. He made a mental note to thank them later, after the party. What rock has she been hiding from?

His heart pulsated against his ribcage. His heartbeat was so loud; he was scared that for a moment she could hear it. His throat felt dry and he couldn’t find the words to speak. He was beyond flabbergasted. The woman he meet few weeks ago wearing shabby overalls and Converse sneakers looked downright different with the dress she’s wearing now.

“Well, what do you think?” she asked faintly, a blush tinting her cheeks. “Say something.”

He cleared his throat, trying hard not to stare at the perfection right in front of him. “You look very beautiful.”

She forced a chuckle. “Really? I think I look awkward.”

Wu Fan shook his head to deny what she said. “No!” he argued. “Y-you, I mean… you look really nice.”

She exhaled wearily. “I can’t back out now anyway,” she muttered. “Might as well get over this.” She turned to Kris. “Look, I don’t know what I am supposed to do once we arrive at the party but can you, at least, reassure me one thing?”

He gazed at her. “What?”

“Don’t leave my side, okay?”

I would never do that, he wanted to promise her that. But nevertheless, he was incredibly happy. If he was pleased at what she said, he didn’t show it. Instead, he put on his famous smug look. “I can’t just leave a lost puppy behind, can I?”

She scowled. “Yah!”

He held out his arm towards her and she gladly accepted it. She also warned him about her inability to walk correctly with these heels since she wasn’t used to it. She even reminded him of how ignorant she looked the first time she wore those heels he bought.

On their way to the room where the party was held, Wu Fan kept sneaking glances at her. He couldn’t read her expression and he badly wanted to know what she’s thinking. Was she scared? Or perhaps, nervous? He had planned this for a long time. He was going to tell her the truth about everything, even if it means if he has to include his life.

He’d be willing to do that.

He’s willing to go through anything and prove to her that he liked her.

And he also planned for his father to meet her.

Wu Fan knew they were near the room when he heard a faint sound of a classical music playing. Every year, his father would always hire the same classical-playing group called The Classics. He had always thought it was a weird name for a band but then it’s not his business to care. Besides, it’s his father’s birthday party anyway.

He informed the man, who was hired to make sure only the invited guests can go in, waiting in front of the door that he was the son and Soojin was his date. Immediately, the doors were opened. Soojin tightened her grip on Wu Fan’s arm when she saw a lot of people inside. He could sympathize with her. Despite the fact of being an important man’s son, he didn’t know a lot of people like his father do.

He brought her hand to his. Instead of her holding on his arm, he held her hand and squeezed it tight. “Don’t worry,” he reassured her. “I’m not leaving you.” He had hoped she got what he meant. And it’s not just the typical “I’ll be here next to you so don’t worry about me leaving.” It was more than that.

Few of the people, who Wu Fan had recognized to be their clients before, turned around to watch them. It wasn’t new to him but it would have been for Soojin. Ever since he took over his father’s place in the company, he has stopped bringing dates and if he ever would, it would be just an acquaintance from work. Nothing personal.

And besides, it was their first time seeing Soojin.

He joined the company of his friends when he spotted them not far from the refreshments table. Both Yoona and Krystal were there, too, enjoying a casual conversation with their husbands. With the four are the other members of the board, Park Chanyeol and Byun Baekhyun. Luhan looked up, catching sight of Wu Fan and waving his hand.

“This is Jung Soojin,” he introduced to them after exchanging greetings. Both Yoona and Krystal knew her already so they didn’t need to hear the introduction.

Chanyeol extended a hand towards her. “My name’s Chanyeol and I’m very glad to meet you.” He wriggled his eyebrows.

Sehun laughed. “Hyung, you’re never going to get a chance with her so don’t bother making a move.”

Chanyeol tilted his head to the side. “Why? I was just introducing myself.”

Baekhyun gave her a smile. “I’m Baekhyun.”

Luhan placed a hand on his wife’s back. “Baekhyun, don’t think about it, too,” he advised. “Soojin-ssi might be single but she’s definitely not available. And that goes for you, too, Chanyeol. You men should have just met her before Kris did. Maybe both of you had the opportunity.”

Chanyeol puffed his cheeks. “I was just… well, it’s not like they’re married.”

Wu Fan shook his head, chuckling. “Were you thinking about that?”

They engaged in an informal conversation, asking and inquiring Soojin about what she does besides working under Wu Fan as his personal secretary. Even if Baekhyun and Chanyeol didn’t admit that they were making a move on her, they kept shooting her their trademark smiles and asking her endless questions. However, both Yoona and Krystal did their best to make her feel comfortable.

It was also the first time Wu Fan knew about Soojin’s passion for racing. In fact, when she told them about her joining an auto racing competition in four weeks, he was astonished and, at the same time, worried. What if she got hurt? He never knew any females who love auto racing. But it didn’t even turn him off. Instead, it impressed him.

It was times like this that Wu Fan loved the most. Just talking nonchalantly with friends and worrying about nothing. However, his mood went down as soon as he caught his father’s eye. His gaze remained on him for a moment, as if he was telling Wu Fan that they need to talk.

Wu Fan gulped nervously. What has he done again?

“Wu Fan.”

Just the mere sound of his father’s indifferent voice made them stop. All of them, except Soojin who was completely oblivious to who he was, hung their head low in respect. No one would dare meet Wu Fan’s father in the eyes. It’s scary.

His father cleared his throat. “I’m sorry to intrude but can I borrow my son for a minute?” he asked, addressing it to his friends. They nodded swiftly but his father didn’t leave. Instead, he stayed on the same place and preferred to talk to him even if Soojin and his friends were within an earshot.

Just the look on his father’s face screamed bad news.

“I’d like you to meet someone,” he declared in a gentle tone. He veered sideways, subtly motioning for someone. Wu Fan glanced back at his friends, confusion hinting his face. His eyes rested on Soojin, looking uncomfortable. When he turned back to face his father, he was stunned to see a woman in front of him.

“Um, who—”

His father gave him a delighted smile. “My son, this is Gillian Chung,” he introduced, placing his hand on her back. “You remember Mr. Chung way back, don’t you? You used to go to his school together with his daughter. Do you remember her? You two have been friends since way back. I’m pretty sure you still know her.”

Wu Fan cast Gillian an uncomfortable smile. “Yes, I do remember her.”

His father laughed. “Then that’s good. Because she’ll be staying with us. For good.”

He pinched his eyebrows. “But why?”

“Because you’re going to marry her.”

 

college life = busy.

probably quitting writing soon. sob.