Foreign world

Eleven

They were late. All of them.

A last minute schedule set them back on their supposed class time with Ume and before they knew it, they had to leave for the airport.

"Arrghhhhh.... I feel so unprepared!!!!" Chanyeol dug his fingers into his hair.

"We might have to cancel the revision, Ume-ssi." The manager was apologetic.

"No - - " Sehun pouted again. 

All the rest of the members looked like they were lost in Tristan island and nobody knew their way out. Ume has the right contacts and experience and the boys obviously had heard a little of her "fame" in Taiwan, that's why they were reluctant to go without hearing something from her.

She checked her schedule again. There's no recording today. Shinae's hyunnie is overseas, so she won't be in any hurry to leave the set these few days.

"I'll go."

The manager widened his eyes.

"Eh?"

"I'll see whether there's any tickets left." Ume resolutely moved towards the air ticketing counter. 

The members' eyes glimmered with a sense of hope and Chanyeol, Baekhyun and Kyungsoo gathered around behind her at the ticketing counter.

"Yes, I see... Ok, thank you." Ume thanked the staff. 

Chanyeol let out a yelp as he punched his long limbs in the air: "Sam is coming with us!!!" 

___________________

 

Ume felt a sense of nostalgia when the familiar faces greeted her every time she walked into the room. 

They noticed her before all the others and most of them were anxious to get her updates or trying to update her with their own happenings. 

Gossips and graces flew and before she knew it, a massive amount of texts flooded her handphone with invitations for breakfast, lunch and dinner.

Ume declined most of them due to her tight schedule.

She had promised to help the boys in media interaction, not catch up with her own contacts, and most certainly, not to let her closer friends know what happened back in Seoul.

Ume's proud in that way. 

Not willing to allow anyone see her vulnerable side. Not when all it takes is just a little push to make all things crumble around her.

She stood taut behind the camera crew, watching as the boys deliver their lines according to how she had cautioned them to. Ume felt like it was her old job all over again. 

The trusty manager. Eyes on her artistes. 

They felt the encouragement in her eyes when someone highlighted something she knew will make it to the headlines. They toned down when someone's joke or awkwardness made her squeeze her eyes. 

Jongdae, even though he was there with the team, didn't seem to affect Ume one bit.

This was her territory. 

She left it for him. 

And now she is back. 

Not needing him anymore.

____________________

During dinner that night after the showcase, which was already late at 9pm, the boys gushed their thanks. There's still one more interview to go in the morning before they leave for Seoul.

"Noona, are you staying in the hotel?" Joonmyun asked.

Aish... she hadn't thought about that. The flight was such a last minute decision. Her family wasn't in Taiwan. After her parents died, her brother moved to Hongkong with his fiancee and they have been living there ever since.

"I've a friend here whom I've already called." She lied, making sure her tone was casual. 

"Oh, are you in a hurry to get back?" Kyungsoo asked, his innocent eyes poring over Ume. Ume couldn't tell whether he had seen through her lie or just plainly asking a follow-up question. 

"No, she works late." Ume turned and smiled at Kyungsoo. 

"Can you go through our performance today with us later? M members will be having their own with their manager." Kyungsoo didn't looked like he was probing. Ume answered, relieved: "I'll go to one of your rooms. You guys can gather there wtih manager Park."

"We'll make it Kai's room. He's having some problems with his waist again. So it's better if he don't move much." Joonmyun eyeballed the other members to signal them of the meeting.

__________________

After a small talk with the staff and a few old friends at the banquet lounge, Ume walked down the halls towards Kai and Kyungsoo's room, thinking when was the last time she showered. It was in the morning. She must be stinking by now. Bringing her jacket to her nose, she sniffed. It's either she's stinking so much she couldn't tell anymore, or she wasn't doing so bad after all. 

Awkwardly, Kyungsoo had to open the door at this moment.

"Ume. Noona." 

She wondered why he added the noona as if he just remembered.

Kyungsoo wasn't quite sure either. She had looked... he was astonished at his word use--ravishing-- with her long hair carelessly cascading, movements fluid as she lifted her head up at him. Although she was doing a less than desirable action- sniffing her coat, he thought she looked cute with her blushing smile.

He liked seeing her like that. That bashful smile which embodies both girlishness and gentleness. It temporarily allowed him to see pass the rigid defence she always built around her. Every once in a while, he chanced upon this side to her. The first time was after Chen's meeting. Then it was that recording when their eyes met. Every time he got a glimpse of this vulnerability, he had the fierce urge to protect her. And...

What was he thinking about?

How can he, a mere boy, protect this strong-willed, obviously powerful woman?

"Kyungsoo ah..."

"Do you want to come in first? For a quick clean-up?" He walked towards her, trashing the weird thoughts flooding his mind just seconds ago. 

"Ah... thanks."

His leveled voice was like a strong fortress, as Ume stepped forth into safety. 

________________