Ninth step.

Strangers On The Air

 

 

__You even cried like a stupid little girl, you poor thing...

 

__Minhyuk suppressed a curse between his clenched teeth before violently hitting his locker with his right fist. He couldn't get these words out of his head, it just didn't make any sense to him. But since it didn't sound like a lie, what did it mean exactly ?

__Im Chae In was still in the school when the dance battle was supposed to take place but she hadn't showed up, telling him afterwards that she was too tired. Then she had met with Bang Yong Guk and had cried. That was the only sensible explanation he could think of. None of this made sense though. She had seemed so determined to compete, so why hadn't she ?

__No, something was missing. Thinking deeply about it, he knew something escaped him. Why would she cry ? And why had she lied to him ? He was certain she was hiding something and the only way for him to find out the truth was to ask her directly.

__The next days, he had plenty opportunities to do so. But every time he tried to bring up the topic, he couldn't resolve to, feeling it wasn't the right time. After all, it was none of his business. He just cared about her and couldn't take this feeling of worry out of his chest. It simply hurt him to see that they weren't as close as he would have thought. Didn't she trust him ?

__Actually, frustration was the best word to describe his true state of mind. A perfect mixing of curiosity and jealousy, a feeling he wasn't familiar with. Bang Yong Guk knew something that he didn't and that single idea was driving him crazy.

__Though annoyed, he had eventually given up. Who knew, maybe she would tell him everything at her own initiative one day ?

__And as the good friend he was, he would patiently wait.

 

*

 

__In all her school years, Im Chae In had never set foot in the school gym and even less on the basketball court. But as they say, desperate times call for desperate measures.

 

__I'm sure you'll convince him, you're the only one who can. I'll only rely on you then, our Chae In~

 

__She shook her head with a sigh as she thought about Minhyuk's words. That was definitely not fair, how could she have resisted that handsome smiling face of his ? She had to stop being so nice, she was too weak with him. As she approached the gym doors, she silently swore to herself she would get back at his so-called friend.

__She stopped and heard the sound of the training from outside, the squeak of sneakers, the bounce of the ball, the panting breathing of the students. She took a deep breath before pushing the door and walking inside. No one seemed to notice her -or at least they didn't let their concentration be disturbed. She went up to the bleachers and sat without a word, waiting for the practice to end. Impatient by nature, she soon started to play with her bag. After a while, she looked up and watched the game, curious. Scanning the court, her eyes inevitably came upon the captain -a certain jerk of her acquaintance. She sighed and crossed her arms while observing him. He was obviously gifted, that went without saying. She narrowed her eyes, unable to take her eyes off of him. The drops of sweat rolling down his forehead, his smooth moves, his prominent muscles. Everything about him was attractive and she resented herself for being charmed so easily.

__Yong Guk suddenly froze and turned his head to stare at her. Caught off guards, Chae In blinked, embarrassed. He smiled at her and she frowned. It was not his usual smirk, something felt different, almost as if he was sincerely happy to see her. Puzzled, she kept gazing at him until he eventually winked at her before going back to training. She rolled her eyes and sighed.

 

__« Noona ! »

 

__Chae In turned her head and saw an excited Junhong running up to her. She smiled back at him as he sat beside her.

 

__« What are you doing here ? We never see you around usually. »

 

__She explained she had to talk to the captain about something important concerning the radio. Junhong nodded and they kept chatting for a while. Chae In had never really had a real conversation with that kid and she realized she enjoyed it. In just a few minutes, she learned Choi Junhong was a funny, open-minded and trustworthy person.

__At a point though, his face bluntly clouded and he looked down. She frowned, concerned.

 

__« Noona... I'm sorry about Hyung's behavior. I know you didn't do anything to deserve that, but still... »

 

__Chae In was speechless, not knowing what to say. Why was this kid apologizing in place of that stupid jerk ?

 

__« N-no, she eventually said after a few seconds, patting his arm, it's nothing, Junhong-ah. Don't worry about it. »

 

__She gave him a reassuring smile and he nodded with sad eyes.

 

__« I know he may not seem like it but he is very protective and caring with his dongsaengs. Like we are family. And the other hyungs are really great too, so... Please don't be too mad at them, Noona. »

 

__What else could she do ? She smiled at him and nodded. Satisfied, Junhong laughed and thanked her.

__It was true Chae In had a lot of prejudice about these six boys, even though she didn't really know them. Maybe Junhong was right. Maybe they were worth giving the benefit of the doubt.

 

__« I wish we could all just be friends. »

 

__Chae In giggled at his pouting face and ruffled his hair before putting her arm around his shoulder.

 

__« Pabo. Aren't the two of us friends already ? »

 

__Junhong grinned before nodding with enthusiasm.

 

__« Yah, you ! »

 

__The familiar husky voice startled her. They both turned to see a smiling Yong Guk staring at them from the court with an eyebrow raised. Since the practice was finished, they got up and came down to him. He crossed his arms and gazed at Chae In, wondering what could have possibly brought her here.

 

__« Let me guess. You missed me so much that you couldn't wait the next time we would meet ? »

 

__His deep voice gave her shivers. She sniggered and rolled her eyes.

 

__« Don't misunderstand, it's really embarassing for you. »

 

__Junhong laughed while Yong Guk smirked, amused. Their conversation was always entertaining and he was definitely getting more and more interested in that girl.

 

__« Then what are you doing here, Im Chae In ?

__- You may have heard that our radio is doing another contest with the basketball team. Everyone's participating except you an-

__- You came to try to convince me to take part in it since I'm the captain and most popular player, so that there'll be more participants. Am I wrong ? »

 

__She really didn't expect him to guess so easily and be this straightforward. Surprised, she looked down and cleared before nodding.

 

__« Just say yes so I can finally get this over with and get away from you. »

 

__Yong Guk giggled then narrowed his eyes, his lips. She felt her heart skip a beat.

 

__« You're not seriously hoping I'll accept so easily ? »

 

__She sighed, mad at herself. How could she have thought for a second he would agree just because she asked him to ? She crossed her arms with a suspicious look.

 

__« Of course, I had almost forgot who I was dealing with. What do you want ? »

 

__He pretended to be thinking for a minute while she raised an eyebrow, losing patience. Nothing good could come out of this and she feared his answer.

 

__« If I say yes, you'll have to grant me a wish. Anytime I want, whatever I want, no matter what you're doing, no questions asked. Deal ? »

 

__That was suicide, she knew it. She could have just refused, saying he was a crazy bastard and walked away. But she also knew she wouldn't have another opportunity and he wouldn't make another offer. She had no choice, otherwise he wouldn't give in. She tried to convince herself it was for the sake of the radio but she was only walking into the lion's den with opened arms.

 

__« Okay, deal. »

 

__She regretted it the moment the words came out of but it was too late, she had already fallen into his trap. Satisfied, Yong Guk nodded with a smirk before turning around and walking towards the changing room. Chae In silently watched him until she saw him wave at her.

 

__« See you very soon, Im Chae In~ »

 

*

 

__« Oh ? Noona, you have a text ! »

 

__Chae In heard her brother's voice shouting from outside. Dressed up but her hair still wet, she walked out of the bathroom and saw her brother sitting on the floor, reading a manhwa in the light of the bedside lamp. She frowned, her hands on her hips.

 

__« Yah, why aren't you sleeping yet ? Do you have any idea what time it is ?

__- But Noona, I really want to finish my book. And you're not sleeping either...

__- I'm older than you, Im Chin Ho, and that's not the point. You just listen to Noona and don't talk back. God, where did that kid learn these manners... » she went on grumbling.

 

__Chin Ho giggled before putting his book away and creeping in the sheets. His sister squatted next to him with a warm smile and kissed him goodnight. She got up and grabbed her cellphone, intrigued. Who could be texting her at this late hour ? Hoping it to be from Minhyuk, she opened the message with a smile.

 

__« Yah, annoying girl ! Guess who it is... I'll give you a hint : you were probably thinking about me kekeke~ »

 

__Her smile immediately disappeared and she let out a nervous laugh, clenching her fist.

 

__« How did you get that number, Bang Yong Guk ? » she angrily texted back.

 

__After a few seconds, she received a new text.

 

__« Because I always get what I want kekeke~ No seriously, it's depressing how your friends are so easy to seduce. »

 

__She cursed between her teeth then threw her phone across the room. She couldn't contain a scream of rage before walking back to the bathroom and violently slamming the door. Her brother jumped, startled by the noise.

 

__« Yah, Noona ! How do you want me to sleep with all tha- »

 

__He stopped as he heard his sister's phone ringing. Annoyed, he scratched his head with a sigh and picked it up. He looked at the screen and frowned, amused.

 

__« Noona, who is "Rude bastard" ? »

 

 

It was like you could see right through me, although I wasn't ready to admit it...

Could you tell I had already fallen for you ? (Her)

 

 


 

 

» Ȧut hør’s nøte.

Dear readers,

so what do you think of the story so far ?

I really hope you like it and you'll stay with me until the end  ^^

I wish you all a wonderful and happy new year,

may 2013 be full of dreams, surprises and fulfillment