The First Day of Work

"Let me move in with you and I won't spill that you're Kim Jonghyun!"

Ha Neul's POV

Finally, it was Monday morning and I was standing in front of the huge building containing SM Entertainment. (I didn't live that much behind the moon to fail to recognize the company my uncle worked at.) Hyo Rin would flip though, if she knew I worked here. Luckily my stumbling upon hearing her question had diverted her thoughts that day. I wouldn't have known what to do otherwise. I couldn't let her know I worked in the same building as her boys! If I did, she'd do everything to make me let her come along! It would be even worse than when she was convincing me to attend the fan-session! This is also to protect her from herself because she'd certainly make a complete fool of herself. And I'm sure that's not the impression she'd want to leave on her idols...

But that was not my problem at the moment. A more pressing issue by far was the question how to get past the crowd camping and chanting in front of the entrance. My dear uncle had been too busy to remember that a badge was needed for the back entrance. Taking the main entrance wasn't option since I'd be immediately recognised as a fan by the security that then would stop me from entering. And on Uncle Soo Jong's cell phone came only the answer machine.

I must have looked rather lost for four guys walked towards me at the same time. They looked like gangsters with their hoodies and dark sunglasses and you'd never expect them to help anyone.

Of course, at first, I thought they'd just walk past me. But then they stopped in front of me and one of them asked, if they could help me.

Although slightly intimidated, I told them of my problem. And to my astonishment, they seemed to know who I was.

"Ah! You're Kwon Soo Jong-ssi's new assistant?" The one with the funny - sorry, fashionable; those weird designs were considered fashionable at the moment - necklace said.

"Yes, that's me... How do know that?"

"Lee Soo Man's secretary told us last week that ajussi will get a new assistant," said the guy who'd first spoken. "But let's go inside; we have badges for the back entrance. And we can bring you to ajussi’s office. It’s on our way anyway." They were idols then, huh…

"Aren’t you a little gullible? How do you know I’m not a fan or a reporter pretending to be lost?" I mean, that's the first trick I'd try as a reporter.

"An idol's intuition," he grinned and raised his hand, with which he was holding a bag from the Chicken Corner, signalling me to follow them. I shrugged my shoulders and, in lack of better options, obeyed.

He really had a badge and we got in without a problem. But once we were inside all hell broke loose.

Apparently, they went outside without permission and now they got reminded by their manager how dangerous and irresponsible and risky and careless that was. And that they were lucky not to know yet just how scary the paparazzi could be. And—

I figured that they were too busy now explaining themselves to their manager to help me find my uncle’s office; therefore I went to look for it myself. And fortunately, it wasn’t too hard; the person in charge of the signs and floor plans had done a good job.

Uncle Soo Jong’s office looked like a battle field. His desk looked like Manhattan Downtown made of paper skyscrapers and the floor was covered with all kinds of electronic devices. There was a Samsung Galaxy Tablet lying on top of a computer from the Stone Age and the innards of a printer besides something that looked like an old mixing console to me. And two of the walls were purely wall closets full of more electronics. One door was left open because the speakers inside were too large.

There was second desk beneath the chaos, which was going to be my future workplace, as my uncle told me after he had appeared behind the paper-Manhattan and welcomed me.

“You can use this laptop, if you need to take care of something outside this office,” he said. “And in here, you can use this screen…” Out of the depths of the electronics jungle, he conjured one of those high-tech screens that don’t need a hard disk anymore but work on a central server somewhere in the cellar.

And after he’d put the stuff that was on the desk somewhere else, he explained the new software – called aideM – to me. It took us all morning.

He also gave me a tour of the whole building and all the electronic devices they had and told me how they worked. That took us all afternoon.

So, this is how I spent my first day at SMTown and my head was spinning from all the new information when I walked towards the back entrance. (I had a badge now, after I’d asked Uncle Soo Jong about it. ^^)

When I held the badge against the recognition device I remembered those four guys from this morning and wondered if they were alright. I hoped they hadn’t been punished too much. After all, they had been my saviours.

 

Jonghyun’s POV

“You know, it’s your own fault… You were lucky not to have been recognised! Choi Jin-ssi had every reason to be furious!” I said.

“But we wanted to eat chicken…” Onew reasoned. *Sigh* Onew and his chicken…

You wanted to eat chicken!” Key snorted. “Besides, you’re supposed to be the responsible one…” Yeah, supposed to be…! :I

“But once we were in front of the booth you ordered the bigger portion!” Onew defended himself. “And if we didn’t go out, we wouldn’t have met Kwon Soo Jong-ssi’s new assistant…” Oh, they did? Is she cute?

“Oh, you did?” I asked.

“Yup,” Key answered. And after studying my face for a second: “And yes, she was cute…” Damn mind-reader!

“…but not your type!” He finished with a taunting smile. I rolled my eyes.

"But maybe it's an unwritten law that the only one in here who has brains prefers girls with no brains but big s instead," Key said to Onew in a low voice while looking at me teasingly.

"Well, sorry for my taste in girls!" It wasn't like they didn't like them bigger either!

"Naa, it's alright. At least it's better than being hung up on a ..." We all glanced at Taemin.

"What?" He protested. "I'm not hung up on her anymore! I've been over her for a long time now!" The picture underneath your pillow says otherwise though...

"Anyway," Onew said to break the uncomfortable silence that followed. “You don’t have that much of a choice of girls these days; with that ‘new’ style of yours. So you should take what you can get!”

“Yeah, yeah. Just you laugh!” I scowled. “But at least I’m still demanding something of my brain while you’re getting dumber and dumber by the day. And please don’t call it my ‘new style’!” I shuddered. Already the thought of those horrible cloths being my usual cloths made me shiver. “It’s a disguise. A disguise!”

“Sure, sure,” Onew waved it away. “But seriously, Key, where did you get these cloths? Any store selling them would instantly go bankrupt!”

Yeah, I’d wondered about that too. If it hadn’t been for his help I couldn’t have come up with such a perfect disguise. I just hope they didn’t use to be his old cloths! That would change my impression of him completely…

“No, I really went to some stores and just bought what I’d never wear, even if my live depended on it…” Key answered with a playful smile probably remembering his unusual hunt.

“HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA, that’s true!” I laughed out loud. “If even you wouldn’t wear it, it has to be reeeeeally bad!”

That got me a playful punch from him. “Oy, I’m very picky with choosing my outfits!” He sulked.

“True,” Onew conceded. “But you really bought them in a store?”

“Yes, I really did!!!” He asserted annoyed. “You know, even nerds have to buy their cloths somewhere!”

 

Ha Neul’s POV

It had been an exhausting first workday and I wanted nothing else but to eat dinner and then go straight to bed. But when I opened the front door I heard my parents talking in the kitchen.

My dad’s home? Isn’t he supposed to be on a business trip? Did something happen?

I got my answer during dinner. I was emptying my rice bowl when my mother spoke up.

“Um, there’s something we need to tell you…” She started.

My brother and I looked up.  “Salary rise?” He asked half serious half joking.

My mother shot him a glare and shook her head. “No,” she said. “Your dad got transferred… so we need to move.”

“Where to?” I asked immediately. “I don’t need to attend another university, do I?” I would do anything to avoid that.

“Busan. I’m sorry, my dear, but that seems to be the only way…” My mom apologised.

No, you’re wrong. There IS another way.

“Then I’ll move out.”

 

-----------------------------

Here's the next chapter!!
So now she's announced she'll move out... But where to?
And why does Jonghyun need to disguise himself as a nerd??? ;-P

Many thanks to all those supporting my story!!! <3333
And to those who commented: I really loved reading them!!!! Thanks a bunch!! :DD

I'm off to sleep now... it's two in the morning... -_-