Leaving

Eleven

It turned out that Kyungsoo had eaten some cake the fans gave him, but a few minutes later started throwing up and feeling sick.

 "He was feeling faint, and cos I was the one holding on to him when coming down the stage, I could feel him shivering and getting delusional..." Baekhyun explained as they cut through the halls. "I was...really worried, you know. All the recent schedules lately didn't help with the condition. That's why when he mentioned your name, we thought it would be better if you come. W-we didn't know what was happening to him then..." 

Ume knew Baekhyun was erring on the side of caution. What if it had been fatal? If he had wanted to see Ume, the members would have made sure they exhaust all efforts to get her there.

The medics suspected he had intestinal poisoning and gave him a clean-up. With all the fandom wars going on lately, reporters were spreading news of anti-fans being the culprits, but after the doctor's explanation, the members fathomed it could be just a case of pure food poisoning.

"I believe he'll still be glad to see you anyway." Baekhyun smiled as he opened the door.

The rest of the members were crowded around in the room. When they saw her, they stepped away from Kyungsoo, who was lying on the bed with his eyes closed. 

"Kyungsoo-ah... Ume noona is here." Joonmyun placed a reassuring hand on Kyungsoo's thigh. 

Kyungsoo opened his eyes. 

"Hello, Kyungsoo-ssi." Ume's voice was only slightly louder than a whisper. A strange atmosphere settled in the room and Joonmyun ushered the members out. "Erm, we'll go get something to eat, Noona, please take care of him."

The members seemed to understand, because all of them filed out of the room without any protest. 

Ume stood at the same spot, unsure of what to do, whilst Kyungsoo directed his gaze at the ceiling, not daring to look at her. Awkwardly, she moved towards him, dragging the nearest chair to sit down. He blinked and turned to look at her.

 

"How are you?" Kyungsoo broke the silence first. But he sounded so weak Ume wanted to put a finger to his lips and tell him to get some rest.

"You should rest." She managed to say. 

"I will." Once he looked at her properly, Kyungsoo couldn't look away. She still looks the same, just thinner. And he wanted to tell her everything is all right. 

"Are you.. feeling painful?" She's concerned. 

"Ah... not so much now." He moved to sit up. 

"Don't-- "Ume placed a hand hurriedly on his chest. But the moment her fingers touched him, she drew it back, as if the touch burnt her. "Don't... move."

Kyungsoo didn't retaliate.

"Do you need some water?" She reached for the flask, needing for something to do with her hands.

"No, it's okay." Kyungsoo stopped her by clasping her wrist. They stayed suspended like that for a second before he let go and continuing casually: "So how are you doing?"

"I'm doing well."

Kyungsoo smiled. 

That smile...

"The members said you mentioned my name." she said quietly.

"Ah.. Did I?" he was slightly embarrassed. "I think I was saying something else. The members must have heard wrongly."

Of course, Ume thought. What was I expecting?

She squeezed her eyes and said: "I got a promotion."

"That's great!" Kyungsoo beamed brightly. 

"But... I won't be taking it."

"Why not?"

 

"I-- I'm leaving... back to Taiwan..."

Kyungsoo's smile faded.

"And... I'm not coming back."

__________________

 

Ume hadn't wanted to release the news to him. When the director first told her about the promotion, she knew she wasn't going to take it. Staying in Korea will only further remind her of some things she would rather not face. The feeling is so suffocating... the only alternative for her, was to leave. And she had carried that decision in her heart, not even telling Shinae.

But when Kyungsoo looked at her, all her defences were threatening to break loose. And she had to. To stop her from regretting what she had started.

__________________