Coincidence

Bring It, Kris Wu

 

 

Yumi's POV
 
Despite knowing I won't be sitting in the same car as him, I still felt jittery in my stomach. Plus, being exposed wearing a dress only made everything a lot more awkward.
 
"Hey manager! Neomu Yeppuda!".
I turned my head to see Kai skipping over with his usual goofy mannerism.
"Thanks." I chuckled, "You look very..." I struggled to find a fitting Korean phrase.
 
"You can say 'y' ". Kai whipped his bangs dramatically.
"Aishh, just get in the car." Chen rolls his eyes and pushes Kai from behind.
 
I shook my head at the line of goofy boys messing around while trying to get into the car. But from behind me, I could feel this burning presence, as if he was staring at me. But I shook that feeling off and got in my van.
 
 
It only took about 10 minutes to get to the gigantic hotel in the middle of the city. Right when I got off, I spotted Heiri and ran over to her.
"Unnie, I'll leave the rest to you." I spoke before turning around.
 
"Ya!" I felt my arm being pulled back. "I'm substituting your job only for tonight, alright?" She looked at my with an eyebrow raised.
 
"Alright, thank you unnie, you're the best!." I grinned cheekily and headed towards the main entrance.
 
 
Of course, this was only my temporary escape in order to avoid any drama with him. Now that Heiri's taking my place as manager, I can actually focus on my job.
Standing in front of the giant entrance, I greeted and checked in floods of celebrity guests, helping them map their way around this outlandish building.
 
"Yumi you look so gorgeous!"
I looked up to see a smiling Tiffany running towards me, arms extended.
"Thank you, you too!" I smiled and embraced her.
 
Sunny then popped up and our eyes met. "Oh! Yumi! Wow..." she giggled and walked up to us. Soon, the rest of the girls entered, and were all surprised upon seeing me not in working clothes. After checking them in, I led them to their seats in the main dining hall.
 
"Any refreshments?" I asked.
"Umm I think we're okay, thank you!" Taeyeon answered as the rest of the girls nodded.
"Alright, you girls are..." I paused and flipped through the papers in my hand, "...the third group to perform. The show starts at 5, reception at 6 and dinner at 7, sound good?"
 
They all nodded and I reorganized the papers in my hands.
"This is such a nice dress too." Tiffany said and examined a part of the fabric. "Where'd you get it?"
I smiled, "It was Heiri unnie who picked it out."
"Ohh..." Tiffany nodded but then tilted her head. "You know...this dress...also reminds me of something."
My head also tilted.
 
"Hmm...maybe it's the black and white color scheme..." She murmured. For the next few seconds I just stood there in semi confusion. "Where...did I see this?" Her eyebrows furrowed.
 
I followed her gaze as she slowly glanced up.
 
"AH!" She suddenly bursts. "There!"
 
Tiffany pointed in the direction in front of her, making me and the rest of the table look.
 
 
But before I could even process anything, my heart jumped.
 
It was him, followed by the rest of the guys.
 
For some reason my eyes wouldn't move, as much as I wanted to.
 
"It's Kris! That's what your dress reminds me of!"
 
I snapped my gaze back to the excited Tiffany. But then it hit me.
Slowly looking up towards his direction, I looked what he was wearing. And slowly glancing down, I realized what I was wearing.
 
Holy smokes.
We were practically matching.
 
But...
 
But how?
 
Oh wait.
 
Heiri. I should have realized.
 
 
"You two are matching! That's so cute!" Sooyoung giggled.
"...Uhh...that..." I stuttered, "It's...it's just a coincidence! It's only the color..." My voice faded.
"Even so, having a color match is rare." Jessica said with a grin.
 
I swallowed. "Anyways, you guys rest for now, I'll...go back to work." I turned around and left the room as quick as I can, silently praying that no one else would notice this...coincidence.
 
But I quickly shook off that thought and mentally reminded myself of my responsibility tonight. I can't get distracted.
 
For the next three hours, I literally had to run all over the place. Everything from microphone checks, guest services, food catering, schedule maintaining and all the colors of the rainbow, I had to take care of. Finally after hours of sprinting, I got my first taste of freedom and rest by having the luxury of sitting down. My feet were pretty much dead, and all the energy from my legs were stripped clean.
 
"Yumi! There you are." A female voice called out.
I looked up to see Mrs. Kim, the bride, walk towards me.
"Congratulations Ahri unnie!" I smiled at the bride.
"Thank you so much Yumi." She pulled me into a full embrace. "You've worked so hard today, we really appreciate it." She beams.
"I'm glad we were able to --ACK!" My eyes widened in complete shock after noticing I had just fell back down into my chair.
Well that's awkward.
 
My eyes slowly glanced up to the bride, who was now hiding her giggles behind her hands.
"I'm...sorry." I said, rubbing the side of my leg. "I kind of...walked a little too much."
"Oh no no," She laughs, "You've worked way too hard, and look at those shoes you had to wear."
 
I laughed in embarrassment. "Yeah..."
"How about this." She paused and headed towards her own table. Grabbing her purse, she walked back with a gold colored card in her hand. "Here, take this and go rest in my room."
 
Rest? Wow, that concept feels so far away.
 
For a few seconds, I can only stare dumbly at the card. "But..."
"Don't worry!" She pats the side of my cheek. "You've already done your job, you deserve a good rest." With that she puts the card in my hand.
 
Silence fell upon me again. But now that I think about it, I don't think I'll be needed for the rest of the party, so...might as well.
 
"Thank you unnie." I smiled at her before pushing myself up again. Time for some sleep.
 
 
 
Kris POV
 
A slight ache was starting in my head.
 
I was the only one left at our table, since the rest of them were scattered all around, chatting with other girl group members. I sat my arms onto the table and scanned the perimeter of the room, hoping to distract myself from my headache.
My eyes kept wondering until something moving caught my attention. It looked like person, but I still tried to focus on the object, not caring how much my head was now starting to hurt. But all that pain suddenly disappeared, replaced by a sudden rush of adrenaline.
 
It's Yumi.
 
It's her, walking out.
 
Where is she going?
 
I didn't even think twice before pushing myself up. My eyes still fixed on her moving figure as I tried to make my way around and incoming crowd of people. But all of a sudden, a force suddenly collided with my shoulder, breaking my attention. I had no choice but to look down, since something cold was now running now my arm.
 
"I'm so sorry sir! I was not paying attention at all..." A waiter spoke in panic as he sat down his plate of spilled wine.
"It's uhh...it's fine." I said at the man who tried to wipe my sleeve. But nothing bothered my more than to know where she is. But as I look back up, she had already disappeared.
 
"We'll compensate for our damage and get this cleaned for you." The waiter said with a bow.
I held my hand up. "Ah...don't worry about it, it's--"
 
"Oh, what happened here?" A familiar voice announced from behind me. I turned to see Producer Kim, the groom, walk towards me with a confused smile.
 
"Producer Kim," I slightly stuttered, "Congratulations sir." I bowed. The waiter, who was just getting up from his bow, went down again after seeing the groom approach us.
 
"Thank you Kris! It's been a long time." He laughed. "But uh, what's going on here?"
"Uh...this--"
"I was not paying attention to my surroundings and...spilled wine on our guest." The waiter spoke with his head still low.
 
Mr. Kim slowly nodded and turned his attention to me. "It's not a lot is it?"
"Ah...no, not at all." I said, which was pretty much a lie since I could feel the wine drip down my sleeve.
 
He chuckles and reaches into his suit pocket. "Well it certainly looks like a lot to me." He said and took out a gold card.
"Better get changed out of it, it wouldn't be good to have wine on your clothes for the rest of the night." He smiled and held the card towards me.
"Go up to my room, I've got a few extra jackets."
 
I stared blankly at the card. "Uh...sir..." I wasn't sure if I was catching on.
"Don't worry about it, it's a...way of saying thanks for your show today."
 
After a brief second, my lips curled into a smile. "Thank you sir." I bowed before taking the card.
 
Stepping into the lobby, my mind immediately switched back to Yumi. My eyes wandered around in desperation, but nothing of her resemblance came into sight.
 
 
That girl...where is she?