Closer

Eleven

"Are you alright?" Ume hovered over Kai, who was sprawled across the bed in an awkward position to relax his back, looking like a corpse at an accident scene.

He opened his eyes, nodded and closed his eyes again.

"Noona, here's a set of clothings manager Park got the stylist noonas to buy just now. He said he's really terribly sorry for involving you in this stint at such short notice."

Ume took over the bag and smiled, "it's okay. I was worried he'll find it imposing I volunteered myself to come in the first place."

"Ah.. no, no... we all appreciate what you did. We couldn't have done it without you." Kyungsoo shook his head and hands at the same time, smiling earnestly. 

"Ha... thanks. Say, may I borrow a towel?" Ume walked towards the intricately clean bathroom.

"Kai and I used the ones the hotel provided just now.. ah..." He quickly stepped aside and opened his suitcase. "I have a spare one here, you can use it first. I'm not sure how fast the hotel staff can get us a towel before the guys come around. And you probably are feeling rather uncomfortable already. So if you don't mind..." He jogged towards Ume, offering his blue towel. "Here's mine."

Ume received the towel. "Ah, it's clean, don't worry." He gave his sunshine smile.

"Thanks." Ume slipped into the bathroom.

________________

After a revitalising shower, Ume wrapped the blue towel around herself. It smells of clean soap. Somehow this little observation made Ume feel a little shy.

When she opened the bag to check the contents, she was surprised to find a peach colored chiffon dress. She seldom wear pastel dresses like these. Her usual fashion includes a trusty pair of jeans or quarts with tee shirt or blouse. 

Ah, but the stylists probably doesn't know what size pants she's wearing, so they got her a free sized dress instead.

She was thankful anyhow, for the fresh underwear and apparel.

 

When Ume stepped out of the bathroom, all the six boys and manager Park were already sitting outside. 

"Woooah.... Sam!" Wolf whistles and loud hails filled the room. 

"What?" Ume tossed her hands helplessly.

"We've never seen you like this... " Chanyeol pointed his finger up and down at Ume. "...before."

"There's alot of things you've never seen me in before." Ume countered with a smirk. 

That lead to more woahs and wolf whistles.

_______________

 

Ume kept the pep talk short. She fathomed the boys should rest early and when it ended after 15 mins, it was 12:15am as the boys filed out of the room with manager Park.

Kyungsoo, however, was asking her another question about the music industry in Taiwan. 

They sat at the edge of Kyungsoo's bed whilst Ume talked about some of the close and personal encounters with artistes and production companies. 

Kai sat through another 15 mins of animated conversation before he finally rolled over and fell asleep. 

 

By the time Ume felt thirsty, it was 1 am. 

As she walked over to the table for a glass of warm water, Kyungsoo laid stretched out on his bed with one arm under his head. 

"I wondered what we'll be like after 5 years... they say that's the time when idol singers faces the biggest challenge."

"Well, that probably just means you guys should work harder to stay together." Ume tooked another big sip of water and turned towards Kyungsoo.

"How does people keep staying together?" Kyungsoo asked, staring at the ceiling.

"Eh?"

"I mean, what does it take for people to stay together for so long?

For even two people to stay together for long?" 

Ume sat down on the bed again. 

" Love? Commitment?" His gaze didn't move from the ceiling.

She absentmindedly laid down on the bed beside him, 

 

"I- dunno, Kyungsoo-ah."

If I knew, I probably would be happily married with two kids right now instead of being in limbo like this. Ume thought, her hands crossed in front of her stomach.

 

 

"Noona..."

"Hmm?"

"I've never asked this before cos... it seems rude. But... what happened between you and Dae-hyungie?" 

 

The question jolted Ume. She turned to look at Kyungsoo, who met her gaze.

That look again. 

Not inquisitive, but sincerely concerned.

That look which melted her defence. And made her feel... safe.

_____________

 

She told him everything. He only stopped her occassionally to ask her a few questions. But mostly, she was just talking and he was looking at her as if the things she's saying were the most important thing in the world. And to Kyungsoo, it probably was. He listened intently to the words rolling out of her lips, as the clock ticks, her voice gradually turning to quiet whispers. 

By the time she felt thirsty again, it was 2:05 am.

But this time, she didn't stand up for a drink. She wondered whether it's because she's getting too comfortable on the bed, or she was really sleepy, so when Kyungsoo touched her arm and whispered, "You're tired." It's like the magic spell lulling her into the land of dreams.

Kyungsoo quietly dimmed the bedside lamp and stared at her.

Her eyes were moist from tears she had obviously been holding back. Her lips looking soft and relaxed. He found himself his own lips.

What are you thinking about? Do Kyungsoo?

He placed a hand on her arm. She looked so vulnerable this second, and he had this odd notion that if he didn't hold on to her, she might just crumble and disappear. 

He closed his eyes, not daring to move.

___________________

 

 

 

When Ume flicked her eyes open again, she had a disjointed moment of where she was. She felt a weight on her right arm. 

Kyungsoo. He looks so attractive even in the semi darkness.

What?

Suddenly, she got a rude awakening that she's actually lying on a bed inches away from a healthy male who also happened to have his hand on her arm, sending her heart tripping instantly with this late realisation of such intimacy.

She must have gasped, because the boy started stirring and opening his eyes. 

 

_____________________