Sixth step.

Strangers On The Air

 

 

__Chae In's face broke into a grin as she was looking at the little posters hanging all around the school walls, where no one could miss it. If a lot of people could come and witness her victory, she was satisfied. She couldn't wait to kick a certain someone's with an undisguised joy to finally get this over with.

__Lost in her thoughts, she slowly headed for the studio, a smile hovered on her lips. After a few minutes, she noticed the eyes of the students she was passing turning to her. Feeling awkward, she tried not to pay too much attention but she couldn't help it. She realized some were waving at her, babbling words of encouragement with their fists up, while some other were just glaring at her. She rose an eyebrow, not feeling really comfortable with the sudden attention she was drawing.

__She looked away and quickened her steps, happy to enter the studio and join Minhyuk. As she walked in, he looked up and received her with a grin from ear to ear and his usual playful eyes.

 

__« How's our radio star feeling today ? »

 

__Chae In rolled her eyes and gave him a forced smile by way of answer. Minhyuk sniggered as he watched her put her bag on the table and sit with a heavy sigh.

 

__« I'm really starting to believe you enjoy watching me in pain, Lee Minhyuk. »

 

__He laughed and shook his head, vigorously denying. Chae In narrowed her eyes, not in the least convinced, before giggling in her turn.

 

__« Are you ready for the big show ? » her friend asked.

 

__Chae In raised an eyebrow, pretending to be offended, as if the answer too obvious to even be said. Minhyuk burst out laughing, taking her reaction as a yes. He admired her determination and confidence, he sometimes even found it attractive.

 

__« Well, I guess I'll have to confirm that with my own eyes on Friday then. » he looked away, ending the conversation.

 

__Chae In's eyes widened. She frowned and pointed an accusing finger at him.

 

__« You're coming ? »

 

__Minhyuk raised an eyebrow and crossed his arms, imitating her previous gesture. Admitting her defeat, she stuck her tongue out at him then smiled.

 

*

 

__Massaging her aching limbs from the training, Chae In almost didn't hear the bell of the main entrance. She suppressed a sigh and walked towards the customer who had just come in. She bowed without even looking and got up with a forced smile.

 

__« Welcome to the Palace of- »

 

__She immediately stopped as she saw who was standing in front of her, a smirk on his lips. Her smile disappeared in a split second.

 

__« Well, hello there. »

 

__She sighed and crossed her arms, frowning.

 

__« You even come harass me at my workplace now ? »

 

__She sighed and shook her head before turning on on her heel and going back behind the bar, completely ignoring him. Yong Guk tittered, used to her cynical remarks.

 

__« In my defense, I had no idea you were working here. And I just happen to live nearby, actually. »

 

__She looked up and raised an eyebrow, watching him out of the corner of her eyes. For once, he did look sincere.

 

__« What can I get you then ? A poisoned soft drink ? she suggested him with a smirk.

__- I'll have an espresso and a chocolate doughnut to go, thank you. » he ignored her provocation.

 

__Chae In nodded and started preparing his order. He sat in front of her and waited for her to be done. He watched her closely and noticed she seemed tired, almost sick, as if she was not her usual self. He narrowed his eyes and tilted his head.

 

__« Are you okay ? You don't look so good... »

 

__Chae In looked up and blinked as if she had hallucinations. Yong Guk's eyes widened as he realized what had just come out of his mouth. He mentally slapped himself -had he gone completely crazy ?- and cleared his throat before pulling himself together.

 

__« I-I mean, I know you're scared of us but you don't need to push yourself too hard. You're going to lose this dance battle anyway. »

 

__Chae In let out a nervous laugh and shook her head. Of course, he would brag about how great he and his friends were but she still had never got a sniff of it though. And she had to admit, she was quite looking forward to seeing what they were capable of.

 

__« If you're seriously trying to intimidate me right now, you're even dumber than I thought, Bang Yong Guk. Though it wouldn't be surprising... »

 

__He glared at her but she ignored it and handed him his order. He paid her and grabbed the bag before getting up.

 

__« Enjoy your coffee. » she winked at him before walking away to take care of the other customers.

 

__Yong Guk blinked before laughing nervously, watching her in disbelief. He shrugged then grabbed the hot cup while he was heading for the exit. As soon as he raised it to his lips, he choked and spat it all out. Oh no, she hadn't dared to... put salt instead of sugar ?!

__He clenched his fists, almost crushing the cup. He dried his mouth with the little paper towels and suddenly noticed something written on the cap of the cup. He narrowed his eyes to read the inscription : Chae In : 1 - Narcissistic jerk : 0

__He closed his eyes, trying to keep calm and not give vent to his anger. She had gone too far, and he wasn't going to let it go this time. As the door was closing on him, he shouted one last warning which perfectly reached her ears.

 

__« War is declared, Im Chae In ! »

 

*

 

« Thank you for your good work today, Min Hyuk-ah. See you tomorrow. »

 

__The latter nodded with a smile and waved goodbye to Chae In.

__She walked out of the studio and left the school walls, heading for the parking lot. She felt the night wind on her skin and got shivers. She blew out on her hands and rubbed them to warm them up. She couldn't wait to come back home to see her little brother. He hadn't been feeling well lately and she was very worried. Another stress that added to her tiredness and temper...

__After a few minutes, Chae In arrived at the place where her bike was. She narrowed her eyes to find it in the dark night, and when she finally did, her jaw dropped wide in disbelief. She came closer to verify it was real, and soon cursed between her teeth. Both her tires had been punctured. She frowned, knowing exactly who was behind this. Unlocking the padlock, she noticed a piece of paper caught in the bell. She took it and opened it before reading the content with a nervous grin.

 

__Yong Guk : 1 - Annoying boaster : 0.

 

 

It was like we were becoming kids again, playing a stupid game, ready for anything to win...

Except that we had no idea where it was going to take us.  (Him)

 

 


 

 

» Ȧut hør’s nøte.

Hello dear readers,

I hope you're enjoying this story.

I promise you, it's going to get even more interesting, so stay tuned !  :D

Please, leave a comment & share your reactions~

Thank you