Break

Eleven

Ume did a double take.

She checked the handphone again to make sure she didn't accidentally pick up somebody else's phone. 

What am I thinking? It is that girl.

Ume spoke: "Yes?"

"Ume unnie... " 

She didn't expect to hear what's next.

The girl is crying.

"S-Song-Ah? A-are you... ?"

Before she could continue, the girl cried: "Jongdae... oppa... he dumped me."

Ume didn't know what to feel. She was supposed to be celebrating and throwing confetti in the air because these two ruined her life, but hearing her cry like that... Ume actually felt a pang of sadness.

"I-I'm sorry to hear that," Ume can't believe she said that. And to top it off, she actually meant it

"He said he couldn't concentrate on his career and he just wants a break. Just like that. He said I'm a good girl and he's not good enough for me.. "

Jerk... Ume silently thought to herself.

"I-I heard about you from him all the time." 

Ume jolted to attention. Jongdae... talked about her?

"He said unnie... unnie is a special person to him. And he is sorry to the both of us. I don't know what makes me call you. B-But somehow, I felt I needed to call you and say sorry. I'm sorry. I seemed to have taken a part in breaking the two of you apart. And now.. now..."

She cried again. 

Ume mustered up her courage and whatever that's left of her sensibility to calm the girl down. They met at a coffee shop the next day and talked. She is a nice girl indeed. And when they parted, with Song-Ah crying and hugging Ume, Ume knows that she will find her happiness somewhere near the future.

As for herself, she felt a part of her reborn when waving goodbye to Song-Ah. 

______________________

"End!"

The dance instructor made a motion with his hands and after unisons of thanks, the wave of bodies moved towards the door.

"Kyungsoo ah!"

Kyungsoo turned towards Chanyeol. 

"Your towel."

Kyungsoo grabbed the flying towel and smiled brightly: "Thanks".

"I'm excited..." Chanyeol did a little dance with a wacky grin. 

Kyungsoo's smile brightened further. Their debut is in 100 days. The very first teaser went out with warm response. The boys were all fidgety and elated at the same time.

"Ah... I forgot my homework." Sehun smacked his forehead.

"They said there'll be a relief teacher tomorrow. You better pray she forgets about it." Suho remarked with a slight smile.

"I'm so glad we are not in the same class as Min and Jongdae. We are just learning the basics for a few lessons. And they are what... gonna learn it forever for the next few years of their life?" Baekhyun chuckled.

"Ah... that doesn't sound too bad." Kyungsoo quipped.

"What?" Baekhyun frowned.

"Learning a new language. It's fun." Kyungsoo shrugged. 

____________________

"It's gonna be fun!" Ume's best friend colleague Shinae gave her a gentle nudge.

"I guess I can stand in a few lessons for a best friend's sister." Ume  sighed resignedly, stirring her hot chocolate whilst peering towards the calm night scene through the shop windows.

"Ah... I heard they are all very obedient. And the lessons are definitely not something you haven't been exposed to before. Relax."

"I am relaxed. I just.. I.." Ume couldn't continue.

She doesn't want to admit that the reason she dreaded the thought of standing in for Shinae's sister tomorrow was the place she's teaching is where Jongdae is training at.

"Sleep. Tonight. It's one of the beauty tools to keep your skin from sagging..." Shinae pinched her lightly on her cheeks.

"Aiisshh.." Ume smacked her hands away.

"It's not ladylike to curse like this you know."

"It's not morally right to curse a woman's youth when you are the one who's older you know."

"Tsk."

_____________________

 

Arrghhh... my hands are aching... So, how do you like the story so far? Do let me know! ^^