The Line Between Prejudice And Truth 14th + 15th Day

The Line Between Prejudice And Truth

 

[14 - SUNDAY]

As on every Sunday, SiWon went to church. He spent his whole morning there before he came back home at midday for dinner.

In the afternoon he had decided to visit DongHae, so he told his mother and left. It was a warm day and he was so lost in his own thoughts that he forgot to ask his friends where DongHae was living. Only now he realized that he stood in the middle of the city without a plan where to go now.

", what did I even thought when I left home?" he wondered, angry with himself. "Yeah, I know, I know. I thought of Teukkie and what he told me...and of HeeChul," he murmured to himself. He looked around. What should he do now? Go back home? That wouldn't help him to find out where DongHae was living.

Then he remembered LeeTeuk telling him that when he visits his grandparents at the weekend he stayed for the night, so maybe he was still there.

SiWon hurried back to his street and rang the doorbell where LeeTeuk's grandparents lived.

An older woman with a warm smile opened the door. SiWon had to smile to himself. Her face looked just too much like LeeTeuk's.

"Hello. I'm sorry for disturbing on a Sunday but is LeeTeuk still there?" SiWon asked friendly.

The older lady seemed to be just as nice as LeeTeuk. She nodded with a big smile. "Yeah, he is. You are a friend of him? Just come in. You can sit there on the couch and wait while I go and tell him his friend is here, okay?" she suggested and pulled SiWon in and to the living room. SiWon had only enough time to thank her before she had already disappeared.

SiWon was surprised at how friendly she was but her attitude was dangerous. If he wasn't a friend, if he was a thief, she wouldn't know and he could take away her jewels and even kill her.

SiWon didn't even wait for two minutes when LeeTeuk entered the living room. "Oh, SiWon. Hi! What's going on?" he asked with a smile, exactly the same smile like the old woman.

"You know, I wanted to visit DongHae but I don't know where he's living," SiWon immediately admitted with a laughter.

LeeTeuk laughed as well. "Oh my, okay. He lives...I think it's best if I just accompany you there, hm?" he suggested and SiWon nodded thankfully.

So LeeTeuk told his grandmother that he would go out with his friend and she immediately agreed.

The two friends went along the road back through the whole city. They passed their favorite café and even the school when SiWon eventually asked:" Where the hell does Hae live?!"

LeeTeuk chuckled. "At the other end of the city," he explained and SiWon groaned. "Please tell me we're there now," he said when these two reached a few big houses where many families seemed to live.

LeeTeuk laughed once more. "Almost."

SiWon sighed and followed LeeTeuk for another six minutes before the older one finally said: "We're there. Look. In that house he lives," LeeTeuk explained and SiWon breathed out in relief. "Thank God. Finally!"

LeeTeuk nodded with a smile and waved goodbye. "Then good luck, SiWon."

SiWon stared at him. "You won't come with me now that you are already here?" he asked stunned.

LeeTeuk smiled and shook his head no. "See you tomorrow. Actually today I'm busy, too. So I've to go now. I've to do some things. See you tomorrow then," he said and left.

SiWon swallowed and rang the doorbell. A man opened the door. It was probably DongHae's father. SiWon didn't know what he should think of him. He seemed nice but strict as well.

"Who is it? Who is it? Who is it?" A little girl asked instantly. SiWon recognized her as Hae-Jung.

"Hello. I'm SiWon, a friend of DongHae. Can I see him?" he asked politely. "Hey, Hae-Jung."

"Oh, hi!" she replied smiling but SiWon was sure she couldn't remember him.

The man nodded. "Come, Hae-Jung. Your friend will arrive in a few minutes," he told her and took her hand. "SiWon, you can come in," he said and SiWon thanked him. DongHae's father closed the door and then he spoke to the little girl once more. "Show SiWon Hae's room, alright? When you come back down, I'm sure your friend will be there. Now go," he said and let go of Hae-Jung's small hand.

She nodded instantly and grabbed SiWon's hand to make him follow her up the stairs.

"There," she only said and pointed at a white door before he ran back down.

SiWon breathed in and out deeply before he knocked at the door. "Can I come in?" he asked. A noise, he supposed it meant yes, was heard, so he opened the door to see DongHae sitting at his desk, writing something. He turned around to look who was there. "Oh, SiWon?"

"Hi. Hae, I'm sorry-" he began but DongHae interrupted him. "No, it's my fault. I'm sorry. I shouldn't have yelled at you like that. I was just so furious and...yeah. Sorry anyway," he explained, avoiding SiWon's gaze.

"I'm here to explain it to you," SiWon announced amd DongHae nodded. "Okay, I'm listening."

SiWon swallowed. He thought of LeeTeuk and what they had decided together and finally started to speak again. "I just wanted to play with him. It was a bet between LeeTeuk and me, nothing more. Don't worry, I don't like him in any kind of way," SiWon assured him with an uneasy smile but DongHae didn't noticed the lie.

He breathed out in relief. "Oh okay. Then I'm even more sorry for being so rude."

"It's okay, Hae. It was just a misunderstanding," SiWon declared with a shrug.

"Anyway, Kyu, Min and YeSung were here yesterday. They asked for what had happened with me and you but I didn't told them the reason. So everything's fine now, okay?" DongHae said and SiWon nodded gladly. But then he remembered HeeChul.

"Hae..." SiWon was unsure of how to ask, so he just said as he thought. "Do you really have beaten up HeeChul?"

DongHae shrugged and then nodded with a proud smile. SiWon forced himself to smile as well but actually he was shocked. Why had he done that? But SiWon didn't dare to ask DongHae himself for he didn't want another situation like before betweem them. He decided to ask YeSung, KyuHyun or SungMin on the next day. They should know it and then he could explain them everything as well.

"Okay, I'm happy we're alright now. Thanks again. I'll go now," SiWon announced and DongHae stood up to hug him as they always had done before. They both were smiling brightly when they parted and SiWon left the house to go home.

---[15 - MONDAY]

When SiWon arrived at school on Monday, he noticed that HeeChul still wasn't there. So the first thing he did after greeting his friends and going to the class room with them was going to YeSung to ask him about HeeChul. YeSung couldn't keep secrets for long, so he probably would tell SiWon. "YeSung, why did DongHae even beat up HeeChul?"

YeSung raised an eyebrow but shrugged. "I'm not quiet sure, but I suppose to show him that he should stay away from us," he explained with a smirk.

Before SiWon could continue to ask questions the teacher arrived and started the lesson, so he had to sit down on his own seat next to KyuHyun.

"Good morning, class. I'm finished with your exams. You know I'm fast with it. So to begin with, I'm quiet disappointed of you. Not everyone but some of you, it seems, haven't learned at all because there is at least a third that didn't pass the exam," the teacher announced. SiWon's face turned pale instantly. He had to pass it. There was still a chance in the re-examination but that was much more difficult.

"I think, I'll just give the exams back first, alright? And because there are a lot who have to take the re-exam, I won't talk about it but just continue with the lesson then," the teacher declared and the students nodded, some excited because they were sure they had passed and other's with an uncomfortable expression, showing they wern't sure if they had passed or failed.

"So, first YeSung," the teacher called and said student stood up to get his result.

The teacher continued to call the names and SiWon watched everyone carefully. Eventually, the teacher named HeeChul. "Where is he?" he asked when he noticed he was missing.

The whole class shrugged. "Okay, it doesn't really matter. Then, SungMin."

While SungMin headed to the desk at the front where the teacher was waiting for him, SiWon was quiet shocked that even the teacher seemed to be disgusted by HeeChul. At least he didn't care even a little for him.

"SiWon," he called and SiWon stood up with a racing heart.

"Here, your result," the teacher said and handed the sheets over to SiWon who took them with a shaking hand.

Slowly he went back to his seat. Only then he looked for his result. A relieved smile spreat over his face when he saw that he had passed. But then he started to worry for his friends. The teacher had said that many students didn't pass. Hopefully it was no one of his friends who failed.

SiWon turned to KyuHyun next to him. "So?"

KyuHyun shrugged. "He didn't call me yet," he told SiWon. "And you?"

"Passed," SiWon said with a bright smile.

"You passed? Me, too! Thanks so much, SiWon. Without you I'm not sure if I would have passed as well!" SungMin exclaimed when he approached SiWon and KyuHyun.

"No need to say thanks," SiWon stated friendly and KyuHyun hugged SungMin. "Great. I knew, you would do it!" he said and patted him on the shoulder.

The lesson passed by and some students always had questions, so that the time passed quickly.

---

At lunch break the seven friends came together to eat. It was only then that they talked about their exams.

"YeSung, you passed right?" RyeoWook asked, expecting a nod and that was what YeSung did.

"Me, too!" RyeoWook exclaimed and high-fived with YeSung with a bright smile.

"And you?" The two looked at their other friends with a hopeful smile that they could have learned enough to not prepare for a re-exam.

"Me, too!" SungMin announced. His eyes were sparkling due to his happiness. "And Kyu, too, right, Kyu?" he looked at him and said one nodded with a small smile.

"Woah!" Everyone was more than stunned.

"We go celebrate that after school, alright?" SiWon suggested excited.

"So you passed, too?" YeSung asked and SiWon nodded, proud of himself and happy not to get punished by his parents.

"Great, I come with you. Thanks to our SiWon that we won't have to take the re-exam!" LeeTeuk declared and everyone nodded thankfully. SiWon blushed slightly. "You're welcome. I'm happy I could help."

"Guys, I can't go, I've to go to my mum. I told you about here already," RyeoWook said suddenly.

"Can't you come with us to the café first and afterwards we go to visit her all together?" SungMin suggested and everyone nodded.

"Okay, thanks," RyeoWook murmured gladly and smiled now, too.

"But I really can't come with you. Sorry, but I've to go home," DongHae announced.

"Why?" Everyone asked. Their shoulders sank and they threw a sad expression at their friend. "Because my mum, Hae-Jung and me want to visit my dad," he announced.

Slowly, his friends nodded. "Okay," YeSung murmured upset.

"But you passed, too, didn't you?" LeeTeuk asked expectantly and to their all relief, DongHae nodded.

---

It was after school when they waved goodbye at DongHae and headed to their favorite café.

"I'm really relieved everyone passed," LeeTeuk stated and SiWon nodded as well.

"Can we change the subject? I don't want to talk about the exam anymore," KyuHyun said.

"So about what then?" YeSung asked.

KyuHyun smirked. "About our little SungMin because he's so happy today."

SungMin glared at him and everyone else looked at KyuHyun in confusion. SiWon didn't quiet understand what KyuHyun meant with that.

"Min, tell us a secret you didn't told anyone before," KyuHyun demanded. SungMin's glare got even more intense. "No," he decided with a pout.

"Come on, please!"

"No!" SungMin repeated stubbornly.

While they were fighting, SiWon leaned to YeSung next to him. "Where is DongHae's father? Yesterday, he was at home...," SiWon asked quietly and looked at his friend.

YeSung smiled a small smile. "DongHae's mother lives with his step-father. Hae's real father lives in the next city," YeSung explained in a whisper and finally SiWon understood.

---

"Guys. can we go to the hospital now? My Umma is waiting," RyeoWook said and they nodded and paid for their drinks.

"Thanks," he said when they left the café to walk to the building RyeoWook's mother was in currently.

"How is your mother by the way?" SiWon asked concerned,

"Is she feeling better by now or does the doctor know more about what is wrong with her?" YeSung added and they looked expectantly at RyeoWook who shrugged and shook his head at the same time. "I don't know. That's why we're visiting her," he stated with a laughter and the other's laughed along with him. They were happy that RyeoWook wasn't sad or anything. He was completly relaxed on the way and it made his friends happy.

SiWon didn't know what he expected when he would see RyeoWook's mother but it was totally different.

They went along the long hallways in the hospital and up the stairs until they reached the room where she was in.

RyeoWook knocked at the door and entered. "Hey Umma," he said with a smile and approached one of the three beds in the room.

SiWon and the other's walked a little behind him and just greeted everyone while they wanted to give RyeoWook a little time to talk alone first.

SiWon glanced to the bed where RyeoWook sat down on a chair next to. In the bed was a lady. She looked fine as far as he could see. Her hair was dark and when she had heared her son's voice she started to smile.

RyeoWook turned around and gave his friends a sign to come closer.

"Umma, here are my friends, LeeTeuk, SungMin, KyuHyun, SiWon and YeSung. They came with me today. I hope you don't mind. You probably know them except of SiWon maybe? He's new here," RyeoWook explained and waved SiWon to come even more closer while their other friends greeted her again.

SiWon noticed his friend's hand lifting the hand of his mother he was holding and leading it to SiWon's face.

SiWon was confused and even kind of shocked and looked surprised at the woman. It was only then that he noticed she was blind.

At first he wanted to nod but figured out she couldn't see it so he opened his mouth to speak. "Hello. I'm SiWon. Nice to meet you," he said and the woman smiled brightly with a nod.

RyeoWook gave him a thankful smile. "Thanks," he whispered silently. "Umma, how are you feeling today? Was the doctor already there to check on you?" he asked and the woman shook his head but pointed at her watch. RyeoWook nodded and finally SiWon realzied that she wasn't just blind but dumb as well.

"Umma, I'll come back tomorrow evening with my brothers, okay? Have a good day. See you then," RyeoWook said and hugged her before they left.

They walked back through the halls and while RyeoWook talked with LeeTeuk, SungMin was whispering to KyuHyun and SiWon turned to YeSung. "I didn't know about his mother...," SiWon murmured, kind of shocked.

YeSung nodded. "I don't know much but she wasn't born like that. I don't know what happened to her, but RyeoWook and his brothers are taking good care of her," he said with a smile.

SiWon nodded. Deep in thoughts he looked around at how long they would have to go when a little child ran into them. It fell back down and started to cry.

Everyone looked at it with a worried look. SungMin who the kid ran into tried to help her, it seemed it was a girl, up but she refused, crying even more.

"God, I'm sorry. Please, stand up. Are you hurt?" he asked in concern but the girl refused to talk to him. Suddenly SiWon recognized the child. He kneeled down in front of it. "Hey, Chin-Sun?" he asked and the girl looked up with blurry eyes.

SiWon smiled and lifted her up into his arm. SungMin stared at him in question, confused why the kid listened to SiWon but then he realized that SiWon probably knew it.

SiWon knowing about who would also be here somewhere, told his friends to go and wait outside while he would just bring the little girl back to her parents, in this case to HeeChul.

They nodded and left. "So, Chin-Sun, please stop crying. Where's your Appa?" he asked her but she just sobbed.

"Are you hurt?" SiWon wanted to know but she shook her head, still not stopping her tears. SiWon sighed and when he met a nurse, he asked her for Chin-Sun's Appa. "Have you seen Kim HeeChul? This is his daughter and we can't find him," he explained, hoping the nurse would know him. And to his relief she nodded. "There in room 405," she told them and left.

"Okay, Chin-Sun. We go to your Appa now, okay?" SiWon asked her with a smile and wiped away her tears. "Stop crying now, yeah?" And finally the child listened and stopped. SiWon smiled even more. "Thanks. So why are you alone here? Did you ran away?"

The girl shook her head.

"Did you lost him when you two went through these long hallways?" SiWon asked and Chin-Sun nodded.

"Okay, we'll find him," SiWon told her, still holding her to his chest. Her little hands clung tightly onto him. She was so cute, he thought.

"There in this hall, right?" SiWon murmured and went to look for said door.

"SiWon? Uhm...have you seen-" HeeChul's voice made SiWon turn around with Chin-Sun. Her face lit up immediately and she struggled to get free. SiWon chuckled and let her down, so she could run to his Appa.

"Appa!" she exclaimed and fell into HeeChul's arms. "Oh God, thanks SiWon. She was missing suddenly and I didn't know where she could be," he explained and seemed to be really relieved now.

SiWon observed HeeChul carefully when he remembered that he hadn't seen him in a few days and noticed some scratches and bruises. Still HeeChul kept smiling. SiWon didn't dare to ask about it.

"Why are you here, SiWon?" the older one asked friendly.

"Uhm, I visit someone with my friends," he said and HeeChul raised his eyebrows, obviously surprised because now SiWon was alone. He looked around and SiWon laughed. "I told them to leave after I met your daughter."

"Oh."

SiWon felt unsure whether he should ask or not, not knowing if it was rude after all, but ended up asking anyway. "Why are you here? You...you aren't so injuried that you..." SiWon stopped in the middle of his sentence, being really afraid of the answer. It was one of his best friends that had made HeeChul look like that after all and even SiWon himself felt guilty.

HeeChul chuckled. "What if I would say yes?"

SiWon's eyes widened in shock and HeeChul laughed even more. "No, no, just kidding. I'm...fine. This is nothing. I was visiting my mom," he stated with a sad smile.

SiWon looked at him carefully before he decided to ask further. "Why is she here?"

HeeChul hesitated. He didn't want to answer at first but eventually did anyway. "She has cancer," he explained.

"But I already visited her, so now I'm going home. W-Want to come with me?" he asked shyly.

SiWon wanted to turn him down because he still didn't know what he was thinking about him. HeeChul was disgusting but LeeTeuk told him more than one time to try and don't let a special person just go before it's too late. So eventually SiWon nodded.

HeeChul seemed to be happy with this answer but then his smile faded for he suddenly seemed to remember something. "No...I can't. I've to go somewhere first," he thought out loud. I'm sorry, SiWon."

"Can't I come with you?" said one asked but HeeChul shook his head firmly. "No."

SiWon sighed. "Okay. Do you come to school tomorrow?"

HeeChul nodded. "See you tomorrow then," he stated and went away with Chin-Sun still in his arms.

SiWon smiled and looked after him. He wanted to go home himself when he thought about following HeeChul to look where he was going to go. He knew he shouldn't but decided to do it nonetheless.

While SiWon was walking and following his class mate, he realized that his view of him had changed slowly. It was harder to still believe what he was told about HeeChul at the very beginning.

But one thing was still there that couldn't change anything. It was HeeChul's daughter. There was no excuse for it. It seemed as if he was a just like KyuHyun had told him. He had seen him walking in a whorehouse. He couldn't pretend that all this didn't happen. Maybe the truth couldn't be denied.

SiWon was so deep in his own thoughts that when he came back to reality he needed a few seconds to realize where he was. It was just the right moment to see HeeChul disappear into a familiar house. SiWon was more than shocked. Not only the fact that it was the same building he had thought about just a couple of seconds ago but more that HeeChul was walking in it with his daughter. What the hell did he want there with his daughter? SiWon felt so sorry for her. He was relieved to know that Chin-Sun was such a happy kid but he was really scared for her to change because with what she should have experienced by now, it was hard to not lose his mind.

SiWon shook his head to himself. That whorehouse was the reason why HeeChul was busy?

SiWon went home with his mind filled with thoughts of disbelief at how insane HeeChul was.

 

TBC