1 x 1=

Eleven

It wasn't as easy as she expected.

She had arrived half an hour earlier and the departure gate where the boys will be exiting was already filled with enthusiastic fans. After 15 minutes of pacing along the gate, she cursed herself silently for the brash decision. She was only in a blouse with jeans and light sweater when she left the house with her wallet and passport, barely enough clothes for the freezing weather and as of now, she was jumping up and down to warm herself. 

Way to go Ume, you are an utter scatterbrain when it comes to love matters. 

She had tried calling manager Park but he probably haven't switched on his phone because he was in the plane. Contemplating whether to run to the shops for a thicker jacket or warmer shoes, Ume started to leave the gates and head towards the first thing which caught her eye-- a coffee shop. She desperately needed something warm. 

The queue was long and by the time she got her coffee and took her first sip, she heard screams. 

 

Ume ran towards the gate with the coffee in her hand and jumped as high as she could to see what's in front.

The myraid of bodies prevented her from any decent eye view and she could only deduce by the way the crowd was sprawling in different directions where the boys were walking. 

Ume fished out her phone and called Kyungsoo's number. But it was not switched on. 

I have to see him. Now. 

She was afraid her courage would probably fizzle away by the time she waited for them to go back to the dorm and call her back, and she wasn't entirely sure when she will be capable of such a powerful irrational act again. 

 

It's no use. The boys were moving out of the airport. She tailed the screaming mob out of the automatic doors and saw a trailer bus starting to move.

Ume pushed past the crowd and hopped into a taxi. "Please follow the bus in front, quickly!"

________________

 

When the taxi came side by side with the trailer bus, Ume noticed the unmistakable profile of Kyungsoo sitting by the window. She waved frantically to catch his attention, but immediately, someone drew the curtains and she couldn't see anymore.

Her adrenaline was draining and she was feeling the rational side of her threatening to grab the wheel to steer her back to where she belongs. 

Please... 

Her eyes darted around the trailer bus for some possible solutions. The thumping of her heart and the talkative deejay from the radio in the taxi was breaking her down. 

"And if you want to answer this question, call this number.... XXXXXXX ... XXXXXX I repeat XXXXXXX.. XXXXXX..."

And suddenly, she saw it. 

The bus driver was singing alongside to some song. And oddly enough, when the taxi got closer to the bus, Ume was surprised to find that he was singing the exact same song as the one that's playing on radio now.

He must be listening to the same radio station.

It's a long shot, but she had to try. 

She dialled the number the deejay had announced just now. It hung for the first two times. At the third time, she got in.

_______________

 

"Hello!"

"Sorry, but I have something really urgent going on and can I just ask the driver who is now driving license plate XXXX to stop the bus for a while?"

The deejay was clearly perplexed: "Ah, sorry, but this is a game and if you don't want to participate..."

"I want to! I want to participate!" Ume panicked. "But you see, I'm in a taxi right now just beside this bus and will the driver of license plate XXXX PLEASE stop the bus?!"

Just then, Ume saw the bus driver looking perplexed at the radio and then scanning all directions. She must be sounding hysterical because the deejay was threatening to hang up again. 

Before he could do it, Ume attempted one last time: "Yah! The bus driver! Yah!" She was hung up.

Suddenly, Ume saw a little commotion building up inside the bus as Chanyeol stood up, shouted something and pointed to the radio, then somebody was pulling all the curtains open and shaking the half-asleep Kyungsoo.

Ume saw Kyungsoo widening his eyes and following the others in their peeking out of the windows as Chanyeol shouted something again. Ume rolled down the taxi windows and waved as hard as she could.

"Kyungsoo-ah!!! Kyungsoo-ah!!!"

 

And then... He saw her.

 

 

Ume. 

Kyungsoo couldn't believe his eyes. 

She stopped waving when their eyes locked and said something. 

"What? What?"

She cupped her hands around and shouted again. 

"What? I can't hear you..! Stop the bus!"

Kyungsoo scrambled down the aisle and grabbed the bus driver.

 

 

He couldn't hear her. Ume watched as Kyungsoo sped to the bus driver and said something. Then the bus stopped along the curb. 

"Please stop the taxi!" Ume grabbed a handful of notes from her wallet and pass it to the driver without counting, tripping out of the taxi.

 

Kyungsoo-ah.

He was moving towards her.

 

Before she could move, the cold made her knees caved in and she almost passed out...

 

A pair of hands grabbed her. 

When she opened her eyes again, Kyungsoo was standing in front of her.

 

"Ume..."

"Kyungsoo-ah..." She breathed heavily. "I know... I know now... 1 x 1 is ... "

She didn't finish her sentence. 

 

He sealed her lips with a kiss. 

 

"I know." He smiled.

 

____________________

The End. 

 

 

Do you like the story? Heh heh! Tell me okay?