The Line Between Prejudice And Truth 37th + 38th + 39th Day

The Line Between Prejudice And Truth

 

[37 - TUESDAY]

"Appa? Appa?? Appa! ...Appa!" A voice sobbed next to SiWon. He needed a few seconds to realized it was Chin-Sun and not only the rain outside on the window and SiWon's eyes flew open immediately. He lifted his head up, turned the lamp next to him on and looked at her.

"Hey, hey, don't cry, Chin-Sun. I'm here. Your Appa is at work. He'll come soon. Don't cry," SiWon whispered to her and pulled her into his arms, embracing her carefully.

"SiWon?" she asked, clearly surprised about him being there and SiWon chuckled. "Yes, it's me. Your Appa is at work. He'll come soon," SiWon repeated with his soft voice.

The little girl cuddled up to him as close as possible, still slightly trembling.

"Don't cry anymore, Chin-Sunnie. He'll come in...," SiWon turned his head to look at the clock on the wall. It was 3 am at night. "Where is he? It's in the middle of the night, he should have been back already. Didn't they let him back in? Has he called?" SiWon wondered loudly and reached for his phone to look at the screen. No missed calls, HeeChul hadn't called.

"Where's Appa? SiWon, where's Appa?" Chin-Sun repeated and her eyes got teary again.

"Shh, should I call him? I'll call him, alright? Don't cry, Chin-Sun. Are you feeling better?" SiWon asked her to take her attention away from HeeChul.

She just nodded briefly. "Yes."

SiWon smiled at her while he dialed HeeChul's number. He waited for HeeChul to pick up but probably he was already sleeping and just forgot to call.

SiWon didn't expect HeeChul to answer, so he was even more surprised when he heard a tired. "Yes? SiWon?"

"HeeChul, have you been asleep? I'm sorry for waking you up," SiWon immediately apologized and waited for HeeChul to speak again.

"It's fine. I wasn't sleeping. I'm going home right now. Work...they needed me a little longer there," HeeChul told him.

"Are you alright?" SiWon asked in concern. He could tell from HeeChul's voice that something was up. Was he hurt? His voice sounded like he was in pain. Or maybe he was just cold from being outside at this hour in the middle of the night? It was raining after all. Or was it something completly different?

"Yeah, I'm fine. How's Chin-Sunnie? Is she fine?" HeeChul asked with worry in his voice even though he trusted SiWon more than the others.

"She's fine but she's missing you. That's why I called. She woke me up because she was sobbing and calling you," SiWon told him. "I'll give my phone to her now," he added and handed the little girl in his arms his phone.

"It's your Appa," SiWon said to Chin-Sun and she smiled. "Appa?" SiWon heard her saying into the phone and her mood changed to a way more happier as she was talking to HeeChul on the phone.

SiWon was just there, holding her instead of HeeChul and taking care of her as good as possible.

"Appa wants to talk to his husband," Chin-Sun suddenly announced and SiWon rolled his eyes. Whatever HeeChul had told her, SiWon was sure, he certainly hadn't called him 'his husband'. Chin-Sun just didn't stop calling them husband and wife but somehow it was cute, SiWon thought as he took the phone into his hand, pressing Chin-Sun to his chest with his other hand.

"Yes?" he said and waited for HeeChul to speak up.

"SiWon, I can't come now anymore. It's too late. I'm sorry that you have to sleep there. You haven't even anything with you, have you? At least you won't have to go to school later, hm? Thanks so much, SiWon. I'll come as soon as the sun rises, okay? I'm sorry," HeeChul said but SiWon just smiled. "Don't be so worried. I think, Chin-Sun is quiet fine here with only me. I take good care of her. You've to rest proparly, Chullie. I'll wait for you, but take your time. See you," SiWon said into his phone and wanted to hang up but then he heard HeeChul's quiet whisper. "I miss you, SiWon." His voice seemed so sad, probably because he was missing SiWon that much but SiWon hadn't expected HeeChul to tell him this just like that. Still he replied with a small proud smile playing on his lips. "Me, too. Bye." And now he hung up.

SiWon put his phone back on the table next to him and looked down at the girl in his arms, breathing evenly.

"Are you sleeping, Chin-Sunnie?" SiWon asked and when he got no response, he laid her down on her bed again, putting the blanket over her, kissing her forehead gently. He felt like he was her father. He felt proud. It was almost like his own little family.

Then SiWon fell asleep once again.

---

SiWon woke up due to a soft knock on the door. Someone entered the room.

SiWon looked around in confusion. He was still too sleepy to register that there was actually someone in their room.

"SiWon, are you awake?" HeeChul asked and SiWon rubbed his eyes, yawning and eventually looking up to see HeeChul in front of him.

He smiled. "Chin-Sun is still sleeping, right?" HeeChul asked and looked at his daughter. SiWon nodded.

"I'll come back later, SiWon. I've to talk to a doctor first," HeeChul announced and before SiWon could say anything, HeeChul was already gone.

SiWon nodded to himself while he looked at Chin-Sun. HeeChul still had to talk to the doctor to be told what they thought about Chin-Sun and why she had been so sick yesterday.

SiWon decided to call his parents in the meantime to tell them that he won't go to school today.

---

When HeeChul came back, SiWon heard him sigh in relief. SiWon smiled. "So, what has the doctor said? What was wrong with Chin-Sun?" he asked silently because HeeChul's daughter was still sleeping.

HeeChul's eyes slowly wandered through the whole room without actual direction, before he eventually stuttered. "She's fine, they say. They don't know much more though," he told him with a small smile and SiWon smiled back.

That moment, a doctor entered the room. "Good morning Mister Kim. Good morning to you, too, Sir," the doctor said towards SiWon as well and shook their hands.

"I'm here to talk about your daughter. I think you don't know yet, right?" the doctor asked and HeeChul nodded with a small smile.

SiWon turned his gaze towards HeeChul immediately. Hadn't he been there talking with the doctor already? Wasn't that the reason he had been away? But SiWon didn't say anything and instead asked if he should leave the room now. "I go home then, okay?"

HeeChul shrugged and SiWon smiled at him and left. He wanted to ask HeeChul later on. Hadn't they agreed to not lie anymore?

---

"Hello Umma, Appa," SiWon exclaimed when he entered the house. His mother came to him from the kitchen and hugged him. "Have you slept well there? Your Appa has already left for work," she told him and SiWon nodded. "Oh, okay. And yes, I slept well but not long at all. Have you called my school to excuse me for today?" SiWon asked and his mother nodded.

"Thanks," SiWon said. "Can I go to my room and sleep a few hours? I'm so tired," he explained and his mother nodded while she had put an arm around him. "Alright, SiWon. Then rest a little," she said and turned around to leave for the kitchen again.

SiWon thanked her and went to his room. He fell on his bed and soon he was already asleep.

---

When SiWon woke up, he realized it was 11 pm. He groaned and sat up to look at his phone. Maybe HeeChul or one of his friends had called and SiWon hadn't heard it. But his phone wasn't on his table. He stuck his hand into his pockets of his pants because he probably had just forgotten to take it out but it wasn't there.

", have I forgotten my phone in the hospital? Probably on the small table there."

SiWon cursed silently. He could only hope that HeeChul would have taken it with him but he couldn't tell him to. He had neither his cell phone number nor any other except of the one for HeeChul's home but that wouldn't help much because HeeChul was surely still in the hospital.

SiWon sighed and eventually he fell asleep once again.

---[38 - WEDNESDAY]

SiWon hurried to school the next day, so maybe one of his friends knew HeeChul's cell phone number and could tell him.

But first he had to greet his friends with a hug for each and then explain to them why he hadn't been in school on Tuesday. It took him so long that the teacher arrived before SiWon was able to ask for HeeChul's number.

He sighed and decided he couldn't wait anymore, so he whispered to KyuHyun next to him. "Kyu, do you have HeeChul's phone number? I forgot my phone in the hospital," he told him but KyuHyun shook his head. "I don't think you'll be successful if you ask me or anyone else here. You know how everyone is still thinking about him and you know our opinion as well. We accept him because of you. Because you're happy with him but that's all. It doesn't matter what you tell everyone, it won't change anything anyway," KyuHyun said with a shrug and SiWon sighed.

"I know," he murmured and turned away to look at the teacher. He definitely had to visit HeeChul after school but then he remembered that he had to tell his mother first and he couldn't do that without his phone. He had to go home first.

---

It was lunch break when RyeoWook looked at SiWon with a sigh and a small smile. "Uhm, SiWon, do you go to the hospital today, too?" he asked.

SiWon looked confused. "Why are you asking? But yes."

"Well, I go with you then. Do you go directly after school is over?" he asked and now SiWon understood. RyeoWook's mother was still there in the hospital as well.

"I have to go home to tell my mother first but then I'll go soon, afterwards. Is that okay for you? Do you want to go with me then after school's over?" SiWon asked and RyeoWook nodded gratefully.

---

So after school, RyeoWook accompanied SiWon home to tell his mother they would go to the hospital.

"Alright, SiWon. Take care, you two. God bless you," she said before SiWon and RyeoWook left again and headed to the hospital.

"So you go to your mother then?" SiWon asked him just to have something to talk about because he didn't want to go in silence anymore.

RyeoWook nodded. "Yeah. And you'll go to HeeChul?"

"Yes," SiWon answered.

"So you and him, you are together again, right?" RyeoWook looked at him with a somewhat knowing smile and SiWon nodded slowly, not sure if that meant that RyeoWook knew it anyway or not.

"Hae had talked with him on Monday after school. I think he had been in the hospital just to do so," RyeoWook told him. "Did you knew?" he asked and SiWon looked at him in surprise and disbelief. "No way. Seriously? So he convinced HeeChul to take me back? I didn't know!"

RyeoWook smiled. "Yeah, I think so. That was the reason he went there."

"Oh, Wookie, thanks for telling me. I've to thank Hae!" SiWon decided immediately.

RyeoWook chuckled. "Don't worry. As long as you're happy, it'll be okay," he stated with a shrug and a smile and SiWon smiled as well.

"So you're happy with him?" RyeoWook asked and SiWon was almost nodding already but then he remembered what had happened yesterday. HeeChul had probably lied to him once more. So how should that end up when they only lied to each other? He didn't want that kind of relationship. So was he really happy with him? "Yes, I am," SiWon answered. He didn't want to make all the help of his friends useless. He wanted to talk with HeeChul first. Maybe there was a simple explanation for everything. At least SiWon hoped there was.

RyeoWook raised an eyebrow because SiWon had needed quiet long to answer such an easy question but he didn't comment it.

---

"See you later. I hope I can call you when we go, okay?" SiWon said with a smile and turned in the other direction to HeeChul's and Chin-Sun's room.

SiWon reached the room and knocked on the door. He opened it and entered the room.

"So, Mister Kim, your test results are negative. You're fine. And Chin-Sun is better, too, right, little girl?" SiWon heard the doctor ask and SiWon raised an eyebrow.

"Hello. Uhm, should I wait outside?" he asked them but the doctor shook his head, smiling. "No need to. I'll go now. So you can check out and come back on Saturday afternoon, alright?" he turned briefly towards HeeChul to see him nodding and then he left.

SiWon stood there with wonder and confusion clearly visible in his face.

HeeChul laid Chin-Sun who had been sitting on his lap, down on her bed. He looked down with guilt and fear in his eyes.

"Can we talk?" SiWon asked. HeeChul nodded, stood up, said to his daughter he would be back soon and she should sleep and then he followed SiWon. He already knew about what SiWon wanted to talk and sighed. He had to tell him. If he lied now, their relationship would break apart.

SiWon sighed silently as well. "Should we go to the park?" he asked and HeeChul nodded.

"Yes. SiWon before you say something else, I want to tell you something," HeeChul announced and SiWon was quite suprised about that but nodded nonetheless.

They arrived at the park and SiWon looked at HeeChul with concern and curiosity.

Finally HeeChul opened his mouth to speak. "I quit working in the bar. You probably wonder what the doctor was talking about and why I've been to the doctor yesterday when I arrived in the morning, right?"

SiWon just nodded without a word and HeeChul continued. "You know already that I went home that night before at three or something, right? It was because one of the customers...he thought I'd be just like everyone else who's working there. He dragged me with him to one of the rooms there..." The last sentence was a silent whisper and now SiWon understood. His eyes widened. He wanted to say something but he was too shocked and HeeChul continued already after he swallowed hard. "I went to the doctor to check if I'm pregnant. I'm not. I won't go to work there anymore. I promise. SiWon, I'm sorry. I didn't want it that way. I'm sorry," he murmured quietly but SiWon sighed, a mix of sadness due to that what had happened to HeeChul but also of relief that everything was okay as far as he could see now.

SiWon embraced HeeChul tightly. He pressed the other's head against his chest and whispered into his ear. "Stay with me from now on. I don't want anything bad like that to happen to you again. Are you alright now? Had he hurt you?"

HeeChul pressed his head even closer to SiWon and murmured against the other's shirt. "I'm fine. Thanks, SiWon. Thanks that you don't leave me for that. Thanks, I will stay by your side. I promise."

---

Later, SiWon called RyeoWook with his phone. HeeChul had taken it with him to give it to SiWon then. Soon RyeoWook left the hospital with SiWon, HeeChul and Chin-Sun together.

---[39 - THURSDAY]

SiWon was quiet surprised on the next day when he saw HeeChul sitting in class. He actually thought the other would stay at home to take care of Chin-Sun.

After SiWon had hugged everyone, he went to DongHae and hugged him once again as tight as possible. "Thank you so so so much, Hae," SiWon exclaimed happily.

"Uh, SiWonnie. Let. Go. I can't. Breathe," DongHae groaned and panted heavily to get air back into his lungs.

"Thanks again for talking with HeeChul. Thanks," SiWon said with a bright smile. DongHae grinned satisfied with himself to know that he had helped SiWon to be that happy.

"I'm relieved that everything's okay between you two. As long as you're happy, I'm happy as well," DongHae announced, laughing along with their friends.

---

It was lunch break and LeeTeuk couldn't stop himself from laughing at SiWon.

"What? Why are you laughing?" SiWon asked him, rolling his eyes annoyed.

"Finally, SiWonnie, finally," LeeTeuk stated, making SiWon only confused.

"Finally...what?" he wanted to know.

Only now, YeSung started to laugh just like LeeTeuk did before.

"And what's wrong with you?" SiWon asked, raising his eyebrows and wondering what was their reason why they were laughing.

"Yes, Teukkie, yes. Finally SiWon managed to stop staring at his boyfriend and look at us while talking," YeSung stated and everyone started to laugh even more while SiWon blushed.

"You're mean," he whined and pouted.

"Oh, SiWonnie, you should watch yourself. So funny how you stare at him all the time," KyuHyun told him and SiWon rolled his eyes in annoyance. "Should I go and leave you here? I've no problem going over to HeeChul and sitting with him," SiWon declared and stood up.

"Is he angry now?" he heard SungMin whisper at KyuHyun who shook his head, still smirking. "Alright, SiWonnie. Don't go. Stay with us. But if you want to...,you can go and...bring him with you to sit with us here," KyuHyun allowed him and SiWon's expression changed from annoyance to shock and then to happiness.

"Yes, thank you!" he exclaimed and ran off to the table where HeeChul was sitting by himself like always.

"Hey, Chullie," SiWon greeted him, pulling him up to stand next to him, and hugged him tightly.

"Ngh, SiWon, let go," HeeChul managed to say while trying to push him away.

SiWon listened to him and let go but he was still smiling happily.

"What's wrong with you? I thought we decided not to talk to each other in school," HeeChul said and looked at him in confusion.

SiWon grinnned even more. "No, not anymore. Come to sit with me and my friends," he suggested and tried to pull HeeChul with him but the other one was leaning back and didn't take one step in the direction of SiWon's friends. "No. SiWon, I don't want to," he announced and freed his wrist from SiWon'S grip.

"Why?" SiWon asked. He was hurt that HeeChul refused to come with him but he didn't want to say it out loud. He still remembered that HeeChul needed time and SiWon had promised himself that he would give HeeChul that time he needed.

"I don't want to," HeeChul murmured and sat down again to continue to eat.

SiWon sighed in defeat. He couldn't force HeeChul to anything. "By the way, what's with your daugther? Did you leave her alone at home by herself?"

HeeChul smiled. "No, of course not. My uncle has a free day today."

"Oh, okay. Hey, HeeChul, I've an idea," SiWon announced with his soft voice and a smile playing on his lips.

"So? What idea?" HeeChul asked and looked up at him.

"Because you won't come with me to my friends now, you've to come home with me. I invite you for dinner today, okay? You have to agree or else you've to come to my friends now," SiWon declared and HeeChul chuckled. "Fine, I'll come with you after school."

SiWon grinned and left HeeChul to return to his friends who looked at him questioningly but SiWon didn't mind them. His heart was beating fast because he was excited to bring HeeChul with him home. He was nervous about how his mother would react but sooner or later these two had to meet again, so why not now, SiWon thought.

---

"So, then let's go," SiWon said and waved goodbye at his friends before he went off with HeeChul. He was happy that everything had changed so much. He didn't have to hide his feelings for HeeChul any longer. Finally his friends seemed to fully understand and support him and it made SiWon even more happy.

"SiWonnie, are you sure that your parents won't mind?" HeeChul asked and looked up at SiWon with uncertainity.

SiWon smiled encouragingly and took HeeChul's hand in his. He squeezed it briefly but didn't let go. HeeChul was quiet surprised but didn't complain.

"My father is at work and my mother told me she wouldn't mind," SiWon assured him. Actually she wanted to have Chin-Sun with HeeChul as she had told SiWon but that wouldn't matter that much, right?

"Hm...okay. I trust you, SiWonnie," HeeChul said quietly. "By the way, I've got a new job now. I'm working with my uncle now," HeeChul announced and SiWon almost stopped walking to glare at HeeChul in shock but forced himself to relax enough and continue to walk.

"Wh-Why?" he asked unsure if he wanted to know the answer after all.

But HeeChul smiled. "Don't worry. Just the bar there and my uncle will take good care of me. Don't look at me like that," he pleaded with a pout and SiWon couldn't help but smile. His expression softened and he sighed. "You know, I'm just worried because...you know," he murmured and looked down to the ground.

"Do you have a job already?" HeeChul asked him suddenly with a smile.

"No, I don't," SiWon answered and looked up once again.

HeeChul smiled even more. "Perfect. My uncle suggested to give my boyfriend, meaning you, and me work there, hm? We could both work only at the bar, hm? It's just like a dance club there, the rooms are up in the second floor, so you won't see anything except of people dancing and drinking. What do you think?" HeeChul asked and looked at SiWon.

SiWon thought for a while before he eventually nodded with a smile. "At least I can make sure that nothing will happen to you again, Chullie," he stated and agreed.

HeeChul smiled so happily then and even closed the distance between SiWon and him to kiss him on the cheek.

SiWon was quite surprised about it but enjoyed his soft lips on his skin anyway.

---

SiWon opened the front door of his house and called his mother. He didn't get an answer and so he went to the kitchen to look for her there because she should have been prepared dinner now.

SiWon's mother wasn't there. SiWon couldn't find her.

"Umma?" he looked around in confusion.

"She isn't there," HeeChul stated and SiWon nodded. He saw a note on the kitchen and took it in his hand to read.

The doctor called. Your grandpa isn't well. I'm at the hospital. -Umma.

"Grandfather?" SiWon murmured and before HeeChul could ask why SiWon was looking worried, the phone rang.

SiWon answered it. "Hello?"

"SiWon, it's me," his mother said and SiWon stopped moving to be as quiet as possible as if that would help him understand her and what had happened earlier better.

"SiWon, your grandfather's dead," she eventually told him with a sigh. Her voice was shaking. She seemed to cry.

"Wh-What? B-But...," SiWon stuttered without an idea what he should say.

"I'm in the hospital right now. Are you at home?" she asked and SiWon managed to say a silent "Yes."

"Wait there. I'll come as soon as possible, okay? Make yourself dinner. Bye," she said and hung up before SiWon could say anything else but SiWon supposed it was because she started to cry harder.

"What's wrong?" HeeChul asked in concern at seeing SiWon's shocked face.

"My grandfather died," SiWon just said without any emotion in his voice. He needed some more time to fully realize that he was gone.

"I'm sorry," HeeChul murmured and looked down with big eyes. He seemed almost more in shock than SiWon himself.

"It's...it's okay. He was sick and he knew that he would die soon," SiWon told him with a light shrug. His hands were trembling when he went to the fridge to get something to eat for them but he let it fall down.

HeeChul hurried to his side and supported him before SiWon would fall down to the ground as well. He led him to a chair and helped him to sit down. "I make dinner," HeeChul decided and SiWon couln't disagree.

His eyes followed HeeChul's body, cooking something for them both and bringing it to the table afterwards.

He gave SiWon his plate but SiWon needed some time to register it before he started to eat.

HeeChul eyed him carefully, encouraging him that he had to eat something and he should calm down but actually HeeChul didn't know how he should have reacted right.

SiWon swallowed his last bit and stood up to tidy up the kitchen and bring his plate away to clean it.

"Wait, SiWon," he heard HeeChul say and he took his plate away before he led him to sit down on his chair once again while HeeChul took care of him and tidied up.

"HeeChul, he's gone. I loved him. He's just gone," SiWon murmured. He still couldn't believe it.

HeeChul came towards him and hugged him. "He isn't. He'll always stay here in your heart and watch you from up there in heaven," HeeChul told him and laid his hand on SiWon's chest first and then pointed up to the ceiling.

It seemed to help a little because when SiWon was feeling HeeChul's warm arms around him, he relaxed a little.

After a few minutes, HeeChul let go of him and returned to tidy up the kitchen. He obviously was responsible for the household at his home as well.

It rang on the door and HeeChul told SiWon to stay sitting in his chair while HeeChul would open the door.

SiWon nodded without saying anything and a few seconds later, his mother was around him, hugging him tightly.

HeeChul continued his work. He wanted to finish it at least before he left because it wasn't much anymore.

"SiWon, Mrs Choi, I'm leaving. I'm sorry for what had happened," HeeChul said and finally SiWon snapped out of his own world. He struggled to get out of his mother's embrace and ran after HeeChul. He hugged him from behind. "Don't go," he pleaded as if something bad happened to HeeChul when he would go out of this house now.

HeeChul was quick enough to realize that he really should stay and comfort SiWon a little longer, so he turned around in the embrace and hugged SiWon back.

"SiWonnie, everything will be fine again," HeeChul whispered silently even though he knew that that wasn't a good excuse to say because his grandfather wouldn't come back after all.

"Stay with me here," SiWon begged and HeeChul sighed. "I'll stay, SiWon, okay? I won't go," he told him and it helped SiWon to loosen the grip on HeeChul, so it was comfortable for both to hug each other.

 

TBC