19

Counting Her Days

"Ready to head back? The doctors have good news to tell you." He shifted to drive and I stared at him trying to smile.

"What could it possibly be?" I ask, trying to genuinely sound curious and repress the feeling hope that has risen with in me. Hope that somehow the doctors would tell me I don't have cancer or ITP; that I'm suddenly healed but the bruises on my arms prove otherwise. 

"I don't know." He answered flatly. I giggled.

"Oppa, that was a rhetorical question." I stated, earning an amused face from him. 

"By the way, where are Hara unnie and the others?" I asked, noticing for the first time the the car was empty. He didn't answer, he merely stepped on the pedal and drove when the traffic light turned green.

"Oppa?" Silence.

"What did I do? Why aren't you answering me!?" I asked panicking.

"Oh, Mianhe I thought that was a rhetorical question." He answered me smirking victoriously.

"Pabo." I muttered, playing with the seat belt.

"What?" He saked, giving me THE STARE.

"I said saraghae Oppa!" I squeaked, giving him a big smile.

"I thought so."  The rest of the ride was spent in comfortable silence; both of us too consumed in our own thoughts. I glanced towards Junhyung Oppa and smiled. For a while he made me forget about Doojoon Oppa- He made me feel like we were once again little kids with no problems. I know he knows it didn't go well with Doojoon Oppa and he didn't ask me about it and for that I'm grateful. 

I stared out the window as a tear rolled down my left cheek. I might die soon and I'd die with Doojoon Oppa hating me. Why did I do that? Because I didn't want to burden him? That's got to be the worse excuse anyone can come up with and I know that. More tears fell from my eyes as I stared at the buildings while realization dawned on me.

I didn't tell Doojoon Oppa because I'm scared. He might leave me. He says he loves me now, but I'm going to be a handful to take care of. He might give up on me and I'd still end up hurting him either way. If he doesn't leave me- I will.

Death is smiling at me and I have no choice but to smile back. 

"Jiyeon?" Junhyung Oppa spoke, interrupting my thoughts.

"Yeah?" I answered, not facing him, wiping my damp cheeks.

"We're here." I looked up and like he said, we were right in front of the hospital.

"You're not going to park?" I asked, glancing at him. My brother stared at me for a long second before pulling me to him and wrapping his arms around me.

"We're in this fight together okay?" He whispered. My tears were once again falling- not because Doojoon Oppa but an entirely different reason- but because my brother was crying too.

"Don't give up arasso?" He continued- I nodded silently burrying my head on the crook of his neck.

"Tell me you won't give up." 

"I won't Oppa. I won't give up." I answered, feeling his arms tighten around me. I flinched slightly because of my bruises but I could care less. He pulled away and apologized.

"Mianhe- Did I hurt you?" He asked, carefully scanning my upper body for any new bruise with tears still running down his face. I shook my head as my heart shattered at the sight of my brother crying. Crying for my life.

"Promise me you won't give up Jiyeon." He stated once again, now staring me straight in the eyes. 

"I-" I was cut off when a car honked behind us. Then I remembered we were still infront of the hospital.

"I have to go Oppa- Why don't you just park the car." The car behind us honked again.

"I have a commercial shoot to go to. Mom and the others are waiting in your room." He answered as I turned around and took hold of the door handle ready to get out. My foot was already out the door when he grabbed my wrist.

"Promise me Dongsaeng." He said. I didn't want to lie. Instead, I just smiled at him, pulled my wrist from his light grip and closed the door when the car behind us honked for the third time. 

"Jiyeon-ah!!" I turned at the sound of Dongwoon's voice.

"Eh? What are you doing down here?" I asked, entering the hospital with a smile.

"It didn't go well with Doojoon Hyung?" Yoseob asked, earning a smack from Hara unnie and a look from Gikwang oppa who was mouthing words that look very close to 'Don't talk about it!' 

I laughed. They can be idiots but they never fail to make me smile.

"Anywayyyy- where's your brother?" Hara unnie asked, looking around.

"He's in a commercial shoot. He didn't tell you?" I asked, frowning.

"Ah right! I forgot and we saw his car from the room so we decided to come pick both of you up." 

"I have cancer, not a broken leg-"

"Yoseob!" Hearing that voice, my body instantly froze- I felt my inside twist and it's as if a very heavy dumb bell was just thrown on my shoulders. Why is she here? I glanced at Dongwoon, Gikwang and Hara unnie only to see them wear the same struck expression as me. 

"Hyuna?" Yoseob asked, eyes wide, immediately moving me to the side, stepping behind me. Luckily I was face the other way.

"W-What are you doing here?" Yoseob asked, sounding nervous.

"Well you know I got the flu and all. How about you? What are you doing here?" She asked. Even though I'm facing away from her I'm pretty sure she was already tip-toening trying to see who the girl behind Yoseob was.

"I- uh you know yearly check-ups." He answered almost smoothly.

"Who's that girl behind you?" She asked. 

"Hyuna!" I glanced up and saw my dad walking towards our direction he saw me- I'm sure he did and by the look he gave me, I know he recognized me but he didn't say anything. I stood there, frozen in place waiting for him to scream, yell or even slap me. Gikwang Oppa and Dongwoon Oppa inched closer towards me- As I stared at my dad- he stared back coming closer he was a meter away from me but he didn't do anything he swerved to the left and straight towards Hyuna.

"Let's go." He said in a cold voice that made shivers run down my spine.

"Appa, I'm still talking to my friend." She said sounding spoiled and irritated.

"I don't care If you're not going to follow me out right now, I'm leaving you and locking the house." He said and with that I heard his foot steps evaporate.

"Ugh- suddenly he's treating me like my dumb sister." Hyuna muttered,  walking away.

"Jiyeon please let me hit her. I swear I'll be the happiest girl alive." Hara unnie pleaded, as I relaxed.

"Unnie." I warned. No matter what Hyuna was still my sister. We were cnnecte by blood. I don't know why she hated me so much but if given a chance I'd patch things up with her.

"Fine." She muttered, frowning.

"Gwenchana?" Hyunseung Oppa asked, appearing out of a corner.

"Since when were you there?" I asked truly confused.

"I followed them down since you're mom was worried you were taking so long. I saw Your dad and heard Hyuna's voice. It would be suspicious if I she sees me with Seobbie." I nodded my head in understanding a smiled at him.

"I'm okay." I answered but i know he knows I'm anything but.

"Let's go I wanna eat the jell-o the hospital serves!" Yoseob exclaimed while all of us made a face.

"You know, You're the only person I know who actually likes hospital food." Dongwoon said, sounding disgusted.

"PSH, just because you don't have sense of taste..." Yoseob answered, trailing off rolling his eyes at us.

-------------------------------------------------

That night, as I stared at my mom's sleeping face on the couch. I sighed for the hundredth time and cried for the thousandth time. I willed my self to sleep thinking about one thing that over took my heart break. Before my dad swerved- He gave me a look. But what look? I don't know. Regret? Longing? Sorrow? Love? It was all new. I was used to seeing disgust reflected in his eyes but suddenly this? I finally started to drift off when I heard the door of my room open. I wanted to look up and see who it was but the darkness was pulling me.

"Mianhe Jiyeon-ah. I failed as your father. Jeongmal Mianhe." Something wet hit my cheeks but I wasn't so sure what it was or what I was hearing. The medicines must be giving me illusions. With that, I fell asleep.

------------------------------------------------------

"What are you doing here?" Minsu, Jiyeon's mother asked her husband Kang Dae coldly.

Kang Dae held Jiyeon's left hand and burried his face in it, tears of regret and sorry falling uncontrolablly. His body shook as sobs racked his body. Minsu stared at his husband's back with tears in her eyes. This was the man he fell in love with. The man who had a heart. After the death of Jay he just turned into some cold heart-less monster. She approached him and rubbed his back. 

"Mianhe Yeobo- T-this I did this." He silently muttered tightening his grip around his daughter's hand- never wanting to let go. 

"I'm at fault here too- If only I had stopped you." Minsu replied trying to comfort her husband as she felt a wave of guilt wash over her.

"Jiyeon-ah, mianhe." Kang Dae raised his head and stared at his daughter. She looked so fragile. Pale as a sheet, very thin- bruises splattered all over her arms. His tears were falling continuosly as he wept for his daughter when the doctor knocked and entered the door.

"Oh, I'm sorry for interuppting but I have the good news." THe doctor said, entering giving the parents a soft smile.

"What is it?" Kang-Dae asked, suddenly alert.

"Ah, she's asleep I thought Jiyeon would be the who'd want to hear this the most." The doctor said, smiling sadly at Jiyeon.

"What is it?" Minsu asked softly.

"Well, it seem like the medicine is improving her ITP condition and a few days ago if you remember she asked me whether it was okay for her to stay home? The answer is yes. Her condition is stabilized but I strongly advice you to visit the hospital twice a week to check her condition." The doctor replied.

"When can we check out?" Minsu asked.

"The day after tomorrow." The doctor said smiling.

"That's great! I'll be sure to tell Jiyeon once she wakes up." Minsu said.

"De. I'll leave now." The doctor announced.

"Why don't we just make her stay here? She'd be safer." Kang-Dae said.

"It's what she wants Yeobo. This once I want to give her what she wants." Minsu replied.

"Okay."

"And she'll be going back to school so I suggest you tell Hyuna to leave her alone." Minsu said warningly, anger and betrayal filling her heart with the thought of her other daughter.

"I already did." Kang- Dae replied, feeling the same thing his wife did with the thought of Hyuna. 

 

HEEEEY!!!! LONG CHAPTER!!!!!!! I FELT INSPIRED TODAY... HEHEHEHEHHEE JUST WONDERING AND ALL... UH DO YOU KNOW WHAT'S GOING TO HAPPEN NEXT? CAUSE I FEEL LIKE EVERYTHING'S STARTING TO BE TOO OBVIOUS. HEHEHEHEHE AND THANKS SOOOOO MUCH FOR THE COMMENTS! I REALLY I APRECIATE IT! :D

I LOVE YOU!

PLEASE DON'T FORGET TO COMMENT AND SUBSCRIBE!