Fourteenth step.

Strangers On The Air

 


 

 

__Betrayal. If Chae In had to put a word on how she had felt for the past few days, it would be this one. Clearly, she had foolishly thought some sort of connection had formed between them. But now, this -or whatever it was- didn't matter anymore. Maybe she should be relieved. Maybe she should be grateful to him. The pretense was over and things would go back to normal, like nothing had happened.

__It wasn't a heartbreak. It was more like a disappointment, as if she had been waiting for something that never happened. As if she was waking up from a bad dream, disoriented and numb. She had never felt so angry, happy and hurt in a row over such a short period of time, and all because of one single person. And it had changed her in an irreversible way. She wasn't in control of her self anymore, he was.

__She was the only one to blame, after all. She shouldn't have let herself go like this. She had seen what she had wanted to see and not beyond. She had made her emotions too obvious. It was unlike her though, but once again, she wasn't in her right mind.

__She knew ignorance wouldn't solve anything, but it was so much easier. The plan was simple : all she had to do was avoid him. Then why did he have to do these things ? Trying to call her, coming at her workplace, why was he doing that ? She didn't want his explanations. She didn't want hope. She just needed to forget and believe everything would turn out fine over time.

__As long as she didn't run into him.

__The thing with promises is, it's always easier said than done. Even though she resented him, deep down inside, she couldn't help but wishing to forgive him, just this once. She had to face the simple fact that she had fallen for him, but she wasn't ready yet. It just didn't make sense to her, it didn't make sense at all.

__As long as she didn't run into him.

 

*

 

__When Chae In reached her locker, it took her several seconds to notice the big yellow note stuck on it, considering how disconnected she was. She first blinked, wondering what it was doing on her locker. She leaned forward and narrowed her eyes to read the neat handwriting.

 

« Chae In-ah~

Happy birthday, friend !

Come to the studio right now kkkk ^o^

           -Your cute colleague »

 

__She frowned, first thinking she had hallucinations. She glanced at her agenda and sighed. She had totally forgotten about her birthday and to be honest, it was the last thing on her mind. slowly formed a smile at Minhyuk's lovely attention. It was good to know someone still thought about her no matter how horrible company she had been lately. Curious, she closed her closer and quickly headed for the radio studio.

__She would have never expected what was waiting for her. As soon as she entered the room, Minhyuk started singing, flashing her his amazing smile. She stared at him in disbelief. He was holding a little but beautiful cake with some candles on top and "Happy birthday, Im Chae In" written on it. She watched him singing happily and chuckled. How could he be so adorable ?

 

__« Come on, he said once finished, make a wish ! »

 

__He held out the cake to her and gave her an encouraging look. Chae In nodded, closed her eyes while taking a deep breath and eventually blew out the candles. I wish I'll always have you as my friend, Lee Minhyuk.

__He placed the cake on the table and applauded before starting to cut it.

 

__« I feel bad. I didn't do anything for your birthday...

__- It's okay, you had other things on your mind, he gave her a reassuring smile.

__- Still, you shouldn't have done all this. It must have taken you a lot of time.

__- Hey, it's your birthday so it's important to me. And it's nothing, I assure you, I just bought a cake and some candles.

__- Are you kidding ? It's so sweet and considerate of you. »

 

__He looked up and stared at her before giving her a plate with a piece of cake.

 

__« I thought it could cheer you up a little since I know you've feeling down lately. I'm glad if you like it. »

 

__She grinned with a grateful look. No one had ever done something like that for her and she loved it. She put her plate down and walked up to her friend to cuddle him.

 

__« Thank you so much, Minhyuk-ah. You're the best friend ever. I don't know what I'd do without you. »

 

__She tried to fight back the tears that were coming. She felt so undeserving of his kindness. How could he be so nice when she was such a terrible friend to him ? She owed him a lot, she knew it. She promised herself she would make more efforts in the future, he deserved it.

 

__« I told you, he softly said as they were pulling away, that's what friends are for. »

 

__He smiled and grabbed his plate to take a spoon of the cake. Chae In followed suit and he stared at her for a moment. Feeling the weight of his eyes on her, she raised her head as she was chewing and blinked at him in interrogation. He giggled and shook his head.

 

__« It's good to see you smile again, pretty girl. »

 

*

 

__Chin Ho winced and tilted his head with a frown. Annoyed, he turned his head and stared at the vibrating device on the table.

 

__« Noona~ Your phone's ringing. »

 

__But of course, he received no answer. Locked in the bathroom, his sister was too busy singing out loud to whatever music was playing on the radio to pay any attention. He rolled his eyes, realizing how out of tune she was. It was a good thing she was majoring in dance.

 

__« Ah, Noona, please ! »

 

__Meanwhile, whoever was trying to reach her didn't seem to want to stop. Chin Ho ruffled his air in frustration and let out a heavy sigh.

 

__« Aish, so annoying... »

 

__Yielding to curiosity, he got up from his bed and grabbed the little device. He glanced at the enlightened screen and smirked as he saw which name was showing. After making sure her sister couldn't hear him, he picked up the call with no further hesitation.

 

__« Yah, Ajuhssi. Why do you keep calling ? Are you a stalker or something ? »

 

__He heard a gasp of surprise -or shock- and the answer didn't take long to come.

 

__« W-what ? Ajuhssi ? Stalker ?! »

 

__The voice at the end of the line was indeed deep but Chin Ho could tell its owner was around the same age as his older sister. He heard a nervous laugh before his interlocutor continued.

 

__« Yah, you punk. Who the hell are you anyway ? Aish, that girl is really driving me crazy, he started muttering in a whisper. How dare she screw with me like this ? I swear I'll just-

__- Chae In noona is busy right now, she can't talk to you, Chin Ho cut him off, wondering what was possibly the reason of this man cursing at his sister like this. Can I take a message for her ? »

 

__Noona ? She had a little brother ? Well, that was something new. Unexpected, but interesting.

 

__« I guess she's really avoiding me after all, even sending her brother to answer the phone in her place... » he softly said after sighing, realizing he had actually thought out loud.

 

__Chin Ho narrowed his eyes, suspicious. Who was this guy and what was he talking about ? Did the two of them know each other well ? Had they quarreled about something and his sister was mad at him now ? His curiosity had sure been cut to the quick. As far as Chin Ho could remember, he had never seen his sister dating or even hanging out with boys. Maybe she didn't find the time to or maybe she just didn't care. Of course, he was old enough at present to realize he might be the cause, since she had had to put a lot of things aside long ago to take care of him full-time. Wasn't it time to help a little then ?

 

__« But Hyung, what is your relationship to Noona anywa-

__- YAH, IM CHIN HO ! »

 

__The young boy started, almost dropping the phone. He slowly turned his head, afraid to face the glare of his older sister. He had rarely seen her so upset and he had to admit it was pretty scary. She walked towards him with a serious face, pointing her finger at him.

 

__« How dare you pick up someone else's phone ? she was almost screaming. Have I taught you such manners ? Huh ? Have I ??

__- N-no, he stuttered like as if he had been caught red-handed stealing something. I'm sorry, Noona, I called you but you were too busy shout-, I mean singing and-

__- I don't want to hear your excuses, you bad dongsaeng ! I swear to you, once I'm done, you're gonna be so grounded you'll wish to be in North Korea rather than stuck with me, Im Chin Ho. You hear me ? »

 

__He gulped and nodded with apologetic eyes before looking down.

 

__« Good. Now give me that phone. »

 

__He held it out to her with shaking hands before she snatched it and pulled it to her ear, still staring at her brother. She took a deep breath to try to calm herself and cleared before talking.

 

__« I had no idea you could be so stubborn, Bang Yong Guk. Are you deaf or maybe you don't understand Korean ? »

 

__The young man let out a loud laugh. Chae In widened her eyes in disbelief. Had he gone crazy ?

 

__« And I thought you would never talk to me again. I guess I've won then. You're less tenacious than you look, Im Chae In. »

 

__She let out a frustrated sigh and mentally slapped herself. She would have never expected the effect it would have on her and she hated it. Everything came back to her, all the deception and pain. But also fragments of his handsome face, his gummy smile, his reassuring arms and especially, especially at that moment, his deep and husky voice that gave her shivers. She hadn't forgotten all that, she had just temporarily put it in a corner of her mind to protect herself. But it had been useless. All her efforts, burnt to ashes in a few seconds. Just because of one stupid jerk.

__She shook her head while stepping outside her little apartment, shivering as the chilly wind her skin.

 

__« Don't hang up, please, he continued, more seriously. It's good to hear your voice. »

 

__She had missed him. There was the terrible truth she refused to admit.

 

__She bit her lip. What was she supposed to do ? He had such power on her, she felt mesmerized. She felt weak, powerless. It was the simplest thing though, pressing the red button to hang up, but she couldn't come down to it.

 

__« Even if you sound crazy when you're yelling like this. Why are you so mean to your son ?

__- Yah ! Are you stupid ? she hissed, irritated. We're the same age, how can I possibly have a son ? Moreover, this old ?

__- I know, he chuckled, I was just kidding. It's just that you really sounded like a mom earlier. »

 

__It was true. Sometimes, Chae In acted more like a mother than a sister but she had to. Their real mother hadn't been around for a long time so this role had fallen to her but she wasn't dissatisfied with it.

 

__« I yell at my brother if I want to and I don't need your remarks. »

 

__He snickered, glad to hear her nagging.

 

__« I'll hang up now.

__- Wait, please. Just hear me out. I'm really sorry, okay ? How many times more do I have to apologize ?

__- I don't care. It's too easy. I'm really mad at you, Bang Yong Guk. »

 

__He paused and sighed.

 

__« I know. But will you at least stop ignoring me at school ? »

 

__Chae In closed her eyes and tried to end the furious debate taking place inside her brain. She eventually gave up and sighed.

 

__« I'll think about it. »

 

__She heard a soft giggle, sign of his satisfaction. Once again, he had won over her.

 

__« By the way, that's not what I wanted to talk to you about.

__- No ? Then what was it ?

__- Open the front pocket of your bag and you'll know. »

 

__Then he hung up. Surprised, Chae In frowned and put her phone back on the table. She walked back in and grabbed her bag, ping the little pocket. She buried her hand and took out a small envelope. Intrigued, she opened it and pour its content in her hand. She blinked and stared at the radio-shaped key chain incredulously. It was exactly her style, not too big and pretty discreet but beautiful at the same time. She noticed a folded note beside it and picked it up to read it. Unconsciously, immediately turn into a grin.

 

__« Happy birthday to the most annoying girl in the world a.k.a. Im Chae In. -From the great Bang Yong Guk »

 

 

Asking for forgiveness has never been easy for me...

But it's like you made everything more simple. (Him)

 

 


 

 

» Ȧut hør’s nøte.

Hello, dear readers !

I hope you're all doing well on this fine spring day  =)

The season of blooming flowers & confessed love kkkkk~

Maybe it'll influence our story... Are you curious ?  ^^

As always, subscriptions & comments are greatly appreciated~

Thank you