Distance

Eleven

Ume couldn't help but feel expectant when she saw her phone blinking with a text message when she woke up in the morning. She took a breath before opening it up. 

"I'm sorry." It was Jongdae. 

What do you expect? You are the one who pushed him away, and now you expect him to call you? 

Ume squeezed her eyes and went into the shower.

_______________

 

The next few days was packed to the brim for the Exo-K boys. Some rumor of a rookie band not being on good terms with one of their members had leapt their names up search engines. People were curious and that meant more shows for them. 

Weird parcels started coming in and there were a few occassions manager Park got hit by sasaeng fans, obviously from the other fandom.

Kyungsoo, however, was half glad of the unbreathable schedule. When he went back to the dorm after that night, the words Ume said kept replaying in his head. He threw himself into work and ignored whatever tunes his heartstrings had dared to play. 

One night after a hectic day, Kyungsoo came out of the shower downing the supplements he had been taking to keep his strained voice under control. The dorm emanated peacefulness during the night and he sat down on the couch absentmindedly staring ahead. 

There was a string of clothing and towels lined up across on the laundry line. Most of them they hadn't bothered to take down after the trip to Taiwan. 

His blue towel was hung up there with the rest. 

The towel Ume had used.

Kyungsoo was so tired he didn't put up any resistance when memories next rushed into his mind. Moments he had tried to push into the furthest parts of his mind. 

And then that darned sentence.

You are just not.. financially suitable for me. 

We're 11 years apart... 1+1... does not equal to one, Kyungsoo-ah...

His gut felt that punch of reality again, leaving him sore. 

Staring at the towel, he said aloud to himself: "Wait for me. Just wait a little longer."

________________

 

Ume's robotic movements at the set worried Shinae. She wouldn't say anything to her, except if Shinae dared to give out information of herself to anyone again, she'll wished she was dead.

After the recording, Shinae had to practically drag her lifeless friend's body into the car and took her to the beach. 

"Yah, I'm giving up my time with my Hyunnie for you, you better appreciate it."

Ume knew better than anyone how much of a sacrifice this meant to Shinae and she was grateful. 

 

Ume kicked the sand with her bare feet. The evening sun shone orange in the distance and the cool breeze made the air drowsy.

"Yah, whatever demon that has been bugging my friend better flee now, cos all these negative energy is affecting my relationship with Hyunnie, and I'm not a nice person when that happens."

"Sometimes I wish I can be like you..." Ume just sighed, kicking the sand.

"What?"

"No matter what others say about your Hyunnie, Shinae unnie doesn't budge."

"Yah, yah... Ume ah, are you alright?" She touched her forehead, to which Ume smacked away by reflex. "You are calling me unnie? Yah, you better tell me everything before I drive you to the hospital this minute."

Knowing Shinae, Ume knew she wasn't joking. To spare them any more agony and embarrassment (mostly for Ume), she told her all about Kyungsoo and Jongdae. 

She gave a rough summary and left out the part about the kiss, but by then Shinae was already clutching her hand at her heart and going "Ommo... ommo! Jongdae, that jerk!!! Yah! Are you out of your mind? Jung Ume! You are the biggest idiot cosplaying like a smart woman! You~ ugh..." She stuck her arms on her hips. "Why would you even say that to him in the first place when you obviously like him? You are not serious about the financial difference?"

"If I am I wouldn't have thrown my life away by leaving Taiwan at the age of 28 to come to this place for a man who wasn't worth it. Now that I'm 30... would I even care?" Ume resignedly squatted down, drawing on the sand.

"Kyungsoo is 19, that makes you two.. 11 years apart.. that isn't so bad. I didn't know you cared about age." Shinae remained standing.

"11 years... that's like two parallel lines that will never meet...ever." Ume absentmindedly drew two lines in the sand.

"Yah, you crazy , what are you talking about? What parallel lines? There's so many out there who survived perfectly with companions half their age!" Shinae argued.

"Yes, but I'm not one of them... I dunno, Shinae... I just can't... " Ume let out a sigh. 

"I just can't."

________________

 

*Two weeks later.

When Ume received the text message, she almost knocked into the director when she stood up abruptly in a bid to rush to the exit. 

"Sorry..." she explained some personal matters cropped up and had to leave immediately. The director knew Ume isn't the kind to just leave without a good reason and gave her the permission. She bowed quickly to him and left the set, re-reading the dreaded message again. 

"Sam, Kyungsoo is in the hospital now. He was... poisoned and in his groggy state, I think he mentioned your name. Would it be alright if you drop by?- Baekhyun." 

_________________