8

Counting Her Days

 

“Dongwoon-ah!” He called out, making his way towards her.

That’s what she thought.

Doojoon, caught Hara’s eye and gave her a nod of acknowledgment then passed her table and went straight to Dongwoon’s table.

“Who was that?” Junhyung, Hara’s boyfriend asked, glancing towards Doojoon.

“Oh I met him in a hospital. Remember the girl I was talking about?”

“Yeah.” He answered.

“Well, He’s the one who was with her during the tests and all.” Hara explained, not really feeling like explaining.

“Oh.”

“UGH! I just hate her family! They’re insensitive little asses!” Hara exclaimed, once again thinking about Jiyeon’s situation.

“Calm down babe, it won’t do any good on either of us. We can’t do anything about it.” Junhyung replied, squeezing Hara’s hand.

“I know. I wish I could do something though.” Hara sighed, leaning on Junhyung’s shoulder.

 

“Hyung, who was that girl?” Dongwoon asked, glancing towards Hara and her companion.

“Huh? Oh no one.” Doojoon replied, not really caring about Hara.

“So what have you been up to? I haven’t seen you in years!” Doojoon exclaimed.

“Well, I’m back in Korea for good.”

“Jinja!?”

“Yeah, and I’m going to your school.”

“Ah jinja-“

“Yoboseyo?” Doojoon answered when his phone rang, cutting him off.

“HYUNG! WE’RE RUSHING JIYEON TO THE HOSPITAL! SHE’S HAVING ANOTHER- AHHHHHH!”Gikwang’s voice was drowned by a sudden yell which made Doojoon jump to his feet in panic.

“Hyung? What’s wrong?” Dongwoon asked, feeling the sudden tension from Doojoon.

Doojoon ignored him and entered his car with shaking hands.

“Hyung, what happening?” Dongwoon asked, entering the passenger’s seat.

“I’ll explain later.” Doojoon said, his voice breaking at the end. His heart was beating fast and he was worried.

 

The pain was too much.

It was becoming unbearable.

As my head hit the bottom of the stairs, Yubin unnie and Gikwang oppa came running to me; worry evident in their features but I couldn’t tell them I was okay. That I can go through this pain. That it would eventually be over.

Once again, my breathing was becoming ragged, I brought my hands up to my hair and pulled on them, hoping for the pain to stop.

But it never did.

My vision was starting to blur.

Tears made it’s way down my cheeks, falling on the cold concrete floor with every breath I took. Yes, even breathing hurt me but I was fighting to breathe.

At this point, I feel like I’m fighting for my life.

Fighting for a place in this hell I call my life.

Fighting but never winning.

Then everything turned black.

“Doongwoon-ah, if she wakes up, just call us arasso?” I heard someone whisper.

Who the heck is Dongwoon?

“De, ommeonni.” A masculine voice replied, not so far away from me.

“You know, I can stay instead.” Someone offered.

Doojoon oppa?

“YAH! The you haven’t taken a bath in two days! You’re stinking up the room!” Yubin unnie whisper-yelled.

“AISH, fine. Dongwoon-ah call  arasso?”

“Yes sir.” Wait what? They’re leaving me!?

‘Unnie! Oppa! I’m awake! Don’t leave!’ I wanted to yell but I couldn’t.

“Annyeong!” Yubin unnie said. Moments later, I heard a closing of the door.

I tried to shift but it hurt.

I tried to open my eyes, but they felt heavy.

“Uh…Yoo hoo! Are you awake?” The same masculine voice said, from beside me.

I wanted to respond but I couldn’t.

What the hell?

“Uh… can you hear me?” He tried again. I moved my middle and pointer fingers, well since it was the only thing I can do at the moment.

“Oh well, just go back to sleep, it’s useless talking to a person who’s closing their eyes.” The guy said. I frowned and heard a laugh.

I found myself slowly opening my eyes and squinting at the sudden brightness.

As my vision adjusted to my surroundings, the first thing I saw was a heart monitor.

Only an idiot wouldn’t know that I’m in a hospital.

“So you’re awake!” My head snapped towards my right and saw a guy with brown hair, sitting comfortably on the hospital couch.

“No I’m asleep.” I replied sardonically, smirking at him.

“So you sleep with your eyes open?” He played along, doing a fake gasp.

“Yeah, pretty much.” He smiled and his hand out towards me.

“Annyeong! I’m Dongwoon and I know you’re Jiyeon!” He announced. I laughed at him and shook his waiting hand.

“Well, since you know who I am, uh what are you doing here?” I asked.

“OH! Right, I’m supposed to call Doojoon hyu-“

“Wait.” I cut him off.

“Can you, uh please call the doctor first? You can call Doojoon Oppa and Yubin unnie later.”

“Gwenchana? Okay wait here.” He said, speeding out of the room.

A few seconds later he returned with the doctor. Yes, I said seconds.

“Ah, Jiyeon I see you’re awake.” I stared at him blankly. Is this every dialogue a doctor should follow?

‘Ah I see you’re awake.’ That’s just freaky.

“Well, I have your results would you like to know them now?”

“Yes please.” I said, my heart suddenly thundering.

The doctor glanced towards Dongwoon.

“What?” Dongwoon asked, looking around.

“JiYeon-ah, would it be okay if he heard too?” The doctor asked.

Ah, so that’s why.

“Yeah.” I permitted.

I mean how bad can it be right?

“Arasso, so from the results, we found that you only have 800 platelets in your blood.” He started.

“Is that bad?” I asked cautiously.

“A normal person had about 5000 to 10,000 platelets.” He continued. I stared at him wide eyed, and tried to control my breathing. Dongwoon inched his way closer towards me.

“So what happens now? Is this why I black out so much?” I asked.

He shook his head.

“That’s a different topic but the abnormal drop of your platelets and the other tests you took all lead to one sickness and that’s Idiopathic thrombocytopenic purpura or ITP.” He said.

“It’s a bleeding disorder in which the immune system destroys platelets, which are necessary for normal blood clotting. This can be very dangerous if you get hit Jiyeon.” He continued.

“What do you mean? If I get hit?”

He nodded.

“If you get hit, even the slightest can make you bleed non stop and make you loose blood.” I tried to even out my breathing. This can’t be possible. If I don’t get hit? I always get hit!

“So what treatments are there?” Dongwoon oppa asked, sensing my lack of words.

“Well, here’s where the reason for your blackouts come.” The doctor replied, adjusting his tie.

“What do you mean?” I asked, out of breath. I felt strong arms, wrap themselves around my shoulders.

“Jiyeon, we have found a tumor in your brain.” He said, telling me slowly.

“W-what? A tumor? H-how?”I asked, feeling tears prick at the corner of my eyes. I felt Dongwoon oppa pull me close towards him giving me comfort but it isn’t working, my heart sped up more, my breathing became pants, my hands were shaking and I was sweating.

“So w-what abo-about the treatmeant?” I stuttered, looking straight at the doctor who looked away.

“Please answer me.” I pleaded, closing my eyes, hoping for the best.

“I’m afraid, there’s no more treatment Jiyeon. Your cancer may be in the first stage but we can’t be too sure about chemotherapy or radiotherapy. ” He replied, looking at me squarely.

“But why?” I asked, letting the news sink in.

I can’t be cured?

“You have two diseases, If either one of them will complicate, it’s instant death Jiyeon.” The doctor said.

“How many days?” I ask, staring at him with new unshed tears.

“Excuse me?” He asked not quite getting me.

“How many days till I die? I’m not a stupid person. I know a only 2 out of 10 survive from brain tumor and those survivors underwent surgeries and therapy. I can’t get either so how many days?” I ask, trying to sound unbothered.

“I’m sorr-“

“JUST. TELL. ME” I said in a low voice.

“The most I can give you is 9 months. You have at least9 months on your life but that isn’t sure yet. I said at least you can live longer or-“

“Die tomorrow.” I continued for him, closing my eyes and give out a shaky breath.

“Yes.” He said, looking down.

“Doctor, can I trust you not to tell anyone my condition?” I ask.

“Of course Jiyeon.” He nodded then left the room.

“Jiyeon?”

“I’m dying.” I stated and turned to Dongwoon who was looking at me with downcast eyes.

“Mianhe.” He said giving me a hug which I gratefully returned.

“Dongwoon?”

“Yeah?”

“Please don’t tell anyone I might not wake up tomorrow.” I ask a tears sliding down my face.

“You have to tell them Jiyeon.” He said tightening his arms around me.

“You know, I just met you and I’m hugging you.” I stated avoiding the topic.

“Well who cares?” HE said hugging me tighter, if that was even possible.

I laughed.

“You’re right, this might be my very last hug.” I stated and smiled despite my heavy heart.

I suddenly yawned.

“Are you sleepy again?” Dongwoon asked, raising his eyebrow at me.

“Yup.” I said through another yawn and laid back down on the bed.

“Then go to sleep Jiyeon. See you tomorrow.” He said, giving me a big smile.

“That’s if tomorrow ever comes.” I mumbled, closing my eyes dreaming – hoping- wishing that I would still have a tomorrow. 

 

 

 

 

heey! so now you know Haras boyfriend is Junhyung. hhehehe  oh and there are only two POVs the authors and JIYEOn"s no one elses... :D 

beastlyteenrshinebig : hope this chapter cleared things up! :D and Doojoon's girlfriend will be revealed in the later chapters.

chudo-Ned- : Yoseob is a..... well he could be good he could also be bad. You'll see ;D

MomoLove : HAHAHAHA. yeah but there'd be nothing to look forward to if there are no elipses! 

angela718_sdw: actually that's what I planned at first but thought that it'd be too obvious so TA DA! :D

I love you!

please don't forget to comment and subscribe!