Her Facial Expressions

"Let me move in with you and I won't spill that you're Kim Jonghyun!"

Ha Neul’s POV

My first thought was to grab Shil Hye and scram. He was going to have SHil Hye’s head for this. And mine right after.

I risked a glance a t him; the poor guy looked like he was about to faint so I gently pushed him on the couch and started cleaning. I hoped that if I had this all cleaned up before he regained his senses, he might spare our lives.

But seriously, why did she do it? I wondered. It only happened twice before… The first time was after Woohyun oppa had had the idiotic idea to test what happens when you let a cat drink alcohol. =.= And the second time was after my dad had accidentally pushed his wine glass off the table and Shil Hye had been faster than us in cleaning it up…

So, in short, she only did it when she was drunk. But there was no liquor standing around anywhere… Moreover, in the morning she’d still been sober; she’d waited in front of Alien Terrorist’s room and had welcomed me vociferously once I’d stepped out.

Also it would have had to be quite a lot of alcohol. Because that time Woohyun oppa already gave her a good quantity and it wasn’t as bad. But this time, it looked like she went all out and had partied all day…

I shook my head; I really couldn’t think of a reason.

------

I was about halfway through the living room when Alien Terrorist came back to life. I stopped wiping the floor as he strode towards me with a dangerous look on his face. Even the cuteness of the hoodie didn’t help. But I didn’t back away.  If I showed him that I was intimidated, I’d already have lost.

So I stood my ground as he stopped only inches away from me and loomed over me. I tried to shrink though; as much as possible.

“Hwang.Ha.Neul,” he snarled. Here it comes… “I agreed to let you stay here so you would keep my identity a secret. I even agreed to let your cat stay. But if you, or your cat, destroy my apartment I will sue you for breach of domestic peace! And that’s an understatement!”

I felt like a rabbit in front of a starving lion. His murderous aura was overwhelming. I held my breath fearing he’d kill me if I even did as much as move my nostrils. It also had the nice side effect that I was no longer able to smell this scent that made me want to hug the lion… Seriously, Ha Neul, since when did you become suicidal…?!

After what seemed like eternity he finally stood straight and looked around. “Where is that monster anyway?”

I started roaming my eyes around the living room as well when I noticed that the door to Alien Terrorist’s bedroom was ajar.

Uh-oh… Shil Hye, he’s going to kill you…

I turned to him again and tried to convince him into looking some TV so I could secretly get Shil Hye out of his room. Thank god his favourite TV series was airing at that moment!

As I tiptoed to his room I prayed that Shil Hye had at least had the decency to not mess up his room too…

I shot a last glance over my shoulders to make sure he was distracted by the TV and slipped into his room.

I exhaled relieved; everything was still in place.

But, as expected, Shil Hye was sleeping soundly in the middle of the covers, like she owned the bed.

So I slightly tugged at one of the covers she was lying on to wake her up. Don’t EVER touch a sleeping Shil Hye if you value your scarless face.

She raised her cute head and gave me a pointed look. I tugged again, this time a little harder, and she finally decided to move her .

However, instead of getting out of the room she started touring it. Seriously, this cat…!

“Shil Hye!” I called in a low voice while giving her a stern look and pointed to the door.

And she finally complied. Ever since I’d once thrown a shoe after her she follows quite well…

After she’d left the room I erased Shil Hye’s traces from his bed and tiptoed back to the door. I quickly let my eyes wander around the room once more to check whether I’d missed something and that’s when I noticed the open liquor bottle lying on the ground near his bedside table. He must have drunk some last night before going to bed…

I sighed. Well, at least that explains it… Alien Terrorist must have forgotten to put the cap back on the bottle last night and then this morning he must have been too lazy to close the door properly… (Because I had!)

But what was I going to do with it? I couldn’t just leave it there or he would find out that Shil Hye had been in his room. I guess I had no choice…

I picked the bottle up – there was really no liquor left – and slipped through the door again. Alien Terrorist was still concentrating on the show. Thank god! I then went to the kitchen and refilled the bottle with water praying that the original liquid had been transparent too. I put the cap back on and sneaked to the living room. As Alien Terrorist’s attention was still taken by the show I sneaked to the cupboard and hid the bottle among other liquors. I just hoped that he wouldn’t pick that particular bottle too soon…! >.<

“What are you doing sneaking around like that?” He suddenly asked without even turning around to look at me and my heart nearly jumped out of my chest from the fright.

“T-trying to walk like a ghost?” I fibbed. “B-by the way have you seen Shil Hye?” That rascal had disappeared yet again.

“No? Weren’t you looking for her?”

“Y-ye, I found her but she’s disappeared again…”

“Well, I haven’t seen her…”

“Okay…” Maybe that was better anyway… I wasn’t sure if she was already completely sober; it had been a whole bottle after all!

I turned away and went to search again fearing she’d discovered another forbidden room. But she was nowhere to be found. In the end I gave up and returned to the living room.

And nearly burst out laughing.

My cat had snuck up to Alien Terrorist who had been too engrossed into the show to notice her, and jumped on his lap. He wanted to stand up and get away from her up but sat back down again; probably not wanting to make her fall. Shil Hye turned a few times and lay down facing the TV.

The poor guy looked completely flustered. I bit my lip. Puahahahahaha!

I walked up to them, trying to contain my laughter.

“She likes you,” I said astonished, but still trying not to laugh at his face. Up until now Shil Hye had always kept her distance to him. So I figured that she didn’t like him all that much. But I guess I had thought wrong…

Alien Terrorist then looked up to me with utter shock and helplessness written all over his face and it was over with my self-control. I laughed so hard I felt tears in my eyes. I quickly reduced it to giggles though when I saw the irritation crease building up.

“She’s chosen you as her new toy,” I said with the corners of my mouth twitching. “Feel honoured!"

When Shil Hye liked someone, she’d make them her toys. She’d hide their socks, shoes, and other seemingly unimportant things, get in their way at the most inconvenient time, wake them up in the middle of the night to make them play with her, and annoy them to no ends. I knew because I’d gone through it all.

Still laughing I went into the kitchen to get some water. Shil Hye, you really never fail to surprise me…! Heh, well, it looks like your life will be a lot more fun during the next few days, my dear roommate…!

I couldn’t stop giggling at the thought and almost spilled the water.

 

Jonghyun’s POV

I was sitting on my bed and tried to stay awake. At first I tried working on the song I was writing. But then my brain got too tired to stay focused and my thoughts started to wander.

What came first to my mind was the utter chaos that that little monster had created. I felt faint by just remembering it. I should have never let that Ghosty and her cat into my apartment! She was a walking disaster! Trouble followed her wherever she went!

And yet I couldn’t bring myself to stay angry at her…

I may have been beyond furious, right then. Yes. But that had only been in the spur of the moment… the few minutes of shock after my brain had fully registered the extent of it…

And as soon as I had seen her petrified expression, how utterly frightened she had been, it had been like all my anger evaporated… instantly…

In fact, I’d even wanted to pull her into a hug and tell her that there was no reason to be afraid…! I’d had to look away or I would have actually done it!

I shook my head. This was crazy! I was crazy!

I mean I even trusted her enough to let her keep secrets! Her! A women! (Yes, I know I didn’t see her as a women but she was nonetheless female…!)

--- FLASHBACK ---

I saw Ghosty tiptoe around behind my back through the mirror hanging beside the TV.

“What are you doing sneaking around like that?” I thus asked curiously.

“T-trying to walk like a ghost?” She fibbed. Cute. “B-by the way have you seen Shil Hye?” I guess she hadn’t found her yet.

“No? Weren’t you looking for her?” I asked nonchalantly pretending to be watching TV attentively but actually observing her reaction closely.

“Y-ye, I found her but she’s disappeared again…” She looked around the living room.

“Well, I haven’t seen her…”

“Okay…” She seemed to think about something but then she walked away.

--- END OF FLASHBACK ---

I’d clearly known that she was hiding something, that she was doing something behind my back! And yet I hadn’t said anything! Hadn’t inquired! Hadn’t asked!

Because I had been too busy observing her reaction and studying her face…

Yes… why did I find watching her facial expressions so interesting?

Because just a few minutes after as well… This time, her laughing expression…

--- FLASHBACK ---

That little monster had appeared out of nowhere and had jumped onto my lap when I least expected it. I almost had a freakin’ heart attack! I wanted to stand up but then she would have fallen down so I sat back again and eyed her nervously. I didn’t know whether I should be scared or angry.

“She likes you,” I suddenly heard Ghosty say beside me and I looked up. Her lips were twitching.

The shock and the nervousness I was feeling must have been more than evident. Because as soon as she saw my face she burst out laughing. She laughed so hard she even had tears in her eyes. I gulped. What was this feeling? This feeling of wanting to laugh along just because her laughter was so beautiful? I frowned, confused.

 “She’s chosen you as her new toy,” She said between giggles. “Feel honoured!"

--- END OF FLASHBACK ---

Even now, by merely remembering it, I felt a smile tugging at the corner of my lips.

What was it about that face of hers and its expressions that was this fascinating?

But no matter how I thought about it I couldn’t find an answer.

It reminded me of what the shop ahjumma had said though and I guess she had spoken the truth; Ghosty did show a lot of different facial expressions now…

But why didn’t she back then? And what’s it got to do with the ‘Maybe he paid her’? And why won’t she tell me?! When she already promised me to!

Irritated, I frowned at the wall behind which Ghosty’s room was. “Yah! You should keep the promises that you make, you know?!” I silently reprimanded the wall. “And now you’re even ignoring me?! Well, then don’t complain when I go ask someone else…!”

But who would I ask? I didn’t know her family nor her colleagues or friends…

No, wait… I knew this friend of hers – what was her name again? Ah yes, Park Hyo Rin! Maybe she knew? Ghosty did mention that they had been friends for years… Would she tell me thought? There might actually be a good chance, no…? If the Bling Bling Jonghyun asked her, she would answer, right?

Suddenly, I heard footsteps in front of my door indicating that Ghosty was coming over. I hurriedly slipped under the covers and pretended to be sleeping.

I heard as she quietly opened and closed the door and tiptoed to the side of my bed. I then felt her take my hand into hers and her hair touch my arm as she laid her head on the bed. I slowly opened my eyes a little and saw her sitting beside my bed in her usual position.

“Don’t sleep in that position anymore from now on,” I said in a low voice and her head shoot up. “It’s unhealthy. Sleep on the bed instead. It’s big enough.”

Her eyes got wider with every word I said and as far as I could tell in the darkness there was a slight blush on her cheeks. Adorable…

“Y-y-you’re awake…?!” She stuttered and I felt the corners of my lips turning upwards.

“Oh.” I scooted over to the other side of the bed and patted the place I’d been just lying on. “So, come on. You’ve been doing this for way too long already.”

But she shook her head violently. “No! I’m fine! Besides you know what I do when I sleep on the same bed with someone…” She cast her eyes down. Cute.

“You mean you turning into a koala when asleep?” I asked with a playful smile on my lips and remembering how I had woken up this morning.

Ghosty nodded embarrassed.

“You know, I don’t mind that much…” I heard myself say. Ehhh? I don’t? Me?! When I even kick my members out of bed when they get to close?!

“Really…?” She eyed me sceptically. Rightly. But I couldn’t back out now…

“Hmm…”

“And you won’t break contract nr. 3?”

Nr. 3? What was that again? “What was nr. 3 again?”

“’Kim Jonghyun cannot ask anything from Hwang Ha Neul that would damage her private space.’”

“You learned that contract by heart?!” I sat up surprised.

She shrugged her shoulders and nodded. “Why not?”

“For real?! But it’s just some piece of paper…! Isn’t it a waste of energy?”

“What ‘just some piece of paper’! It’s a valid contract!” She looked at me indignantly.

“Arasso, arasso!” I gave in while smiling amused. “So, get on the bed already! I wanna go to sleep… And I won’t break our contract…” I added when she still hesitated.

I then lied down again and turned around so that my back was facing her. And after a few seconds I finally felt her climb onto the bed and I smiled, contented. Now, I could go to sleep with my mind at ease…

I was almost off to dreamland when Ghosty’s whisper pulled me back again. “Um, then… please excuse me…” And she wrapped her arms and legs around me all koala-like just as she had done the night before.

I caught my breath, surprised. All of a sudden I felt very much awake again. Damn, just what had gotten into me when I’d said I didn’t mind her sleeping habit?! Although my friends called me the king of skin-ship my bed was the only exception…

But because of some stupid attack of guilt and compassion I was now forced to lie on my own bed all tensed up and with a weird (but not uncomfortable?!) feeling spreading through my body…! I think even my heart beat louder and faster than normal…! Aishh! What a pain! =.=

But well, this surely was a fail-proof way to keep the nightmares away… Not to sleep at all, that is… T.T

 

-------------------------------

Hey everyone! Next chapter's out! ^^ Hope you enjoyed it...