Twenty-second step.

Strangers On The Air

 


 

Once they had all taken place in front of the computer, Junhong grabbed the mouse and clicked play to start the video. An unknown face suddenly appeared on the screen, young and smiling.

 

« Oh! That's-

- He kind of looks like- »

 

Both Yongguk and Jongup were cut by the voice coming from the machine.

 

« Hello, Hyungs~ I'm Chin Ho, Chae In's cute little brother. »

 

They let out a "Aaah~" all at the same time, which made the leader smile.

 

« I wanted to come and meet you in person but I'm still recovering from surgery and Noona won't let me out of the house, he pouted, making the six boys giggle. So I'm sending this video instead. »

 

He seemed to look away for a second, as if he was searching for his words.

 

« Yesterday..., he paused for a moment and bit his lip. Yesterday, Noona told me everything. She told me you gave her money to help paying for the operation. I feel bad because... you never even met me, and yet you gave me such a wonderful gift. I guess you really care for Noona... And for that too, I'll be grateful to you my whole life. Thank you so much, Hyungs! I promise I'll live a long and happy life~ »

 

The six boys couldn't help but feeling moved by the sincerity of his feelings. Touched, they all looked at one another, silently congratulating themselves for their good deed.

 

« Noona also told me it was her kidney I had inside me now. » he went on after a moment.

 

His expression darkened and the boys frowned.

 

« I know she doesn't show it because she wants to act tough in front of everyone, but she's not okay. Noona is the only family I have and she always sacrifices herself for me. But now... she won't be able to dance like before, and she's really sad. I know I shouldn't ask for too much, especially after everything you've done... But please, look after my Noona. I can tell she really likes you too. »

 

Suddenly, he pointed at the screen with a smirk.

 

« You heard, Yongguk hyung? I already warned you and I was serious. You'd better fix it and quick or you're dead meat. »

 

He was so cute, they all laughed, teasing their leader.

 

« Oh, I almot forgot! I saw a video of you on the Internet, and I loved it! You are awesome, Hyungs, I'm a total fan! B.A.P fighting~ »

 

The six boys chuckled, satisfied.

 

« I hope I can come see you as soon as I'm better. Until then, please stay cool and healthy, Hyungs~ »

 

He grinned and waved, while the words "THANK YOU!!!" appear at the bottom of the screen. Smiling, Junhong pressed stop and turned to his leader with playful eyes.

 

« Hyung. I kind of agree with Chin Ho.

- Which part? Yongguk's narrow his eyes.

- About Im Chae In, you pabo, Himchan answered. You need to do something. I'm sick of you sulking around all day, seriously.

- Besides, it's almost graduation, Jongup adds. It may be your last chance.

- Stop making excuses and just go for it, or you'll regret it. » Youngjae meddled in.

 

Annoyed, the leader turned to Daehyun who still hadn't said anything. He stared at him with pleading eyes, silently praying for some support. The younger looked up at him and blinked.

 

« What? Oh no, I'm totally with them on that. She's amazing, and you're an idiot. »

 

Exasperated, Yongguk got up with a grunt and walked out of the room. Before passing the door, he heard Himchan's last shout of encouragement.

 

« And please, don't screw it up this time! »

 

*

 

Chae In sighed before pressing the red button. She felt exhausted and just wanted this day to be over so she could go home to her brother. She didn't get much sleep these days which didn't really help her mood get better. And cherry on top, she had to take care of today's radio programm alone since Minhyuk had soccer practice.

She tried to put as much energy as she could into her voice before talking.

 

« Welcome to our Valentine's Day special corner, thank you for calling. What's your name? »

 

There was silence on the other side of the line, as if the person was hesitating.

 

« I'm... Yongguk, a hoarse and familiar voice enventually answered. Bang Yong Guk. »

 

Chae In's heart skipped a beat. She expected anything but that. She hadn't seen nor talked to him since she had got out of the hospital.

For a second, she thought she had heard wrong. She thought it was an hallucination and she had gone crazy. It couldn't be him. Why would he... How...?

A dozen questions were buzzing in her mind and she felt her blood rush to her head. It took her a moment to get a grip on herself, but when she finally spoke, she didn't manage to hide how unsettled she was.

 

« A-and... Erm, wh-what is your message? »

 

Another silence. Chae In held her breath while waiting to hear his voice again. Her heart pace was speeding up and unknowingly, she started bitting her lip.

 

« Well... I wouldn't even know where to start. »

 

The thought of his face chuckling brought a smile to her lips.

 

« There's this girl I met a few months ago. Our encounter was... Well, let's just say she sure knows how to make a first impression. »

 

Chae In giggled as the memory came back to her. So many things had happened since then, it felt like ages ago.

 

« But I should have known then it wasn't going to be easy. She was the first girl to ever stand up to me and I really didn't expect it. At first, I only wanted to make her pay for her arrogance but at the same time, I started to get interested in her. She was... different. Mysterious. But me... I was proud. Too proud. I didn't understand what I was really feeling, I didn't want to. The truth is, I was scared. Because it was so unfamiliar to me and there was nothing I could do about it. »

 

A bitter smile formed on Chae In's lips. It had been exactly the same for her. What would have happened if they had both just accepted their feelings sooner?

 

« That's why I kept making mistakes. I was annoying, stupid and jealous. I kept hurting her and making her cry. She would forgive me, but I'd just blow it. Every single time. Until it was too late and she had stopped trying. »

 

She remembered their last conversation in her hospital room and her heart clenched. She frowned, wondering where he was going with this.

 

« I couldn't believe she had given up on me. On us. There were so many things I wanted to tell her... That she's the most amazing person I know. That she's strong, talented, generous, kind, inspiring and so beautiful. That she made me a better person. And that I can't resign myself to just losing her. »

 

Her heart almost stopped for a second. He had never talked like this, he had never opened up to her like this. No one had ever told her things like this.

 

« I may not believe in fate but there's one thing I'm sure of. We're meant to be together. I know that now. She's the only one I want and the only one I need. And I'm the one for her. »

 

And she knew it too. Somewhere, deep down, she had always known. Everything would always lead her to him somehow. She would never get over him, how could she have thought otherwise?

She had make a mistake, she realized it now. How could she have been so selfish? She never should have denied what she felt and pushed him away. She never should have stopped trusting in him. In them.

 

« I love you, Im Chae In. »

 

She closed her eyes and a tear slowly rolled down her cheek to crash on her lips. She grinned and laughed. She had waited for these words for so long, but she had never thought it would feel so good to hear.

What more proof did she need? He was confessing to her in front of the whole school. On Valentine's Day.

 

« Do you hear me, you stubborn girl? I'm crazy about you. And if you just give me one more chance, one last chance, I'll prove you I can be your man. Just give me one more chance and I promise you won't be disappointed again. »

 

And now, she needed to stop thinking and follow her instinct. She needed trust him. To trust them.

 

« I won't give up, Chae In-ah. »

 

But she wasn't here anymore. She was already gone, running through the hallways as fast as she could. It was like her feet knew the way, inexorably attracted to him. She ran and ran, her heart banging against her chest, ignoring the stares and whispers behind her. In the background, she could hear faintly his voice coming from the speakers and echoing through the corridors.

Her steps led her straight to the gym, empty but for one silhouette standing before her, a phone against his ear. She stopped and tried to catch her breath.

 

« Yah, you! »

   

Yongguk froze and slowly turned around, eyes opening wide when he saw her. He closed his phone and slipped it in his back pocket.

 

« Chae In-ah! »

 

He frowned and stared at her in disbelief. He could see she was out of breath from running. How in the world had she found him? And that fast? He could also see she had cried. He sighed and walked up to her.

Chae In gazed at him as he went closer. She had never found him more handsome than in that moment. She realized how much she had missed him, how much she wanted to be with him more than anything.

He stopped once in front of her and looked at her as if to say "Please tell me those are tears of joy". Chae In smiled and chuckled to reassure him and his face seemed to relax a little.

 

« I'm really late, aren't I? »

 

Yongguk shook his head with a grin. His hand came gently her cheek, wiping her rolling tears with his thumb.

 

« I'm sorry I was so stubborn.

- I'm sorry I was such a stupid jerk. »

 

Her laugh echoed in the gym and his heart immediately melted.

Chae In had never felt more happy than at that exact moment. When Yongguk put his hands on her hips and pulled her closer against his body. When he leaned forward, staring at her with his handsome smile. When she put her arms around his neck and closed the gap between them, sealing their lips in a deep and passionate kiss.

And when she finally opened up her heart to him as well.

 

« I love you too, Bang Yong Guk. » 

 

 

It took us time to be together...

But better late than never, right? (Him)

 

 


 

 

» Ȧut hør’s nøte.

Dear readers,

here's already the new chapter!

Valentine's Day inspired me and I thought it was a good occasion ^o^

I hope you liked this chapter, there are only three left!

Please write a comment to leave your impressions~

Thank you