Sixteenth step.

Strangers On The Air

 

 

__It was only after almost a minute that Chae In finally managed to get a grip on herself and break away from his comfortable clasp. She didn't want to, but for once, her head took over her heart and she reluctantly took a step back while looking down in shock. Her eyes were wide opened and she could feel her cheeks slightly blushing.

__She still couldn't understand what had just happened. How could she have let herself drift like this ? Why did she always have to lose control whenever she was with him ? It was like someone else had taken possession of her for the past few hours. Disoriented, she took a deep breath to try to think straight but kept her head low, not daring to look at him yet.

__Startled, Yong Guk frowned and stared at her in incomprehension. He was speechless, he definitely couldn't comprehend her sudden change of behavior. Why was she acting so cold while she had hugged him just a moment ago ?

 

__« I-I'm sorry, I... » she stuttered.

 

 

__He raised an eyebrow and slowly moved closer to her, reaching out, but she instantly went back.

 

 

__« Y-yah, it- » Yong Guk started, confused.

 

 

__Chae In's phone suddenly ringing cut him off as she started in surprise. She immediately grabbed it from her pocket and picked up, putting it close to her ear. She turned around and went a little away after glancing at Yong Guk with worried eyes.

 

 

__« Hello, Minhyuk-ah ? »

 

 

__At the mention of this name, Yong Guk felt his heart squeeze. He cursed and clenched his fists as his eyes refused to leave her figure. His nails were starting to pierce his skin but he didn't care, it wasn't even close to the pain clutching his chest.

 

 

__« They told me you had an emergency and left school early. What happened ?

__- Just... family problems. Nothing important.

__- Oh..., he sounded surprised -probably because she never really talked to him about her family. Are you okay ?

__- I'm fine, she tried to sound convincing. I just need to relax and rest a little.

__- Where are you right now ? Do you want me to pick you up ?

__- No, you don't need to. I'm already home anyway. »

 

 

__Of course she felt bad for lying to him like that, but she was convinced it was for his own good. She didn't want to worry him too much, nor reveal her secret at this moment -especially over the phone.

 

 

__« Do you need anything ? he softly asked.

__- No, I'm okay, don't worry.

__- Okay... Then take care of you and see you tomorrow, yeah ?

__- Sure. Thanks for calling, Minhyuk-ah.

__- Anything for you, pretty girl. » she heard him chuckle and smiled before hanging up.

 

__When she turned and walked over to Yong Guk, she could feel his burning gaze on her. His eyes reflected a mix of anger, turmoil and also... a hint of jealousy ? She frowned and looked away, biting her lip and running her hand through her messy hair.

 

__« I think you should go now. » she softly said.

 

__Yong Guk's eyes widened and he let out a nervous laugh.

 

__« You can't even look me in the eyes and blow me off properly. »

 

__Chae In sighed and clenched her teeth, mentally slapping herself. She wasn't in the least credible and it was pointless to keep arguing. Yong Guk watched her struggling with enjoyment before finally deciding to end her ordeal.

 

__« You know what ? Since I'm in a good mood, I'm gonna make it easier and spare you the painful effort of trying to explain why this whole thing is a mistake or any other pathetic excuses, because you just won't find any that's actually worth defending. »

 

__Chae In looked up at him and blinked, speechless. opened but she was too caught unaware to retaliate. Satisfied, Yong Guk giggled and shook his head.

__He was sure he was right. Nothing she could ever say would erase the fact that this kiss meant something -even if he it wasn't sure what yet. She hadn't protested, she hadn't rejected him either. She had wanted it as much as him, he was sure of it. It had felt so good, so right, like it was the natural outcome of their discussion.

__Maybe she was still hesitant, maybe she was afraid or uncertain. He could understand that. But the truth was, he wanted her. He needed to have her. It was too late now, he couldn't turn back and act like nothing happened. She had bewitched him and he had fallen hard. And he was determined to made her his and not let anyone else have her. She couldn't resist the great Bang Yong Guk long, right ?

__He leaned her face close to hers and watched her move back in fear with amusement.

 

__« See you around, Im Chae In. »

 

__He stared playfully at her and smirked before turning around, walking away. Dumbfounded but upset, she glared at his back and got back into her brother's room in a fury.

 

*

 

__Avoidance was out of the question. Showing her discomfort was inconceivable and being obvious was unimaginable. She wouldn't let him nor anyone have the pleasure to witness her slowly becoming crazy over the most stupid jerk on Earth. For her own survival, she had to act like it didn't affect her and she was already perfectly over it.

__But deep inside, she could feel passion consuming her heart. She had truly underestimated the effect it would have on her, the power he had on her. The scene replayed endlessly in her head and it always gave her butterflies. The simple thought of her lips against his made her heartbeat accelerate. How could it have felt so good, so right ? Like it was everything she had longed for, like she wanted more.

__But no, she couldn't. She couldn't yield so easily. A few sweet words and poof, she was already under the spell ? So what, she had already succumbed to his charm ? Hell, no. If he was really serious about this, the great Bang Yong Guk would have to prove his worth. After all, which girl doesn't like to be courted once in a while ?

 

__« Wow, someone seems happier than usual... »

 

 

__Snapping out of her daydream, Chae In turned to her favorite colleague walking into the studio with their lunch in hand and smiled innocently.

 

 

__« I don't know what you're talking about. »

 

 

__Minhyuk chuckled while sitting next to her. He hand her what she had previously ordered and she thanked him with hungry eyes.

 

 

__« Don't get me wrong, I'm not complaining, he continued. You just haven't stopped smiling lately so I got curious. »

 

 

__Chae In nodded and narrowed her eyes, slowly looking for a decent answer and carefully choosing her words. She felt her cheeks starting to turn red at the thought of the real reason and awkwardly coughed to hide her embarrassment.

 

 

__« I'm just grateful for having the best best friend in the world. » she grinned eventually.

 

 

__Minhyuk laughed at her subtle diversion and nodded in satisfaction, even if the words were stabbing his heart like thorns. There was no need to insist, he knew her well enough to understand where he should stop not to trespass on her privacy. Although he was dying to discover her little secret...

 

 

__« Keep going and you might even get a cookie for dessert. »

 

*

 

__That was it, she couldn't take it anymore. All the whispers and stifled comments buzzing behind her back were suffocating her. Clenching her teeth, she hastily grabbed her bag and walked out of the dancing room, glaring at the figure nonchalantly leaning against the door. On her way, she grabbed his wrist and dragged him outside without stopping in her tracks or looking up. Once she had made sure they were in a distant and safe place, away from people's looks, she violently let go of his hand and sighed, refraining herself from slapping him.

 

__Yong Guk was actually feeling relieved she wasn't ignoring him. Amused by her attitude, he smirked but remained silent.

 

 

__« What the hell are you doing ? »

 

 

__He tilted his head with an innocent look and shrugged. Annoyed, Chae In took a deep breath to try to calm down and remain reasonable.

 

 

__« Waiting for me after class, really ? she almost screamed. What are you thinking ?

__- Why can't I ? he raised an eyebrow.

__- Are you crazy or just totally stupid ? she asked, even if she already knew the answer. People talk, you know that.

__- They always have and always will, why should I care ?

__- Because I'm not only worried about your reputation, Bang Yong Guk, even if I really don't get how you can act so unconcerned... »

 

 

__She crossed her arms and shook her head in incomprehension. Yong Guk raised an eyebrow and clicked his tongue, not really convinced.

 

 

__« I have to admit I'm a little disappointed in you, Im Chae In. I thought you were above all this. And for the record, I'm an adult that accepts his responsibilities and I still do what I want, thanks for your concern. »

 

 

__Chae In rolled her eyes and let out a nervous laugh.

 

 

__« And don't you think asking for the person concerned first is part of that ?

__- You want me to ask for your permission ? Very well. »

 

 

__She narrowed her eyes, knowing he was up to something and she didn't like that.

 

 

__« I really want to kiss you right now. Can I or do I have to wait until more people see us ?

__- What- » her eyes opened wide.

 

 

__Yong Guk smirked and suddenly leaned forward, far too quickly for her to react. He pressed his lips against hers while gently placing a hand on her back to pull her closer. Taken by surprise, Chae In blinked and didn't move, her arms stupidly dangling on the side. As soon as she realized what was going on, she put her hands on his firm chest and pushed him away with all her strength before slapping him without warning. She couldn't believe she had been fooled -again. She glared at him and clenched her teeth, both angry at him and herself.

 

__Yong Guk winced in pain and turned to her with round eyes, a hand on his injured cheek.

 

 

__« What the hell did you hit me for ? he asked, astonished by her gesture.

__- Really ? she yelled. You're seriously asking me that ? »

 

 

__That was it, he definitely couldn't understand women. And even less Im Chae In, that girl was a complete mystery to him. What was it so hard to figure that girl out ? One minute, she was all over him and the next, she was yelling and hitting him. Seriously, was she bipolar or something ?

 

 

__« What do I have to do so you stop getting angry at me all the time ? he shouted.

__- Stop kissing me !

__- Stop making me want to ! »

 

 

__Chae In gasped and blinked, dumbfounded. He was staring at her playfully, a vague smile on his face, and she could feel his eyes piercing right through her. Why did he have to be so devilishly handsome ? Why did she have to be so submissive ? It was useless to even try to reason or argue with him, she knew it. Giving up, she growled and ruffled her hair in frustration before raising her head as she turned around and quickly walked away. Yong Guk smirked and chuckled, satisfied. He didn't want to upset her, but considering how damn cute she was when she was angry, that was going to be hard.

 

*

 

__As days went by, Chae In could feel her great resolutions falling more and more through. Damn you, Bang Yong Guk. Damn you and your gummy smile, your sweet and plump lips, your wonderful and muscular figure, your-

 

__No, stop. She needed to snap out of it and quick before going literally crazy.

 

 

__« I hate you, stupid jerk ! » she yelled, hitting the counter with her fist as she was cleaning it with a rag.

 

 

__She winced at the pain and heavily sighed, cursing her stupidity between her teeth.

 

 

__« Missed me ? » she heard a familiar voice.

 

 

__Of course, someone just loved to play with her nerves. Silently cursing, she tried to put up a front and looked up with a fake smile.

 

 

__« As if. » she rolled her eyes.

 

 

__She had almost forgotten how dazzling he looked. As he was sitting in front of her, she eyed him from head to toe and sighed. She closed her eyes and shook her head, trying to chase the bad thoughts coming to her. She just couldn't forget the fact that they had kissed -twice !- and every time she looked at his mouth, she felt like her heart would go out of her chest, because all she wanted to do was to taste it again.

 

__Yong Guk enjoyed this view very much. She glanced at him and saw him bite his lip while staring hungrily at her. She swore she could have died from his iness.

 

 

__« Tell me what you want quickly so I can kick you out of my workplace and make you disappear from my sight. »

 

 

__He laughed at her cynical tone before pouting.

 

 

__« Come on, I haven't seen you in ages. You're avoiding me, aren't you ?

__- Don't be ridiculous, it would only add to the long list of all your flaws. »

 

 

__Again, her sarcasm made him chuckle. She went on saying she had been pretty busy and it was not like he had made much effort to see her anyway. As soon as the words came out, she bit her lip and cursed herself. Yong Guk smirked and narrowed his eyes, his interest aroused. Smirking, he apologized and offered to make it up to her.

 

 

__« Let me take you to the winter ball. »

 

 

__Chae In froze and blinked. She must have heard wrong, right ? The great Bang Yong Guk couldn't have actually invited her to the ball, it just wasn't possible. She stared at him with a questioning look, waiting for a reaction. He tilted his head with a mysterious smile but showed no sign he was joking. Chae In pursed her lips and looked away, clearing .

 

 

__« I'm already going with Minhyuk. » she tried to sound as indifferent as possible.

 

 

__Yong Guk's expression instantly darkened. His smile disappeared and he frowned, visibly vexed. She immediately noticed and felt guilty all of a sudden. In other circumstances, she would have probably said yes right away -or maybe after a few minutes of fake reticence. But she had commited to accompany her best friend, since he had asked her a long time ago and they were both part of the organizing team.

 

__He remained silent and nodded grimly. Chae In bit her lip but soon shook her head to get it straight. Had she hurt his feelings ? Why did she feel like she had to excuse herself ? Why did she even care ?

 

 

__« That's too bad. I should have asked you sooner. » he softly said, expressionless.

 

 

__And now she felt bad for turning him down. Deep down, she knew she regretted it already. Because it also meant he would go with another girl, and she hated that idea already. Without a further word, Yong Guk grabbed his bag and got up before walking out of the café under the sorry gaze of Chae In.

 

__He was such an idiot, what did he expect ? That she would come crawling to him like a submissive woman ? Of course no, he knew it wasn't her style. Of course it wasn't going to be that easy. He had made a mistake, he shouldn't have taken her for granted. Maybe it was true what they said, that you have to fight to get what you want. And Yong Guk was determined to overcome every possible obstacle standing between him and her.

 

 

If jealousy is a sign of affection...

Then I must have been really crazy about you. (Him)

 

 


 

 

» Ȧuhør’s nøte.

Dear readers,

I sincerely apoligize for the lateness of this chapter !

I was pretty busy & I also lost my inspiration for a moment,

but I'm back now & ready to give you more drama huhu~

Like the previous chapter, I wanted to show more of Yong Guk's sweet & cute side ^^

I hope you enjoyed it & I wish you a wonderful summer~

Also looking forward to your comments & reactions ! =)

Thank youuu