Third step.

Strangers On The Air

 


 

 

__Inwardly laughing, Yong Guk's mouth slowly turned into a smirk. It was so entertaining to observe these brainless persons, he had found himself enjoying this situation more and more. He suppressed a snigger and silently watched every student turning to look as he went past. Girls were either waving or blushing while boys were desperately trying to hide their jealousy behind grins. He sometimes flashed them a smile but it didn't mean he acknowledged this stupid behavior. He had simply realized that pretending was a second nature among humans. It was either taking people for fools or being taken for one -and he had chosen his side.

__« Good morning, dear listeners ! I hope our lucky winners had a wonderful date with our soccer team’s members last Friday. But unfortunately, all good things come to an end and it’s already Monday, so I wish all of you a wonderful week~ »

__The now familiar voice came titillate Yong Guk’s ear as he was heading for the gymnasium with Junhong and Himchan. His proud smile vanished and a frown formed on his forehead. He narrowed his eyes and sighed, clenching his teeth. That girl was acting all nice and sweet behind her microphone while she was actually an arrogant manipulator, then she dared lecture him ? Yong Guk ruffled his hair in frustration at the memory of their first meeting and muttered.

__« What’s wrong with you ? » Himchan suddenly asked him.

__Yong Guk turned to him with an innocent look and blinked. He put his hands in his pockets and shrugged, looking away.

__« You’ve been distracted lately, hyung. » Junhong added with worried eyes.

__The eldest shook his head and denied his friend’s remark before shrugging again. Unsatisfied with his answer, Junhong pouted and turned to Himchan with curious eyes, hoping to know more. The latter only sighed and put his arm around Junhong’s shoulder to comfort him.

__The cheerful voice coming out from the speakers then reached their ears as well. Himchan narrowed his eyes and stared at Yong Guk while Junhong crossed his arms with a grin.

__« This wouldn’t have something to do with our lovely radio presenter...? » Himchan teased his friend.

__Yong Guk pursed his lips and looked dagger at him. Himchan sniggered at his reaction which spoke for itself.

__« I don't know what you’re talking about, so stop talking nonsense. » Yong Guk firmly said.

__Feeling his friends' suspicious looks, he sighed and shook his head. Junhong quietly high-fived Him Chan with a mischievous laugh before Yong Guk suddenly changed the subject, trying to end this awkward conversation.

__« By the way, how was your date on Friday night ? » he turned to Himchan.

__And his evil plan worked. Smiling to himself, Yong Guk listened to his friend describing his evening, completely forgetting about a certain someone.

 

*

 

__As soon as the bell rang, Chae In immediately put her books away and walked out of English class, practically running in the corridors. She had to hurry up if she wanted to catch the bus and not be late -again- to pick up her brother at school. She had made a promise and she hated to disappoint him. When she finally got to her locker, she opened it and picked what she needed to do her homework before putting her bag on her shoulder.

__« Yah, you ! »

__Recognizing this voice and understanding it was addressed to her, she closed her locker and turned around, cursing between her teeth. Facing Yong Guk, she crossed her arms and frowned.

__« I don't have time for this. What do you want ? »

__He tilted his head and smirked before walking up to her.

__« Because of you, we can't use the dancing room anymore. Do you know how... angry it makes us feel ? »

__She laughed and shook her head. Professor Kang had probably forbidden them and she was really proud of her on this one. They had to understand that from the moment they had went for her territory, things had changed. They needed to stay in their world and not overstep limits.

__« Oh, don't thank me. It was my pleasure. » she smirked.

__He narrowed his eyes at her mocking tone, slowly losing his calm. He came closer to her, clenching his fists.

__« You're lucky you're a girl, Im Chae In. I swear I really feel like punching your annoying face right now. »

__And the feeling was mutual. She hated this attitude, acting like a so-called gentleman and making her think he was actually doing her a favor by sparing her. She clenched her teeth and glared at him.

__« Ooh, I'm scared. »

__She pretended to shiver before laughing sarcastically. She gave him a defying look and pushed him before starting to walk away, ignoring his angry gaze. He laughed nervously and ruffled his hair in frustration. This girl really knew how to get on his nerves and the worst part was, she wasn't even afraid of him.

__« Who exactly do you think you are ? »

__Chae In froze and sighed before turning around and narrowing her eyes.

__« Unlike you, I don't pretend to be some ridiculous gang leader or whatever. »

__Yong Guk's eyes widened and he bit his lip, trying not to lose it. No one had ever talked to him that way and he was so irritated, he didn't even manage to answer her provocation. What the hell was happening to him ?

__« You know, she carried on, just because you're talented and rich and popular doesn't mean you're above the rules. » 

__He turned his head and glared at her, frowning. She enjoyed watching him go to pieces so much, she smirked before taking a few steps closer to him.

__« You may think you're better than everyone else, but guess what ? »

__She moved forward, her face close to his, and looked up at him before ending their conversation in a low voice.

__« You're just despicable. »

__Without blinking, she turned around and quickly walked away. Seething with rage, Yong Guk clenched his fists and punched the first locker within reach, letting out a grunt. He breathed deeply and tried to calm down. As he headed for the courtyard to join his friends, he shook his head, trying to persuade himself he was all just a dream -or a nightmare. Their argument kept replaying in his head, no matter how hard he tried to erase it.

__Wait a minute. Did she just say he was talented ?

 

*

 

 

__« Is it just me, or do I sense some tension here ? »

__Sitting in front of Chae In, Minhyuk narrowed his eyes and watched her bustling about behind the bar. He stared at her, waiting for a reaction, but she ignored his remark and shrugged, busy preparing the coffee he had ordered just a minute ago. He crossed his arm and frowned, not very convinced.

__Since he had finished class earlier, Minhyuk had decided to come and see Chae In at work. He had found her a bit stressed and miles away this day, and he wanted to talk to her about it. However, she didn't really seem to feel like it.

__« Here. » she put the cup in front of him.

__He thanked her and she flashed him a weak smile before taking care of other customers' orders. Minhyuk stirred his coffee while looking for the right words to bring up the topic. He cleared his throat and looked down.

__« I heard you had a little... clash with Bang Yong Guk. » he started slowly.

__Chae In froze and tensed up. She sighed between her clenched teeth and tried to stay calm. How could he have heard about this ? She suddenly felt bad, almost ashamed. What would he think of her then ? Even more irritated, she ruffled her hair in frustration.

__« We had the occasion to talk and I just told him what I thought. »

__Minhyuk almost choked as he was taking a sip. He looked up and blinked at her, suprressing a smile. That girl was really fearless. That, or crazy. Or probably both. He chuckled and shook his head in desperation.

__« You're aware that the whole school is talking about you ? he continued, carefully observing every little reaction of hers. Not like they wouldn't before, but now, they either admire you or hate you. »

__Chae In tilted her head and laughed nervously. Like she needed that along with everything else... But it hadn't really bothered her up until now so why would it change ? She hated those school rumor, but they wouldn't stop just because she wanted them to. All she could do was ignoring it and quietly live her life, hoping some annoying person would stop getting on her nerves everytime she unfortunately met him.

__« If this guy can't even take criticism, then that's not my problem. » she answered with a shrug.

__Minhyuk smirked and took another sip while she started to clean and dry empty glasses.

__« Do you have any idea who you're dealing with ? »

__Chae In's eyes widened and she took a deep breath, closing her eyes. She dropped the glass she was holding and slapped her dish towel down on the table. Her hands on her hips, she glared at her friend with a frown.

__« Do I look like I care ? I don't give a damn about who he is, he's a jerk ! Hasn't anyone noticed that except me ? »

__She blinked, waiting for Minhyuk's answer. He sighed and tilted his head. He wasn't used to her angry tone and disappointed eyes, she looked different. Either he had hallucinations, or this guy had really done something to her friend. Minhyuk cleared his throat and smiled.

__« I'm sorry. I admit he may not be the sweetest guy on earth, bu-

__- Are you defending him ? »

__She had almost screamed, startling the customers who turned to her with a frown. She sighed and slightly bowed, apologizing with a smile before looking back at Minhyuk. The latter took another sip of coffee and tried to defend himself from her aggressive tone.

__« I'm just saying, he's really popular and a lot of people seem to like him. It might not be by chanc- »

__She made him silent in one glare. It was nonsense to her, how could you even like someone as hateful as Bang Yong Guk ? Minhyuk sighed and shrugged, giving up.

__« They're all just stupidly afraid of him. »

__She nervously laughed, ending their conversation. Minhyuk felt dissatisfied, he had trouble understanding why she was so angry. He thought it was nothing particular and she would forget about it, but she seemed pretty affected. Without a further word, he went back to drinking his coffee, looking down.

__Chae In sighed and mentally slapped herself. She was so stupid, why had she got worked up about this anyway ? It wasn't even Minhyuk's fault, yet she had practically yelled at him. Glancing at his handsome face, she sighed and started to calm down.

__« I'm sorry, she eventually said as nicely as she could. Thank you for coming today. I have customers to take care of, but you're welcome anytime. I promise I'll be better company. » she chuckled, embarassed.

__He simply nodded and softly smiled while she grabbed her filled tray. She felt her heart melt and she immediatly grinned back before leaving the bar and going wander between the tables.

 

 

You came into my life like a storm...

How could I have been prepared for that ? (Her)

 

 


 

 

» Ȧuhør’s nøte.

Hello~

So, what do you readers think of the story so far ?

I hope it's not trashy, I'm doing my best~  ^^

I finished my exams & I'm in holiday now, so I'll try to update more often.

Thank you to my subscribers & for your nice comments