The Line Between Prejudice And Truth 34th Day

The Line Between Prejudice And Truth

 

[34 - SATURDAY]

SiWon felt still sick but in the last minute he decided to go to school and now he was late when he arrived there.

He wanted to go straight to the class room but two voices stopped him. He recognized HeeChul's voice and the other one was familiar as well.

SiWon stayed ten seconds like this, thinking of what to do and finally convinced himself to go closer to these voices to be able to listen what they were saying because SiWon was curious. He had missed HeeChul so much and he wanted to listen to his voice again.

SiWon wanted to go around the next corner but when he did the first step, he realized that the two students were standing just a few metres away from there in the hallway, so he was quick to hide around the corner he came from once again. Nonetheless, in that short time, SiWon had recognized the second person. It was SungMin.

"HeeChul, I just want to help. You know I wouldn't talk with you if it didn't was for both your happiness," SiWon heard SungMin talking in a hush.

"He told me already, he didn't love me. It doesn't matter if it is because of the bet or whatever he was saying or due to his parents," HeeChul answered back.

SiWon didn't know if SungMin realized it but in HeeChul's voice, SiWon thought, he heard sadness and hurt.

"I know you are hurt. I know it, HeeChul. But SiWon's hurting as well," SungMin said and SiWon got angry. Why had he told that to HeeChul?

"So what am I supposed to do? We can't get back together. Even if I would forgive him and would want him back, there were still his parents after all and I can't live this as a secret. It's like living a lie, and I really can't do that. It's over. SungMin, you have to understand that. I already did," HeeChul explained and SiWon felt tears tickling in his eyes. So HeeChul had given him up already? He had forgotten him? Still SiWon forced a small smile. That was what he had wanted after all.

SiWon heard SungMin sigh. "Do you know why you are thinking like that? Why you have given up already? It's because what had happened in your life before," he stated and SiWon even felt HeeChul becoming angry. "What do you even know? Nothing."

"Yes, I don't know anything about you, but I know your life was hard. I know you suffered a lot and you lost a lot and hurt a lot and that's exactly the reason why you're giving up now. You think you have no strength to fight anymore, but you're wrong. If you love SiWon, you would fight for him," SungMin announced, making SiWon smile slightly.

"...Yes..., but I can't. He told me to leave him alone. I don't want to bother him anymore," HeeChul admitted and SiWon's heart was sinking. He wanted HeeChul back but what should he do? How should he do that? Should he agree if he would ask him to come back? SiWon couldn't find any answers.

"HeeChul, he still loves you," SungMin said calmly but this time HeeChul showed his anger. "I ing don't care. I'm going to class now," he announced and SiWon heard SungMin trying to convince the other to stay longer. SiWon used that time to knock and enter the class room quickly, hoping that the other two wouldn't come too soon.

He apologized to the teacher who clearly wasn't pleased with him being that late. "Fine, you'll make up for it and stay after school," he declared and SiWon nodded with a quiet sigh.

"Where have you been yesterday and before you came in?" KyuHyun asked with a mix of concern and curiosity as soon as SiWon sat down next to him.

"I was sick." SiWon answered only to the first question, hoping that KyuHyun would just take it but even SiWon knew better than that.

"And before the lesson today?" he wanted to know.

SiWon considered to lie for a second. "I overslept," he finally answered simply and KyuHyun nodded. Now he was satisfied enough with that reply.

A few minutes later, HeeChul entered the room, immediately apologizing but it didn't help because the teacher told him to stay after school for detention as well.

A couple more minutes after that, SungMin finally came in. He was told the same thing and by now the teacher slowly got angry. "How many else also want to come too late for class today?" he asked out loud. The students chuckled silently only those who already had to stay after school, didn't find it amusing.

---

For SiWon, lunch break passed by quickly just like the rest of the day. It seemed as if the world was passing by but he couldn't move. He couldn't run with it.

"So why have you two been sick yesterday?" YeSung asked and looked back and forth between RyeoWook and SiWon.

RyeoWook who had stayed at home for the last two days and rolled his eyes. "Good question, YeSung. Why was I sick? Let me think...Maybe because I can't choose to be healthy or sick? Damn, YeSung, why should I know why I was sick?" RyeoWook asked laughing and SiWon and the other's laughed along with him.

This time it was YeSung who rolled his eyes. "I just wanted to be nice and I wanted to know what you had that you had to stay at home."

"Caught a cold," RyeoWook answered shortly and shrugged and SiWon nodded with him.

"You, too, SiWon?" DongHae asked surprised and SiWon shrugged like RyeoWook before. "Yeah, I guess I was just tired. My whole body had hurt and I hadn't slept well. I just felt sick," he explained and smiled.

SungMin had to grin. "Lovesick, right?"

Everyone laughed and SiWon couldn't help but blush slightly. "No!" he exclaimed.

"However, you can tell me later about your lovesickness in detention. For now, we have to go back to class," SungMin announced with a smirk.

---

The last lesson was over and SiWon watched how the students one by one left the class room.

"So, SiWon. Wish you a nice weekend. Be nice to everyone and tell SungMin not too much. He's almost as bad as YeSung with keeping secrets to himself. At least with me," KyuHyun told him with a wink and left the room as well.

"Yeah...," SiWon murmured, shaking his head.

SungMin came to him to sit on KyuHyun's seat to talk to SiWon.

", Min, my mother will kill me when I come home late, and this will obviously lead to me being late. And I can't even tell her I had to stay in school longer than usually because then she would kill me twice!" SiWon looked at SungMin for help, but the latter only patted SiWon's back.

"Then you could at least use this hour to something other than worry about your troubles, hm?" SungMin suggested with his typical sweet smile.

"And that would be what?" SiWon asked, already suspecting something bad.

SungMin chuckled. He could obviously read SiWon's mind because he added: "Don't worry, I said. It won't be anything bad," he assured him.

"Yeah...." SiWon rolled his eyes once again. "So what is it?" he eventually asked when curiosity took the better of him.

"We could talk. With HeeChul," SungMin suggested and nodded his head towards said person that was still sitting at his place, looking out of the window.

SiWon remembered when he first came to this class. HeeChul had been like this back then.

SiWon's heart shattered seeing him again like this. He had been happy. SiWon had made him happy and now SiWon had taken HeeChul's happiness away once again.

SiWon didn't realize he was staring at HeeChul until SungMin told him so. "So is it a yes? Great. And don't be worried. I don't exactly want you two being together again. I just want you to talk again," he explained.

SiWon sighed while he was pulled from his friend towards HeeChul. SungMin pressed him down on the chair in front of HeeChul. SiWon's gaze travelled up to HeeChul's face. Being that close made SiWon really nervous. "You stay with me," he demanded silently and Sungmin nodded smiling.

"Hi HeeChul," SungMin started because it was obvious that SiWon wasn't and HeeChul had kept ignoring them.

At least now he was looking towards them. "Hm?"

SungMin was smiling slightly while SiWon looked away, avoiding the other's gaze.

"So, bad that we're sitting here now, right?" SungMin stated and HeeChul agreed with a silent yes. He was clearly busy with other thoughts in his mind.

"About what are you worrying?" SungMin asked in concern because SiWon still kept his mouth closed.

HeeChul hesitated briefly, unsure whether he should say it or not.

SiWon finally looked up to HeeChul with worry and maybe it was exactly that, that made HeeChul talk.

"My daughter....She's still in kindergarten and the kindergarten is closing now. I can't even tell my uncle to pick her up because he's at work as well as my father. He's still in the south," HeeChul explained and SiWon felt bad. After all, HeeChul hadn't deserved to stay longer.

The teacher entered the class room. "So, then let's start the detention, should we?" He seemed to be overly happy about them staying longer.

HeeChul swallowed and raised his hand. "Sir, can I go now, please? I've to take care of my daughter. I've to pick her up from kindergarten. It's closing in a few minutes," he told him but the teacher just looked at him with raised eyebrows. "Is there no one else?" he asked with a sigh and HeeChul shook his head with pleading eyes.

The teacher thought about it and eventually nodded. "Fine. Because you are all pretty good in school actually and the weather is too hot for me to sit here for the whole afternoon, we won't stay here," he announced and HeeChul, SungMin and SiWon smiled happily. "Seriously? We can go now?" SungMin asked in excitement but the teacher laughed. "I haven't said that. I only said we won't stay in here," he explained and continued while the three students were listening carefully. "I suppose your child is in the kindergarten near the mall, right? So then we'll go there and pick HeeChul's daughter up and then I decide what to do next," the teacher said and HeeChul nodded with a relieved smile. "Thank you, Sir," he said and bowed.

SiWon smiled as well. He was relieved as well that they had found a solution.

So the four of them took their bags and left the school building, heading for the kindergarten.

"I never thought, he would do things like that with us," SungMin whispered to SiWon, meaning the teacher and SiWon nodded. "Yes, I also didn't know."

They arrived at the kindergarten and waited for HeeChul's daughter to come out. SiWon didn't speak to HeeChul one more word.

Finally, Chin-Sun ran out of the building, looking around until she noticed her Appa standing there and then she ran towards him, letting HeeChul catch her in his arms and lift her up. He embraced her and kissed her cheek. "I'm sorry for being late, my little Chin-Sunnie baby," he said and she chuckled. "It's okay, Appa. But who are they?" she asked, pointing at the other three. "I only now your husband," she told him and SiWon and HeeChul both blushed. "Uhm...Chin-Sun, princess, he's not...my husband. Please stop it. Call him...SiWon," HeeChul told her with hesitation and eventually looked at said person in uncertainity. SiWon nodded slowly to show HeeChul it was okay what he was saying.

"And that are my teacher, Mister Park, and my class mate, SungMin," HeeChul said to his daughter. She nodded and laughed happily.

"So that's my daughter, Chin-Sun," HeeChul told the other's with a small smile. The teacher and SungMin returned it and observed the little girl.

"Are we going to Grandma now, Appa?" Chin-Sun asked suddenly and turned his eyes away from the strangers to HeeChul.

SiWon knew HeeChul felt more and more uneasy.

"N-No, we'll go later, okay? Remember, she's always there waiting for us," HeeChul told her. "So it won't really matter if we go now or in an hour, alright? She'll always be with you," he added with a smile and Chin-Sun nodded.

SiWon finally tried to lock his eyes with HeeChul's to find out if he was alright because SiWon knew that HeeChul's mother was dead and they probably had planed to visit her grave.

He even managed to meet HeeChul's eyes. SiWon smiled slightly, uncertain what HeeChul was feeling now but after a short hesitation, HeeChul smiled back and somehow SiWon's heart started to beat faster. He cursed his heart which still had these deep feelings for the other one. But of course he couldn't help how he was feeling.

"Why don't we go to this café?" the teacher suggested and pointed at SungMin's and SiWon's favourite place in town, so of course they immediately agreed.

They went into the building and sat down on a free table. SungMin was quick enough to sit down next to their teacher, so that SiWon had to sit next to HeeChul whose daughter sat on his lap. A waiter took their order.

SiWon heard the teacher whisper to SungMin, if SiWon and HeeChul were close with each other. SiWon didn't show them that he was listening when SungMin shrugged with his shoulders. "They were, but not anymore. Although I want them to be," he whispered back. SiWon sighed. How could that happen when neither HeeChul nor him were going to talk, he wondered silently. Although SiWon knew their problem, he still didn't dare to make the first step. He knew HeeChul wouldn't give him another chance. At least they still could be friends, SiWon thought with a small smile of hope.

SiWon's gaze went to the person next to him. Eventually he spoke up. "Are you still mad at me?" he asked without even a reason.

"No. You know I'm almost never angry at someone," HeeChul answered with a shrug and SiWon nodded.

"I'm sorry I lied to you. It was all because of my parents," SiWon finally confessed but HeeChul smiled slightly. "I know it already."

"Do you understand how I felt?" SiWon asked, totally ignoring the teacher and SungMin. He just wanted to finally be able to talk about it and maybe this was the last chance.

HeeChul was still smiling. His expression didn't change one bit when he nodded. "Yes."

"Do you still...love me?" SiWon asked but immediately regretted it. Not even that their teacher now knew that he and HeeChul were gay but also because he was sure that even if HeeChul still did, he wouldn't admit it here in front of the other's.

"No," was HeeChul's cold-hearted answer. SiWon couldn't be mad at him whether it was true or not because he himself had told him to let go of him. It had been SiWon who had broken up.

The waiter brought them their drinks.

Chin-Sun seemed to have been fallen asleep on HeeChul's lap and SungMin and the teacher finally talked as well. They thought it would be better like that as if they would be quiet and listen to the conversation of HeeChul and SiWon. Also SiWon was very surprised about the teacher's attitude and that he was so nice to them. It didn't even felt like detention.

SiWon felt sad. He missed HeeChul. He wanted him back and slowly he really started to regret that he had listened to his parents. He wanted HeeChul back. He was lonely without him because he still loved him so much.

"I think we can go now," the teacher suddenly announced after they had almost finished their drinks.

"Thanks," HeeChul said, stood up, paid and left with his daughter still carrying in his arms.

SiWon did the same. Outside he ran after HeeChul. "Hey, wait, please, HeeChul," he shouted and eventually HeeChul turned around. From SiWon's shouting, HeeChul's daughter had woken up and was currently rubbing the sleep out of her eyes.

"Wait," SiWon repeated, but this time slower and more gentle. "Are you visiting your mother's grave?" he asked and HeeChul nodded.

"Can I come with you?" SiWon asked with pleading eyes.

HeeChul shrugged. "I don't care," he muttered and started to walk again. SiWon hurried up to be able to walk next to him.

HeeChul looked at him, as if he wanted to say something but he needed three full minutes to finally speak. "Don't think you still have a chance with me. I forgive you, but I can't forget. I have told you already that the next time it would be too late," he said and SiWon's head was low when he nodded. "I know. But can we at least be friends?"

HeeChul shrugged once again. "I don't mind. I don't care," he said and SiWon felt uneasy but still happy. "Thanks," he said and they walked the rest of the way in silence.

Eventually after a twenty-minutes walk they reached the graveyard. HeeChul led SiWon to his mother's grave. He knelt down and let Chin-Sun sit as well. SiWon stood there kind of lost. HeeChul was whispering something, probably supposed to be for his mother. Because SiWon didn't want to just stand there, he sank down next to HeeChul and started to pray for his mother.

HeeChul seemed suprised at the beginning but shrugged it off anyway.

"Appa, can I pick some flowers for Grandma?" Chin-Sun asked and pointed to a field nearby where many flowers were. HeeChul agreed because he still could watch over her when she was there and actually he wanted to be alone to talk to his mother and not wanted to be disturped by his daughter.

SiWon ended his prayer and just listened to what HeeChul was murmuring. He did even understand some words although they were so quiet.

"SiWon, I'd like to be friends with you again. I'm sorry, but I never have felt like this. I want to have you as my friend if that is possible," HeeChul announced all of a sudden and turned to him.

SiWon smiled so brightly and happily while he was nodding. "Yes."

SiWon stood up and offered his hand to HeeChul to pull him up to stand again. HeeChul thanked him and took it.

When they were standing, HeeChul wanted to call his daughter, so that she could lay the flowers on the grave but when he looked at the field, Chin-Sun wasn't there anymore.

"Oh God. ! Chin-Sun?! Where are you?" he called out but got no answer back.

". This kid. She's always away when I don't watch her every second," HeeChul cursed silently and ran to the field. His daughter really wasn't there anymore.

"," HeeChul repeated the whole time while he and SiWon ran over the field and graveyard to find Chin-Sun.

They came to the street nearby. "Hopefully, she's not here somewhere. It's dangerous, this street," HeeChul said with worry and looked around.

"Let's ask him," SiWon suggested and pointed to a biker who was kneeling on the pavement, talking on the phone and looking down in his lap.

"What is wrong with him anyway?" HeeChul wondered out loud.

SiWon shrugged but when they came closer, shock was written in their faces when they recognized HeeChul's daughter laying in the stranger's arm. She was bleeding and didn't move.

"chin-Sun?" HeeChul exclaimed and fell down next to the biker who ended his call.

"Do you know her?" he asked and HeeChul nodded. He had already tears in the eyes when the biker carefully gave her to HeeChul. SiWon just stood there and watched them, still in shock.

"She crushed into my bike from the side. I'm sorry. I already called an ambulance," the biker told them.

HeeChul looked at his daughter and then at him. "I'm sorry. Are you hurt somewhere?"

"No, I'm fine. Just some scratches but nothing bad," he declared with a small smile.

The ambulance arrived after three more minutes and all the four of them had to go with them because the biker and Chin-Sun had to be treated due to their wounds, HeeChul was after all Chin-Sun's Appa and SiWon was helping HeeChul to calm down. If he wasn't there, maybe HeeChul would faint as well.

In the hospital, a doctor announced he would have to check Chin-Sun and treat her wounds while HeeChul and SiWon could wait in the waiting room. The biker was led to another room by a nurse.

SiWon watched HeeChul just standing there, helpless. He felt sorry for him. First his mother died and now his daughter was in the hospital.

HeeChul was shaking violently while he was crying. He hid his face in his hands. SiWon couldn't help. He stepped forward and embraced HeeChul gently. With his lips he kissed HeeChul's forhead to comfort him better.

To SiWon's surprise, HeeChul clung onto him and sobbed while he burried his face in SiWon's chest.

"Shhh. She'll be fine. Calm down, she'll be fine," SiWon whispered silently. He didn't know how he could help HeeChul. As far as he knew, HeeChul was okay with his uncle and farther but he was the closest with his mother and his daughter and to lose both of them would break HeeChul.

"She'll be fine," SiWon repeated again, but not only to comfort HeeChul but also to convince himself that Chin-Sun really will be okay.

They sat down on a bench and HeeChul lowered his head in his hands for he was still crying. SiWon who sat next to him, embraced him once again and pulled HeeChul's head against his chest whispering comforting words again.

Half an hour later, a doctor came to them. HeeChul and SiWon looked at him with hope but also fear and worry. The doctor smiled slightly. "She's fine. We've treated her wounds and she's sleeping right now. But she's lucky because her wounds aren't that bad. They'll heal soon. Nonetheless she'll need to stay here for at least two days," the doctor explained and a relieved sigh was heard from both, HeeChul and SiWon.

SiWon smiled at HeeChul who was wiping away his tears. "Thank you, doctor," he murmured silently and smiled as well.

"Can I go to her?" HeeChul asked and the doctor nodded before he left.

"Thank you, SiWon. I-I...," HeeChul looked at him, biting on his lower lip and SiWon chuckled. "No need to thank me. We agreed to stay friends after all," he said and HeeChul stood up and offered his hand for SiWon to take and pull him up.

SiWon took it and smiled. His heart felt warm.

"SiWon?!" A voice suddenly asked furiously and SiWon froze in his place. Slowly he turned around and let go of HeeChul's hand.

"U-Umma?" he asked silently, still in shock. HeeChul stared at her with fear and worry for SiWon.

"I can't believe it. What are you doing here? I-" She started while she ran towards SiWon with an angry face.

"Umma, please, not here," SiWon pleaded. "Where then, hm? I can't even let you go to school. Look where I find you!" she almost screamed and a nurse who was near them told them to be quiet.

"HeeChul?" Another voice suddenly asked while SiWon stared at his mother.

HeeChul turned around and saw RyeoWook coming towards them as well. "SiWon?" he asked and looked at the two students and SiWon's mother in confusion. "Why are you here?" RyeoWook asked.

HeeChul only sighed.

"And what's with them?" RyeoWook asked HeeChul who lowered his head.

Instead of him or SiWon, SiWon's mother spoke to RyeoWook. "I saw them being together again. They were holding hands even though I didn't allow them being like...that. It's disgusting. And I told SiWon to come home immediately after school," she explained but it was clearly directed at her own son.

RyeoWook realized that it was SiWon's mother and because SiWon couldn't fight against his mother and HeeChul was obviously helpless against her as well, RyeoWook talked. "He was on his way home. He had to stay longer in school. But then...what had even happened?" RyeoWook asked HeeChul and SiWon.

HeeChul who had looked up briefly, looked to the ground once again, so SiWon had to answer. "HeeChul's daughter had an accident," he explained silently.

"I better go to her now," HeeChul announced and escaped to the room, his daughter was in.

"Mrs Choi, I think, you shouldn't judge SiWon. It certainly wasn't SiWon's fault with the accident and so it was his responsibility to help HeeChul and his daughter," RyeoWook told the woman but that only caused SiWon's mother to glare at SiWon in anger. "Don't tell me how I should treat my son. I treat him right, so he could at least be thankful. So how does he dare to be gay with that worthless person although I already forbid him not to talk to him again?" SiWon's mother said out furiously.

SiWon felt like crying. He hated this but couldn't do anything against her.

RyeoWook was shocked. "What? But can't you think of SiWon's happiness? He loves him and I know God won't allow you to be gay but he also wants everyone to be happy. So isn't SiWon's happiness more important?" RyeoWook asked and SiWon glared at him. "Stop it," he hissed silently. Tears were almost ready to fall down his cheek.

"SiWon, what are you thinking about it, hm?" SiWon's mother asked her son.

SiWon wasn't sure if he should tell the truth, but nonetheless he did in the end because HeeChul had deserved that SiWon would finally fight for him. "I-I already told you and Appa, that I-I love him. I'm sorry, Umma," SiWon admitted silently and his mother stared at him but SiWon looked down. "SiWon, we'll go home. Now," his mother said and SiWon said goodbye to RyeoWook who was smiling encouragingly, hoping that everything will be fine again.

On their way home, SiWon wondered why his mother had been there in the hospital anyway. "Umma?" he started eventually and she looked at him with a stern expression. She was still mad at him.

"Why have you been in the hospital?" he dared to ask and all of a sudden, her expression changed from angry to sad and serious. "You're grandfather is there. He collapsed this morning. You know, he's very sick," she told him and SiWon's face went pale. He actually was really close to his grandfather. He and the new job of his father were the reasons he had moved to this town after all. "How is he now, Umma? Why did he even collapse? Umma, what had happened?" SiWon asked her in concern and she smiled slightly. "He's better now, but he'll have to stay at least until tomorrow," she stated and SiWon nodded.

"But what I wanted to talk about with you...," his mother began again after a few minutes of silent walking.

SiWon sighed. He guessed she wanted to talk about him and HeeChul and he was right.

"SiWon, you know, me and your Appa really do love you more than anything, right?" she asked and SiWon looked at her with a smile. "Yes, I know, Umma."

"And you also know that we just want you to be happy?" she asked again and SiWon nodded once more. "Yes, Umma. I know that, too" he replied.

"So...are you really serious with...with that...guy?" she asked him, hesitating briefly.

SiWon sighed but nodded with his head down. "Yes, Umma. I finally fell in love. I'm sure with this," SiWon admitted but not dared to look up at her face.

"But he's bad. He has a daughter. He's a boy. It's just not right," she tried to convince her son and SiWon who had had hope for a moment before, knew now that she still didn''t want to accept his love.

"Umma, I never was more serious with anything in my whole life. I...I love him. And...with his daughter...it's not his fault that he has her," SiWon told her and she looked at him in confusion.

SiWon looked up at her. She expected an exlanation but SiWon knew he couldn't just tell her about it because HeeChul probably didn't want it.

"I can't tell you the truth. For that you still have to ask him," SiWon stated and this time it was her who sighed. His eyes meeting the ground once again.

"Alright, SiWon. I don't want you to be unhappy. I know, God still wants us all to be happy as well and that's more important than what person someone's loving, so...I give you a chance with...him. Maybe you can work it out fine with him, but if not, I swear, you won't be allowed to date any other man ever again."

SiWon lifted his head up in surprise and his eyes were sparkling. "Really now?" he asked with big eyes.

His mother was smiling. "Don't think, I'll prefer you with boys now, but his daughter is really cute, so if he's at our home, you've to make sure she'll be there, too," she explained laughing and SiWon's expression brightened up so much with a big smile.

"Thank you, Umma. I love you!" SiWon exclaimed and his mother laughed, proud of herself when her son hugged her thankfully.

SiWon was so totally happy when they reached their home that he immediately wanted to call HeeChul to tell him. But then he remembered that HeeChul had told him there was no chance for him to expect anything more than friends. And HeeChul was probably still in the hospital with his daughter.

So SiWon just lay down on his bed. He loved his parents so much but he couldn't help but blame them for being away from HeeChul and that there was no chance in getting back together as lovers once again. After all it was them who forced SiWon to break up with HeeChul. He regretted everything so much and he really hoped that he would be able to talk to HeeChul into being his boyfriend once again but he didn't want to pressure him, so first he wanted his daughter to get better again. Because only when Chin-Sun would be fine again, HeeChul would be able to worry about other things like SiWon. But for now, HeeChul surely wasn't even thinking about him anyway.

 

TBC