Chapter 42

Loving You Forever

Raymond's gaze took in the paleness of Charmaine's face and the dullness in her eyes.  It was such a contrast from the Charmaine he met and fell in love with.  So different was her appearance that his heart involuntarily constricted with a throbbing pain that wouldn't go away.  Locking his gaze on her he continued to ignore Ben and asked, "Can you tell me what happened to you?"

Standing so close to Ben, Charmaine could literally feel the heat of his fury emanate from his body.  Unbeknownst to herself, she flinched and Raymond caught that small movement.

Flashing angry eyes at Ben, Raymond said tersely, "I know Charmaine is your wife but I would like to talk to her alone."  Perhaps out of Ben's dominating presence, she would be able to confide in him and tell him what's really happening in her marriage to Ben.

Raymond's request caused Charmaine to quickly look up at Ben.  She saw the muscle around his eye leap, a sure indication that he was furious.  Not wanting to risk any harm to Raymond, she said with aloof, "There's nothing for us to talk about."

"Charmaine, I want to ask you something and say a few things to you," Raymond persisted.

"It's fine with me," Ben suddenly announced.  He squeezed Charmaine's hand and walked away with Kenneth stopping a short distance away.

Charmaine was stunned by Ben's sudden agreeable nature.  Never had she expected him to allot her time alone with Raymond.  The last two times he caught her with Raymond had been disastrous and the price she paid for it was forever seared in her memory.  She eyed Raymond cautiously, keeping as much distance between them as she could.  "What do you want to ask me?"

Raymond looked over her shoulder at Ben who was watching them with heightened interest.  Returning his gaze to Charmaine, he asked, "For starters, can you explain to me why you were in the hospital?"

"It's really none of your business," Charmaine answered casually.  She knew Ben was watching them and perhaps even eavesdropping on their conversation.

Narrowing his eyes at her, Raymond snubbed her response and said matter of factly, "I asked the nurse and she told me you tried to kill yourself by slashing your wrists.  Why?"

"As I said, it's none of your business."

Despite Charmaine's cool demeaner, Raymond wasn't giving up.  There must have been a reason for Charmaine to resort to such a desperate act.  It was a way out for her and Raymond bet it was from Ben Wong.  Looking down tenderly at her, he said with emotions that he though he no longer felt for her, "I still care about you.  Very much.  I…."  He saw her eyes mist and continued, "I still love you.  If Ben Wong…  I can protect you from him."

Charmaine's throat tightened at his admission.  She could feel the tears welling in her eyes and lowered her face from his searching gaze to collect herself.  After a moment, she raised her eyes to his.  In a calm voice, devoid of any emotion, she said, "If you insist on knowing then I'll tell you.  Yes, I tried to kill myself.  I did it only to get my husband's attention.  He had been working a lot and I felt neglected."

Disdain and disbelief appeared on Raymond's face as he said, "What?  You tried to kill yourself because you felt neglected by Ben Wong?"

Charmaine inwardly recoiled at the look on Raymond's face.  Still she pushed her self to continue the charade and replied coolly, "Yes Lam Sir!  Are you satisfied now that you gotten the answer?"

Raymond's eyes raked Charmaine from head to toe.  When his gaze leveled on her face again, he spat out, "How could you be so vain and self-centered?  How could I have missed this about you?"

Charmaine smiled with contempt and said flippantly, "That's because you didn't know the real me.  Ben does and he accepts me the way I am.  Now that you finally learn the truth about me you can stop all these illusions you have about loving me and get on with your life and stop interfering in mine's."

Her words slashed at Raymond's already broken heart.  He can't believe he had loved such a cold, selfish person like her and wanted to win her back from Ben Wong.  Hardening his heart against Charmaine's latest revelation, Raymond said icily, "I was wrong about you all along.  To think that I actually loved you…" he paused and continued, "What a fool I was.  Thank you for straightening me out."  Raymond flicked a glance over at Ben and added, "You two make the perfect couple."  With those parting words, Raymond turned and strode quickly away.

Charmaine watched his retreating back, a lump forming in .  Please forgive me, she cried inwardly.  She felt a hand on her shoulder and quickly compose herself before turning to face Ben.

"You handled that very well," Ben complimented with an appreciative smile.  "Now Raymond Lam will definitely leave you alone and let us be."

Charmaine nodded her head bleakly.  Only Kenneth was able to see the torment in her eyes for Kenneth knows how much she loves Raymond and how far she was willing to go to protect him from his deranged brother.

-------------------------------------------

Raymond stomped into the restaurant and immediately found his mom and Mandy.  Advancing towards them he wiped away the encounter with Charmaine and managed to fix a small smile on his face just as he arrived at their table.  "Sorry, I got tied up," he apologized and sat down.

Gigi looked reproachingly at him and said, "We thought you might have forgotten about meeting us.  You know you loose track of time when you're immersed with work."

"I'm sorry," Raymond said but he was looking directly at Mandy.  He suddenly took her hand in his and said softly, "I promise I will spend more time with you."

Gigi's face lit up and a smile spread across her face.  "Raymond always keeps his words," she told Mandy with a wink.

But Raymond wasn't done.  He lifted their hands between them and said, "I know we've been through a lot of twists and turns but in the end we found our way back to each other.  I know in my heart you're the one for me.  Will you marry me?"

Mandy's eyes widen with shock while Gigi beamed happily.  When Mandy made no response, Gigi nudged Mandy in the arm and teased, "It's your turn to say yes."

Seeing the hesitation on Mandy's face, Raymond squeezed her hand and said, "I'm serious.  After the incident with Charmaine, I realized you're the only one for me and I want to spend the rest of my life with you.  Please say you'll marry me."

"Do you still love her?" Mandy asked quietly, her eyes probing as she waited for his answer.

Raymond recalled Charmaine's earlier words and it banished all the love he ever felt for her.  Looking intently at Mandy, he said, "No.  Not anymore."  And he meant it.

A tear slipped down Mandy's cheek and Raymond brushed it gently away with a finger before cupping her face.  Staring into Raymond's eyes, Mandy broke into a small smile and threw her arms around him.  "Yes!" she gasped against his neck.  "Yes!  I'll marry you!"

Gigi clapped heartily, her own eyes tearing.  This was what she always wanted for them.  Raymond has finally found a woman who loves him completely and who he finally realizes that he loves in return.  "Son," she croaked, "Congratulations."

Raymond lifted his head to look at his mom.  He saw the tears in her eyes and chided softly, "Mom, shouldn't you be happy?  Why are you crying?"

Sniffing back a sob, Gigi said, "Its tears of happiness."

Raymond wrapped an arm around Gigi's shoulders and scolded playfully, "Well no more tears.  Let's celebrate and over dinner we can start planning the wedding."

Gigi signaled the waiter and retorted with a sly grin, "I was about to suggest that."