Thirteenth step.

Strangers On The Air

 

 

__When she finally glimpsed the café's sign, Chae In stopped and glanced at her watch before pouting. She was almost twenty minutes early, she had thus no choice but to wait until Minhyuk arrived. She didn't even know why she had rushed, as if she had itchy feet. It was only a drink between friends, there was no need to stress out.

__She sat down with a sigh and took a look around. Since there weren't many customers, the atmosphere was calm and cozy. She smiled and stretched out, enjoying this moment of rest -it felt good to clear her mind a little.

__She closed her eyes and breathed deeply but her silent reflection was soon interrupted by two voices coming from a few tables away behind her. She narrowed her eyes and slowly realized whom they belonged to. Restraining herself from turning around, she sank in her seat and cursed between her teeth.

__Why ? Just why on earth did it have to be Bang Yong Guk and his stupid date ? Out of all people, of all places and of all moments, why did they have to come here at that time precisely ? Fate was a bitter thing that loved to play tricks on her, that's why.

 

__« What do you wanna drink ? she heard the familiar husky voice.

__- Whatever you'll have, Oppa. »

 

__Her giggle almost made Chae In want to vomit. She rolled her eyes and crossed her arms. How more pathetic could she get ?

__Out of the corner of her eye, she saw Yong Guk walking to the counter to order then coming back. She turned around, hoping he would not notice her.

 

__« Oppa. Can I ask you something ?

__- Sure. »

 

__Chae In shook her head as she heard the young woman's silly chuckle again, looking for her words.

 

__« I heard that... you were friend with that Im Chae In. Is it true ? »

 

__Chae In gasped at her name and frowned. Why was that girl talking about her anyway ? They didn't even know each other. Chae In bit her lip as Yong Guk's answer was taking too much time to come.

 

__« Why are you asking me that ? » he eventually said.

 

__The girl seemed to be taken aback.

 

__« Well, I know it's not my business but... I don't know, she doesn't seem to be very interesting, is she ? I'm just surprised that you could be spending time with her... I mean, she didn't even show up at the dance battle. She's just showing off, right ? I mean, why would you waste your time with someone like her ? »

 

__Chae In tilted her head, wondering if it was a hint of jealousy she had detected or just stupidity. She clenched her teeth and tried hard to keep calm and not get up to go slap her.

 

__« I am not. » Yong Guk calmly replied.

 

__Chae In widened her eyes and held her breath, waiting for more.

 

__« I don't know what she's been telling but we're not friends or anything. I just talked to her once or twice but it was only to ridicule her. If she thought I actually cared about it, then she is even more laughable than I thought. She's just conceited and uninteresting. »

 

__Chae In's mind went blank. She blinked several times, thinking she had heard wrong. It has to be a joke. She had never thought words could be so painful. She felt so stupid, tears came to her eyes. How could she have hoped for one second he would stand up for her ? He was right, she was laughable. Foolish, and laughable. She thought they had got closer in the past few weeks, but it was all fake. It was all lies.

__Her head hurt and her vision was starting to blur. She had enough, she refused to hear more. She needed to get out as fast as possible.Without looking back, she grabbed her bag and left the café.

 

*

 

__It was a terrible headache that woke Chae In up the next day. She winced at the pain and slowly tried to sit up, leaning on her elbows with difficulty. She massaged her temples and tried to recall what had happened. She noticed the odd clothes she was wearing and suddenly, all the events of the night before came back. She sighed, realizing it was obviously not just a nightmare. She was mad at herself for having acted this ridiculous. She had made a complete fool of herself all on her own.

__She didn't even understood what had got into her. She had not been in a club nor drunk -nor dressed in such a provocative manner- for a long long time and she knew it wasn't her type. Everything had happened so fast... Before she could even realize it, she had entered the club where all popular students went to, knowing exactly what she was going to do. She had never yielded to revenge before, but compared to how betrayed, hurt and sad she had felt, it tasted really sweet.

__Her head and heart ached and she felt numb. She took a deep breath and sat at the edge of the bed before looking up. Little by little, she realized nothing seemed familiar. But if it wasn't her room, then where was she ? Starting to panick, she turned her head and immediately calmed down when she saw Minhyuk asleep on an armchair. She instinctively smiled and slightly blushed at the thought that he had stayed with her all night.

__When she finally got up, her friend moved and slowly woke up in his turn. He looked at her and smiled.

 

__« Hey, pretty girl. » he rubbed his eyes, stifling a yawn.

 

__Could he get any cuter ? Chae In grinned back and chuckled. How could he still be complimenting her in this situation ? She wasn't pretty at all : her hair was disheveled, her makeup ruined and her clothes crumpled -it was a miracle she hadn't regurgitated all she had drunk.

 

__« Is this your place ? she asked.

__- Yeah. It was closer than yours, so I thought it would be more simple. »

 

__She nodded while Minhyuk sat up straight in his seat and leaned on his knees, crossing his fingers. She bit her lip before looking down.

 

__« I'm really sorry about what happened yesterday, Minhyuk. First, I ditch you and then I call you in the middle of the night... You can't even imagined how ashamed I feel right now, I don't know what's got into me. You must think I'm really strange... I'm sorry you had to see me like this and for what it's worth, I promise you'll never have to ever again. »

 

__Minhyuk sighed and shook his head before coming closer to his friend, grabbing her hand firmly to make her look in his eyes.

 

__« Listen, you don't have to apologize. I'm not gonna judge you or anything, you have the right to feel down and to make mistakes once in a while. We're humans, we all have our weak moments, you know ? I'm just glad I could be there for you and help you. That's what friends are for, isn't it ? »

 

__She nodded with a sad smile. She felt so undeserving of his kindness, she mentally scold herself.

 

__« I hope you know you can always turn to me if you have any problem. I'll do my best to make you feel better.

__- Thank you, Minhyuk. Really, I owe you one. »

 

__He only smiled, as usual, before getting up and walking out of the room for a moment. When he came back, he was holding a glass which he held out to his friend.

 

__« It's for your hangover. It's not tasty but it works. »

 

__Chae In grabbed it and closed her eyes before drinking. She winced -it was disgusting- but finished the glass anyway before thanking her friend.

 

__« Do you feel any better ?

__- Kind of. Argh, I swear I'll never drink alcohol again ! »

 

__Minhyuk laughed and patted her shoulder.

 

__« That's what they always say. »

 

*

 

__It was only once she was sitting on the bus heading back home that Chae In realized she had completely forgotten about a very important thing. With a panicked face, she grabbed her phone and quickly pressed speed dial. After three ringtones, she finally heard the familiar voice and let out a sigh of relief.

 

__« Hello, Noona ?

__- Chin-ah, are you okay ?

__- Yes, why wouldn't I ? »

 

__She heard him chuckle at her worried tone. His cheerful voice immediately calmed her fears and she sighed.

 

__« I'm so sorry I didn't come visit you yesterday without telling you. Did I keep you worried ?

__- No, I figured you were maybe held back somewhere. Why, did something happen ?

__- No, I just... had a rough night, that's all. I'm really sorry, Chin-ah.

__- It's okay, Noona. You come see me everyday and I know it's burdensome. The hospital is kind of boring anyway...

__- Don't say that. I told you you'll always be my priority, but yesterday was... complicated. I promise it won't happen again. Do you forgive me ?

__- Only if you buy me fried chicken, he giggled.

__- Are you even allowed to eat that ? she frowned, not convinced.

__- Hum... yes ? »

 

__Chae In laughed, reassured.

 

__« Then I'll go buy some and pass by later, okay ?

__- Nice. Thank you, Noona ! »

 

*

 

__In the following days, Bang Yong Guk discovered to his utter despair that compared to ignorance, hatred was maybe not a bad thing after all.

__Chae In miraculously managed to avoid him everywhere he went. He hadn't seen her since the 'incident' at the club since every time he thought he would somehow manage to get hold of her, he failed miserably -and no need to mention she wouldn't answer any of his calls.

__Never would he have thought it would hurt so much. The more time passed by, the more he realized that he'd rather have her get angry and yell at him like the last time than this horrible silence. Of course he knew she was mad -and she was right to be- but he needed to talk to her and explain himself or he will probably go insane -even more than he already was.

__One day, he surprisingly found himself lurking around her, hoping he would finally get to talk to her. He discreetly followed her to the café she worked at and waited a few minutes before walking in, determined to have a real conversation.

__His heart skipped a beat when he saw her. All that had happened came back at him and he sighed. He had never thought she would have such harsh words nor act this way with him. He had really messed up, and he needed to fix it.

__She only noticed him when he approached the counter. She looked up and she blinked, surprised. He stared at her but she couldn't held his gaze any longer. She turned her head without a word but he noticed the anger and pain in her eyes. Bustling around, she kept ignoring him for a little while. He wasn't going to give up though, he was getting sick of this hide-and-seek game.

 

__« Yah, Im Chae In. »

 

__She didn't react, of course. Yong Guk clenched his teeth and sighed.

 

__« How long are you gonna keep ignoring me ? »

 

__He saw him flinch then glare at him.

 

__« Can't you see I'm working ? I don't have time for this. »

 

__He suppressed a smirk, happy to be over with the silent treatment.

 

__« I'm warning you, I won't leave until you actually listen to me. »

 

__She laughed nervously and her lips. After putting her hands on her hips, she shook her head and sighed.

 

__« I thought I had been pretty clear but it seems you didn't get it. Don't talk to me, okay ? You said it yourself, we don't know each other. So why don't you, for once, match your words and actions ? »

 

__Yong Guk felt his heart ache. It didn't make any sense to him anymore. How could he act like he didn't know her ? And even if he did, it would all be a lie. He would only be pretending.

 

__« Now if you don't leave immediately, I swear I'll call the security. » she continued without even looking at him.

 

__Yong Guk opened his mouth but failed to speak. He just let out a heavy sigh and looked down. He was speechless. There was not a hint of kindness or interest in her voice. She had acted mean towards him before and he had got used to it -he kind of deserved it- but never this cold. He irritated him somehow, especially after they had got closer these past few weeks. He didn't want to accept it was over, it was just too sad. But maybe the war wasn't lost yet.

 

__He glanced at her one last time before turning around and walking out.

 

 

At that time, I hadn't realized that pain was actually a good thing...

Because it meant that maybe we were more than just strangers after all. (Her)

 

 


 

 

» Ȧuhør’s nøte.

Dear readers,

I hope I didn't keep you waiting too long kkkkk~

I'm going back to school starting next week,

so I don't know when I'll post the next chapter...

Please, be patient with me~ ^^

And if you like the boy-band  VIXX,

I've started a new fanfic about them here.

As always, comments & reactions are greatly appreciated !

Thank you