Happy?

Snow Feather

Myungsoo stared at the tall boy in front of him in silence. The pieces of information just refused to enter his brain, so it seeped in at the speed of slime. Eventually, he fully understood.

"What happens if you pass the test?" he asked.

"Well... We get one wish granted." Sungyeol explained.

Rage and disappointment boiled in Myungsoo. I knew it was too good to be true. Nobody cares about me. Even though he told me that story, I bet all he wants is that wish. Myungsoo thought, a bitter smile crossing his face.

"What's wrong?" Sungyeol looked at his partner worriedly.

"You're just using me, aren't you?"

"Huh?"

"You're just using me to get your wish." Myungsoo repeated. "Hah... Why didn't I see this coming? It's obvious you're not actually doing it for me."

A pained expression appeared on Sungyeol's face. "No! I'm not!"

"So you admit it."

"No! I'm not doing it for the wish! I really am just trying to let you live a happy life!" Sungyeol said desperately.

Myungsoo shook his head and stood up. "Leave me alone from now on."

"Wait-- Myungsoo, please, just let me--"

Myungsoo slammed the door behind him. Walking down the hallway, he kind of wanted Sungyeol to follow him. He didn't. Sighing, Myungsoo walked out of the building and towards the park. The disappointment surprised him.

Why? It's not like I expected anything. he wondered.

He reached the empty park and sat down on a swing. The sun was shining brightly over his head and he leaned back with closed eyes to let the warm sunlight soak his face. The chains creaked slightly when he swung his legs around.

So he's a Angel... Here with a mission to make me happy, then he gets a wish granted. No wonder he's been so nice to me. Myungsoo thought. Am I happy?

He thought back to the times when him and his partner were together. The missions, the training, hanging out together, talking about random things. Did he enjoy it all? Was it really improving his life?

Myungsoo heard talking, and he opened his eyes. Two little boys were approaching the playground, one trying to catch up to the other. The boy in front had a cold look on his face, and even had an annoyed expression when the second boy put his hand on his shoulder. The boy snapped something at the second boy. The second boy flinched a bit, but a kind smile returned to his face.

"Why don't you play with me?" he asked.

"Why should I?"

"You look lonely, I thought that you might want someone to play with," the second boy suggested.

"No thanks."

"I know you want to. Nobody likes to be lonely."

"I said--"

"Let's go!" the boy pulled the first one behind him and ran back to the sandbox they came from. Myungsoo watched the whole thing with a sad expression.

That reminds me of when I first met Sungyeol... he thought. Was that how I was like to him? Does he deserve it? Is he using me to get his wish? What if what he told me is true?

Myungsoo watched as the two boys built sand castles. At first, the mean boy refused to cooperate, but the other boy just patiently tried different tactics for him to warm up. Finally it worked. Soon the two boys were laughing and talking as if they were old friends. It reminded Myungsoo even more of Sungyeol and himself.

Before he met the Angel, he had forgotten how to smile. How to see the little details in life that makes it special. When the miracle appeared in his life, everything seemed brighter. He felt more emotions than just anger and irritation. He had learned to appreciate the things he had and be grateful for his life. Myungsoo tried to figure out the mushy feeling that had been coating his heart for the last few weeks. Trying to find a word to describe it, he could only find one.

Happiness.