Heart Ache

Bring It, Kris Wu

 

Yumi's POV
 
I had no idea how long I could keep my straight face. My insides were literally burning, and my heart was beating so fast that my breath began to shake.
 
But, I still had to hide it.
 
His eyes lowered, scanning the floor from place to place as if he lost something. Finally, he took a breath, and my stomach twisted in a knot.
 
"Yumi listen..." He mutters, eyes still low. "Last night...it was..."
 
The tension between his words were killing me, but his eyes finally faced mine.
 
"Last night...it was just a joke." He finished.
 
 
I felt the biggest jab into my heart.
 
A joke.
 
Of course.
 
Why else would he tease like that?
 
 
" I know." I answered almost immediately.
 
He gave a confused look. "...Well...it's...I'm sorry, I was just playing--"
 
"You were just playing around with me like you always do." I cut him off. "I get it, is there anything else?" My tone was harsh, even I was a bit taken back.
 
His somber expression only added more to my resentment. It suddenly felt as if everything we've done until now meant nothing.
 
Yeah, I was his manager, but also a girl he knew growing up, which meant he knew almost everything that I could and could not tolerate.
 
Now that he can read me like an open book, he teases me.
 
The sudden memories of our childhood days made me feel silly. I actually though Kris only teases me because he liked me. All the adults I used to complain to told me the same things: he likes you. And I believed them, not because I was naive, but because I wanted to. His presence eventually became everything to me, but both of our pride had me pretend it was insignificant.
 
We grew up, we changed. And now it's just a game.
 
 
The same knot was returning to my throat, and I was desperately drying to direct my attention from an incoming pool of  tears. He on the other hand, returned his gaze towards the floor, letting out another sigh.
 
"No..." He mutters, barely audible. "It's not...that....that's not what I meant to say."
 
"Save it. There's no point." I professed. My voice was starting to shake. "Just go back and practice, you have a big show in three days."
 
After those last few words, I immediately turned the other way. Pacing down the empty hall, my cheeks became damp.
 
Maybe I was too naive afterall, because I had lost.
 
 
 
Kris POV
 
No.
 
That's not it.
 
Damn.
 
I screwed up.
 
Again.
 
This overwhelming ache took over my body, and I wasn't sure whether my feet should stay or run after her. I knew she had to be crying, and it's all because of me.
 
An endless train of curses filled my head.
 
If only that idiotic pride of mine hadn't taken over, I could have said it.
 
What I really meant to say was that, I was playing around...only because I love how flustered she gets. The fact that she loses her guard makes me want to hold her close and protect her.
 
But that's useless now.
 
Her words were too strong. All my remaining courage was shattered.
 
 
 
"...Uh..." A muttering voice came from my left. "Hyung...are you...okay...?"
My eyes shifted to see several heads popped out the door, all wearing confused expressions; their usual talkative and flirtatious side completely vanished.
 
"Just practice without me." I murmured before heading towards my dorm.
 
I had lost.
 
 
Yumi's POV
 
I didn't even give myself the proper time to sulk. There were more important things, and my own emotions aren't important in this industry.
 
Checking our company schedule and making arrangements with the assigned hotel, I tried distracting myself by going into full working mode. 
 
But it obviously did not work well. My pace was no where near my expectations.
 
 
For the next two days, I didn't even visit the practice room. I asked Heiri to check up on them, lying to her that I was too busy with making arrangements. After stretching the lie even further, she agreed to temporarily be their manager on the day of the wedding.
 
 
 
 
"Okay ready?" Minjun, the makeup unnie asked before setting my hair out. It was the day of the Producer's wedding, and everyone, including me, had to prepare 5 hours ahead.
 
"Yeah but...why do I have to dress up too?" I asked.
She playfully sighed. "You're not going to be behind the scenes, this is a wedding, everyone has to look nice."
"But I'm just a manager."
"Yeah, but I'm going to show all the other managers how dazzling ours can be."
 
I chuckled and gave in to a long sigh. I noticed Minjun look at me for a few seconds, but then sat her hands on my shoulders.
 
 
"It's Kris, isn't it?" 
 
 
A huge flash of cold sweat attacked me.
 
...What?
 
I immediately looked up after that question, which was totally, totally, out of the blue.
"Um...what...?" I barely whispered.
 
"That sigh, I recognize it." Minjun began. "Every girl sighs like that when there's some complication with the boy she likes."
 
What in the world?
 
No way. 
 
"Uh...Unnie, you're just exaggerating." I pronounced convincingly. In reality, I could already feel the cold sweat from my neck.
She chuckles. "Oh don't lie, it's obvious something happened between you two." Her eyes now looked right into mine throught the mirror. "If you're wondering why I know, it's because I'm the makeup artist. Whenever I prepare EXO, you two are always meddling together, which is why his makeup always gets done last."
 
Just from that?
 
I swallowed in complete disbelief. Were we that obvious? But right now, I had absolutely nothing to say back.
 
"You two are honestly still like kids, neither of you want to show your weak side."
 
Her words echoed through my head. She's right.
But still, what's the point in saying this now?
 
"Alright, you can think about this later, right now I need you to stay still." Minjun stated and pulled out her bag of brushes.
 
I could only stare at my reflection, trying to even out my breath. 
 
This isn't good. 
 
Just mentioning his name was throwing me off.
 
 
 
Kris POV
 
The past two days were hell. I barely ate, and even when I did, it was because the guys forced me. 
 
 
My mind was completely zoned out, and despite the commotion of stylists and makeup noonas running back and forth, I was in my own world. 
 
"Go put this on."
I snapped back to reality. Looking up, I saw Heiri holding some clothes in a plastic bag. 
"Hurry! Go put it on, we're going to leave soon."
 
I nodded before pulling out the outfit. 
 
Black suit and white tie. 
 
 
"Hyung, are you...ready?" Chanyeol's voice echo from behind. I tucked my collar and turned to face him.
"Yeah, I'm good." I answered with a fake smile. He nods and turns arounds, but immediately turns his gaze back to me.
 
"You know hyung," He walks closer, his voice just enough for me to hear. "I know it's not my business but...you really should just...face her, you know?"
 
 
My mind went blank.
 
 
For a few seconds, I just stared at Chanyeol but then slowly moved my gaze past him, only to see some of the guys giving worried glances at me.
 
 
Face her?
 
 
I didn't even have the courage to think of that.
 
 
 
 
"Alright, EXO we're ready to leave, and you guys are going in two separate cars." One of our directors spoke by the door.
 
 
Without saying anything back, I headed out towards the main parking lot. Vans lined the sidewalk, where our artists entered them one by one. I caught sight of our own van, but that attention immediately shifts to the girl standing in front of the vehicle.
 
Black dress, with a line of white around her waist.
 
 
There she is.