Twentieth step.

Strangers On The Air

 

So there she was. In front of the club. How the hell had she ended up here ? Oh, right. She had made a deal with the less trustworthy person on the planet.

She could have refused though. She could have simply come home after class but somehow, her steps had led her there.

Maybe it was out of curiosity. Maybe it was Junhong's text, begging her to come, claiming she wouldn't regret it. Maybe she truly had no willpower to resist him. But maybe it was something else... something more.

She had never been to that club before, only heard about it. Apparently, it was a place where underground artists, rappers and dancers from all over town met. It was known for some famous people who had come when they were young but she had never thought she would get in someday.

And yet, there she was. It was dark, loud and crowded but at the same time exciting. The joyful yet mysterious atmosphere sent shivers down her spine as she made her way towards the stage. Without knowing, she arrived just at the right time and soon found out what she was really doing here.

 

« Gather round, folks ! It's finally time. You all know who I'm talking about, right ? Please give a warm welcome to... B.A.P ! »

 

Among all the screaming and cheering, Chae In suddenly felt lost. Her mind went blank and she froze for a moment. The dazzling flash of lights brought her back to reality and she blinked, frowning, before looking up.

It wasn't a joke. She hadn't heard wrong. Right in front of her were standing the six familiar boys, smiling and waving. The music soon blasted through the room and the beat of the bass echoed in her chest, announcing the start of the show.

Mesmerized. She was literally mesmerized. Amazed and bewitched. Her head full of wonder. Between Yong Guk's powerful rap, Himchan's deep voice, Jongup's terrific moves, Junhong's astounding energy and Young Jae and Daehyun's amazing vocals, she didn't know which way to turn. What was happening was simply incredible. She was staring up at them, speechless but her head full of wonder.

She surely didn't expect anything like that, and she had to admit she was truly impressed. Who knew they had that in them ? Certainly not her. A few minutes ago, she would have never bet on them. A few minutes ago, she still didn't suspect they were actually more than a bunch of jocks. But they had proved her wrong. And she should have known better than to stick to her first impressions.

Their performance ended much too soon to Chae In's liking. She screamed and applauded with all her heart along with the hysterical crowd. The six boys greeted and waved at the public before a man with a mike climbed up the stage and joined them.

 

« Wow, guys ! What an amazing performance, as always. And it's not over, you're gonna stay with us for our traditional dance battle ! Maybe the wheel of fortune will change tonight ? Come on, is there someone brave enough to face those six talented men ? Anyone ? Oh, I see a hand raised, great ! Please, come up here. Everyone, please make some noise for our new contestant !  »

 

What had got through her mind at that exact moment, Chae In couldn't tell. Before she could even think, her hand was already raised. And before she could even realize, it was too late to back out. She bit her lip and cursed between her teeth while she walked up to the stage under the screams and claps of the crowd. She breathed deeply to calm herself and tried to think straight. She still owed them a dance battle, after all. She still had a revenge to take. She still had to prove them she was up to her reputation. So why not right here, right now ?

The look on the boys' faces when they saw was priceless. They surely didn't expect things to take such a turn. Jongup and Junhong waved at her with a huge smile while Yong Guk simply crossed his arms on his chest and stared at her with his usual smirk.

It's on, boys.

 

*

 

Im Chae In had rarely draw so much attention when coming to school and she had to admit, it made her feel quite uncomfortable. As she was making her way through the corridors, she heard everyone whispering while pointing at her. Some people even came to her congratulating her and saying what a great dancer she was. She couldn't believe it, it was impossible so many people had been to the club last weekend. Skeptical but nonetheless happy, she arrived at the radio station with a soft smile floating on her lips.

 

« Hello, superstar. Heard you made quite a show last Friday... »

 

She turned to Minhyuk and raised an eyebrow, asking how he knew about it. He giggled.

 

« Have you ever heard of social networks ? »

 

She frowned as he grabbed his smartphone and showed her the screen. There was a video of her performance playing. So that was the answer, someone had filmed it and put it on the Internet.

 

« You were really impressive out there. And those guys too, I can't believe this is actually Bang Yong Guk and his friends...

- Tell me about it, she let out a nervous laugh.

- How did you end up there anyway ?

- Long story. Maybe I'll tell you someday. »

 

He laughed and she grinned while looking at him. It felt so good to be sitting here, talking and laughing with him. She really needed him as her friend more than anything.

A knock on the door cut off her thoughts. She got up to open it and faced six familiar boys. She blinked and frowned, wondering what they were all doing here.

 

« Are you gonna let us in or what ? »

 

She glared at Yong Guk before stepping back to let them coming in. Without a word, Minhyuk looked at her with a questioning look but she simply shrugged.

 

« Noona ! Junhong spoke first with his usual enthusiasm. It was so awesome to see you dance on stage, and everyone's talking about it, it's crazy.

- You're really up to your reputation, Sunbae, Jongup continued.

- Yeah, Youngjae then spoke, even though we won, I have to admit... you were pretty amazing up there. »

 

Chae In started to blush at this flood of compliments. She thanked them with a warm smile then took a deep breath.

 

« I have something to tell you guys too, all of you. »

 

A little surprised, they nodded to encourage her to go on.

 

« I'm really sorry I misjudged you. I made stupid assumptions and didn't look any further. But dancing on stage with you... It felt great, like I was actually getting to know you better. It was an amazing experience, you are truly talented and you deserve the victory by far. So... Do you think, maybe... I don't know, maybe we could... just... start over ? »

 

She bit her lip and took a step forward, holding out her hand. They all looked at each other and after a few seconds, Himchan grabbed her hand and shook it with a grin. She let out a sigh of relief before Junhong even hugged her, whispering 'I told you they were not that bad'. Yong Guk glared at his dongsaeng while grabbing him by the collar to pull him back as he whined. Chae In giggled. Jealous much ?

 

« We actually have something for you, Noona. That's why we came. »

 

She looked at Junhong with a frown. Daehyun took out a small envelope from his jacket and handed it to her with a smile.

 

« We talked about it a lot and we decided together to give you half of the money we won for your brother's surgery. Please, accept it. »

 

Her mind went blank and she froze. She felt tears forming in her eyes and her vision started to blur. It took her a few seconds to get a grip on herself.

 

« W-what ? N-no, you... You can't. I mean, I can't... I can't accept this, it's too much. Why- why would you give me that ? You earned it, it's- it's yours. »

 

Himchan grabbed the envelope and put in her hand with a smile.

 

« Believe me, you need it more than we do. And you deserve it as much. Take it as a token of... our new friendship. »

 

She shook her head in disbelief and put a hand over . When she looked up, her eyes met with Yong Guk's.

 

« Yah, Im Chae In. You don't actually have a choice, it was an assertion and not a question. Just take it. And please, don't cry. »

 

But it was too late, tears were now rolling down her cheeks. was open but only sobs would come out of it. She couldn't believe it, she never would have even dreamed of this. It was more than anything she could have hoped for, it was simply wonderful.

 

« Aish. I told you she was a real crybaby...

- Shut up, you stupid jerk. »

 

They all laughed at her answer and Yong Guk snickered. Junhong immediately came to hug her again before they all joined him around her eventually, one by one. She closed her eyes and smiled.

 

« You guys are wonderful. Thank you so much. Thank you. »

 

After a minute or so, they moved back and looked at them with loving eyes, wiping off her tears. She felt so grateful but also ashamed. She didn't deserve this, especially not after the way she had treated them. She promised herself she would pay them back as soon as possible. She would do something for them too. And she already had an idea of what to do...

 

« Erm... I'm- I'm sorry to ruin the moment, Minhyuk said, but would someone explain to me what's going on ? »

 

He turned to Chae In and stared at her in incomprehension. She sighed and gave him a sorry smile.

 

« I guess that's our cue, Himchan said. We're leaving you two alone.

- See you around, Noona ! Junhong screamed while waving at her.

- Sure, she nodded with a grin. Thank you, guys. »

 

She took a deep breath and turned to her best friend.

 

« You'd better sit down, Minhyuk. I have a lot to tell you. »

 

 

You always make me do crazy things...

But I forget love is not reasonable. (Him)

 

 


 

 

» Ȧut hør’s nøte.

Dear readers,

I hope you like this chapter, there are only four left  :)

Be patient, the story will soon unravel... ^^

Please comment & react~

Thank you