t w e n t y - t h r e e

A Hundred Days

 

Wu Fan gave himself a mental slap, making sure he wasn’t having a nightmare. Marrying Gillian Chung? Now where did that idea come from? Was his father serious about making him marry someone he doesn’t even love? He was absolutely aware that arranged marriages still work in China but seriously? Has his father lost his mind?

It’s been years since they moved to Korea and Wu Fan was pretty sure that his father has adopted the Korean lifestyle. He left the Chinese lifestyle the moment they left their motherland and now he’s bringing back the arranged marriage tradition?

He noticed how his friends moved back a bit, to give them privacy. And he wasn’t oblivious at the fact that they were surprised, too. Especially Soojin. What was he supposed to do now?

“Marry her?” he repeated, almost shouting. He shot Gillian a look. He did remember her and they used to be close friends back in China. They’d share lunchboxes together and even have those friendship bracelets. But Wu Fan never imagined having her as a wife. To him, she was just… his childhood friend. That’s all.

His father nodded indifferently. “Yes, I want you to marry her, Wu Fan.”

A deep cease appeared on Wu Fan’s forehead. “But… I don’t want to.”

The bright expression on his father’s face melted into a dark one. “Why not? It’s not like you don’t know her. You’ve known each other since you were practically in diapers. I don’t think it’s awkward for the both of you, right?”

He glanced carefully at Gillian, who darted him a polite smile, and then back to his father. He lowered his voice. “Dad, I don’t love her, okay?” he insisted. “I’m… I’m in love with someone else. A-and if this is about the business, I can manage it, okay? I can… work harder than I did before. Just give me a second chance. I don’t want to marry Gillian.”

He stopped smiling. “Love? In love with someone else?” he echoed angrily but he managed to keep his voice low. “That’s outrageous! I didn’t love your mother when I married her, Wu Fan. You think this is how the tradition works? You can’t refuse this, Fan. Ever since you accepted this responsibility, you’re supposed to obey me.”

Wu Fan let out an exasperated sigh. “Yes, I did accept this responsibility! But you never told me this was included,” he cried. “I don’t want to marry Gillian, Dad, and that’s final. I’m sorry to disappoint you but—”

“You’re in love with that woman?” He spat out, pointing at someone behind him. When Wu Fan turned around, he saw Soojin laughing with Baekhyun and Chanyeol. Jealousy drove him up the wall but he kept his pace. This wasn’t the time.

Wu Fan nodded. “I am,” he confirmed. “I am in love with her, Dad.”

His father’s nose dilated. “You foolish child! If you were going to be in love, you could’ve chosen someone fit enough for our family. She’s not Chinese! She’s Korean, for God’s sake! What are you thinking? Is she the private secretary everyone is talking about? Is that her?”

Wu Fan nodded solemnly. “It’s her.”

His father let out a low growl. “You’re definitely crazy, Wu Yi Fan. I made sure you were taught with the right thing and the right values. I never taught you to disobey your father!”

It was Wu Fan’s turn to scoff. “You taught me?” he asked in disbelief. “Dad, you were never here. Ever since I was kid, you’ve been gone somewhere else but with me. I always see you in, what, twice a year? Or maybe once a year?”

“Wu Fan.”

Wu Fan looked up. His mother had suddenly appeared out of nowhere, tottering towards him. She whispered something to Gillian and motioned for her to give them a little privacy for a few minutes. Once Gillian had left, Mr. Wu suggested talking in a more secluded room to avoid attention.

Both men agreed.

Wu Fan shot Soojin a last look. Their eyes met and he could only nod dejectedly. She gave him a forlorn smile. I’ll come back for you, Soojin, he thought. I promise. He wished nothing more but to be able to tell her that.

“Your son is insane!” His father bellowed out as soon as they had arrived into a quiet room just right beside where the party is held. “Do you have any idea what he just said to me? He said he was in love! He’s in love with a Korean woman! And I bet my bottom dollar that that woman doesn’t even know anything about the business.”

Her mother rolled her eyes. “Leave him out of this,” she pleaded. “Isn’t what you have now enough? You’re one step from taking over South Korea and now you want him to marry Gillian Chung just so you can merge with their business? So it would boost your career? What exactly are you thinking, exchanging your son for a thing that won’t even last forever?”

Mr. Wu pointed accusingly at her. “I don’t need your opinion, woman,” he barked. “It’s because of you that this”—he faced Wu Fan—“imprudent son of yours is thinking of unnecessary things! Love? That doesn’t exist nowadays, does it? Just like with us!”

Mrs. Wu glared at him. “I don’t want our son to end up like us, you—”

“Like what? Rich and happy?” He chuckled arrogantly. “You don’t want our son to be happy?”

She scoffed. “You think we’re happy? Look around and see if we’re happy!” She waved her hands in around. “You think I’m happy? You think I’m happy with our life? You think your son is happy? We may be one of the richest families in Seoul but we’re the most miserable!”

Wu Fan walked hesitantly to his mother, wrapping an arm around her shoulder. He gave it a little squeeze as if to comfort her. He spoke in Chinese. “Mom, calm down.” He turned to his father. “Dad, I’m not marrying her. I’ve made my decision.”

“Are you certain of that, son?” he hissed. “If you even think about backing out from this marriage I’ve arranged for you, I will make sure that that woman you love and her family will feel the pinch. She’s going to regret barking up the wrong tree, Wu Yi Fan. I will make sure of that.”

Wu Fan scowled at his father. “No!” he snarled. “Don’t lay a finger on her, Dad. Don’t hurt her. You can hurt me all you want but don’t ever think about hurting her or any of her family.”

“Or what, Wu Fan?” he dared.

“Or I’ll destroy you myself,” he threatened.

Mr. Wu laughed smugly. “You think you can do that? I’m pretty sure you can’t, son. Even those who own bigger companies than what you have right now can’t defeat me, let alone my own son who has yet to learn.”

“Just don’t hurt her!”

“I won’t,” his father says, “if you agree to marry Gillian.”

Wu Fan was beyond infuriated. How could he marry Gillian when he doesn’t even love her? Now that he’s finally going to settle down, another problem comes up. If he agrees to marry Gillian, Soojin and her family would be spared from whatever his father would threaten to do. He can’t just underestimate his own father. He knows what he’s capable to do.

Come up with a plan. You’re smarter than this.

Wu Fan turned around, his back facing his father. He dashed out of the room and searched for Soojin. When he found her near the refreshments table, laughing and talking with Baekhyun and Chanyeol, he snatched her away from them. In a flash, he dragged her out of the room.

He never looked back.


 

hurhur :">