The Heard Grunts

Maybe It's Time...

 

Sajang-nim just finished explaining the new case and we already flew to Incheon.

This time, a letter was sent to another Senator named Woo Gin Won. There was only one sentence written on it – I’m going after you next.

When I first read it, I shuddered at the words. They sounded mysterious and creepy at the same time.

The techies already investigated the letter for any fingerprints or anything of that sort. While the letter’s out there, the case investigation team, which was composed of me, Jae, Agent Seunghyun, and others, were listening to the senator’s words.

Accordingly, he just woke up in the middle of the night feeling like there was someone staring at him secretly. He stood up and went to check the windows. Because he was living alone in this house, he wasn’t able to ask anyone else to check outside. He was scared as he ran down the stairs to lock the doors. He was half-expecting to see someone but was relieved to see no one but a letter on the floor. He picked it up and read it.

“Do you have anyone who you suspect to be the one doing this?” I asked.

He thought for a while. He nodded after a minute. “There’s one person I suspect but he’s behind bars now. So… I don’t know.”

The agents and I stared at each other knowingly, expecting the same name to come up.

“And who’s this?” Jaejoong urged.

“Senator Lee Kyung Wan,” he said.

I leaned back on my couch and exhaled exasperatedly.

I’m impressed by this senator. The NIS kept the information of how Senator Lee Kyung Wan was related to the murder of Senator Noh Seunghwan. We also didn’t expose Senator Noh’s drug scandal. We deliberately didn’t reveal any information since the case wasn’t disclosed and accomplished just yet. But this senator was able to point Senator Lee Kyung Wan as his suspect.

“Can you tell us your relationship with him?” I asked.

“I tried to indict him from his position,” he said truthfully.

“Why?” I asked.

“I found out about him using the government’s money in playing with girls. But apparently, I didn’t win. So, I’m very thankful to you that you were able to uncover his true being.”

I nodded as I thought further.

Two cases have been related to Senator Lee Kyung Wan. Could he be doing this? If he was, how did he do it?

 

Because we don’t want what happened with Senator Noh Seunghwan to happen once again, I assigned everyone to be scattered all over the house and outside the house. We also checked every corner for any bugs or hidden cameras but the house was clean.

I also divided ourselves into shifts in guarding the senator. All of us had experienced f being bodyguards so it was no problem with us.

Today, I was with Agent Seunghyun and Agent Seungri. We’ll be together in this shift for eight hours. So our shift would end at six in the evening. Perfect for meeting with Jiyong and I’ll have more time to prepare. I don’t know what’s wrong, that’s why I can’t wait for my shift to end.

After this first shift though, I’ll be on the night shift for the next days since I’m one of the best fighters in our group and the suspect would appear during midnight till dawn.

As for Jaejoong, he went to the headquarters to question Senator Lee Kyung Wan again.

I was lost in my thoughts as I was thinking with what Jiyong’s up to right now. He has been pulling out surprises under his sleeves since we met.

I heard Agent Seunghyun yawn loudly on my side, and then Agent Seungri followed. Just like me, the other agents were woken up in the middle of the night. I was the only one woken up at dawn since according to Jaejoong, I was a heavy sleeper for the first time.

I left my spot for a while and went into the kitchen. The senator clearly told us to feel at home, so I did.

I went on making two cups of coffee. When I finished, I went back to my spot.

“Here,” I said when I reached the two agents dozing off on their spots.

They were obviously startled. They were incredulously staring at me and to the cups of coffee on my hands, then back at me. Then they stared at each other.

Agent Seungri leaned on Agent Seunghyun’s ear and whispered. “Are we dreaming?”

“I heard you,” I said, smiling. “If you’ll not get this from my hands, I’ll drink this myself.”

They just blinked at me. Then they snatched the cups on my hands.

“Thank you,” they said in chorus, a little awkwardly though.

“Anyway…” I said as I went back to my post. “…good morning, Seungri and Seunghyun.”

I heard choking sounds as I laughed lightly.

 

It was the end of my shift when I heard two other agents arriving.

“Why are you alone?” I asked him.

“Agent Jae Sang said he had diarrhea so he went home,” one of them explained.

“Can the two of you do it?” I asked. “I mean, we clearly discussed that there’ll be three agents guarding the senator every shift.”

They bowed their heads.

I stared at my watch and turned to the agents. “Okay, I guess I can contact Jaejoong to replace Jae Sang. In the meantime, I’ll stay with you first.”

 

It has been two hours ago since I contacted Jaejoong. He didn’t even reply even once. I tried calling him but he won’t answer too. I don’t know where he is and the agents didn’t too.

Another hour passed and I grew impatient.

“I have somewhere else to go,” I told the agents. “Be sure to keep your eyes open.”

They nodded in response.

I immediately ran to the subway station to go back to Seoul. I wonder where Jiyong is. He hadn’t called since this morning. Maybe he was thinking that I was still busy with work and he didn’t want to disturb. And he clearly told me to call him the moment I’m not busy.

I had the phone clung to my ear as I heard the persistent ringing on the other line. Why the hell was he not answering? Was he mad? Oh gosh, I’m going crazy.

The moment I arrived, I immediately rode a cab and headed to school just to find it empty and dark.

I don’t know why but did I expect him to be waiting for me until this hour? It’s freaking past nine. Did I expect him to wait that long for me?

I turned my back on the school and walked towards the direction of my apartment. I was literally dragging my feet as I was both tired because of work and frustrated at myself.

I reached an alley just a few blocks from the school and I heard grunts. It was dark so I couldn’t see their faces. But I guess they were high school boys since they were the only ones who love beating up nerdy kids.

I stretched first before stepping into the dark alley. I needed this. I want to relieve my stress for a while and this is the exact way how to do it.

“You boys don’t have a life do you?” I asked as I stepped inside.

I heard gasps.

Oh, I didn’t expect this from them. They’re supposed to mock me saying I’m just a little petite girl whom they can play with like what happens to me every time I encounter things like this. But instead, I received collective gasps from them.

“What’s wrong?” I asked. “You scared of little girls like me? well, I’m not a little girl like you think.”

A car just passed by from the main road causing light to seep through the narrow alleyway and made me take a quick glance at the gang. They weren’t high school boys as I expected. They were grown-ups.

I flashed my eyes on the guy they had beaten up but there wasn’t light anymore.

I chuckled. “I thought you were high school boys. You ready for some action, guys?” I asked as I stood in my fighting stance.

One by one they attacked. They took punches and kicks one after another while I was unscathed. It went on and on until they were beaten to a pulp.

“You don’t mess with an NIS agent,” I told them while stepping one of them on his chest. I didn’t care right now if they knew my identity. It’s not like they’re going to tell me off.

They gasped again. Hah! They didn’t expect me to be this good.

I went to the poor guy that was beaten up a while ago. I though he was going to die his breathing was ragged. I picked him up from the ground as I slung his arm on my shoulder. We walked towards the main road.

The moment light his beaten up face, I found myself frozen on my spot.

-----

poster credits to irish_27