Duet

25 Days Of Falling In Love
December 9, 2010
 
 
“I, who couldn’t speak, who couldn’t feel, felt for the first time in my life. Love. But for him to leave, welcomed feelings of hatred towards him. My mind hated him but my heart loved him.” 
 
 
Seohyun looked over at the glass window to see if the sound director, Wi Giyoung, approved. He gave her a thumbs up and motioned her to come out. 
 
 
Seohyun stepped outside of the sound booth and was welcomed with a high five by Minhyo. “You really got the art of voice overs down!”
 
 
She chuckled. “I wouldn’t call that mastering but I think I am improving.”
 
 
“You did well Seohyun,” said the sound director giving her a pat on the back, “Now let’s have Yonghwa finish up and we’ll be done.” 
 
 
Seohyun took a seat on the couch and watched Yonghwa walk into the sound booth and begin.
 
 
Minhyo walked over and handed her a bottle of water. She sat beside Seohyun. “Is there something going on between you and Yonghwa?” 
 
 
Seohyun sipped the water bottle. “No, why?”
 
 
“You two have been unusually quiet for the past two days,” replied Minhyo. 
 
 
“Why is it unusual for you?”
 
 
“Because you two always talked or were together. You guys don’t even eat lunch together anymore! I watched some of your filming and your attitudes towards each other is not what it is now.”
 
 
She looked down and stared at the water bottle in her hand. “It’s just what it is Minhyo. I think if people become friends too fast it’ll crash and burn just as quick.”
 
 
Minhyo stood up from her seat with a sigh. “Whatever is going on, it needs to get mended quick. The company is planning a lot of promotions after the music video is completed. Expect photo shoots, interviews, maybe even appearances on variety shows. You and Yonghwa are bounded to that by contract. The tension between you two is so obvious and the company president won’t like it at all.”
 
 
With that, Minhyo returned to the sound director’s side, monitoring Yonghwa’s performance.
 
 
Minhyo was right. After today, Seohyun was going to return to Seoul but that didn’t mean this gig was over. She would be seeing Yonghwa in Seoul if the company wanted to do promotional work. 
 
 
Seohyun had blown everything out of  proportion. Her emotions got the best of her. Seohyun didn’t want that. 
 
 
“Hello?”
 
 
Seohyun looked up and saw that Minhyo had picked up the phone on the wall.
 
 
“Okay, let them up. I’ll meet them at the elevator.”
 
 
Minhyo walked out of the room while Seohyun stared at the door with curiosity. Minhyo did say that the singers of the song wanted to visit. 
 
 
The sound director stopped and allowed Yonghwa out of the sound booth. 
 
 
The studio door reopened again and in walked Minhyo with two other people, a woman and man that seemed to be around Seohyun’s age. She immediately stood up from her seat. 
 
 
“Yonghwa, Seohyun this is Jang Ri In and Xiah Junsu. They sang the song for the music video.”
 
 
They all exchanged handshakes. Seohyun couldn’t believe it. It had been five years since the two last did a duet in 2006. Jang Ri In was a Chinese born soloist who made it big in Korea with her duet debut single with Xiah Junsu, Timeless. She was pretty with a sweet yet powerful voice. She had a demeanor as kind and quiet. Her partner, Xiah Junsu was a member of Asia’s biggest group, DBSK. He himself had that captivating voice which matched perfectly with Jang Ri In. Their voices blended in together was made for a heartwenching ballad. 
 
 
“It’s an honor to meet the both of you,” said Yonghwa as he offered bottles of water to the two.
 
 
“No, it’s really a pleasure to meet you two,” replied Ri In as she took the water. “We’ve watched some clips of the music video and we think you’re acting is fantastic!”
 
 
Seohyun blushed. “Thank you,”
 
 
“You don’t need to use formalities with us Seohyun,” spoke up Junsu. 
 
 
“She prefers to speak formally,” interjected Yonghwa. “I tried to make her drop it and talk to me informally but it just doesn’t work out with her.”
 
 
The four of them laughed. Seohyun looked over at Yonghwa who nodded at her. 
 
 
“Excuse me,” interrupted the sound director. “But Yonghwa and Seohyun need to get back to work.”
 
 
Ri In and Junsu nodded at Giyoung. 
 
 
“We’d like to invite you two out for dinner tonight,” proposed Junsu. “If you two don’t mind?”
 
 
They both shook their heads. 
 
 
“Don’t worry about it, Junsu will pay for everything.” said Ri In with a laugh.
 
 
Junsu gave her a look. “We’ll be splitting the bill Ri In.”
 
 
“Well, we’ll be going now,” Ri In said ignoring Junsu. “We’ll meet you downstairs at the front after you’re done. Just tell Minhyo to give us a call.” 
 
 
Seohyun and Yonghwa waited until the two left the room to start up again. 
 
 
 
 
Giyoung stood up from his seat and threw his hands up in the air in triumph. “We’re done!” 
 
 
Seohyun looked up at Giyoung with a smile, as she had been reading a book for the past hour and a half. Her and Yonghwa had been switching off in the sound booth, doing over voice overs and doing new ones that Minhyo would spontaneously add. 
 
 
Giyoung sat back down and twirled his seat to face Seohyun. “Now all I have to do is add it to the video and it’ll be complete.” 
 
 
“I can finally have some dinner!” shouted out Yonghwa as he got out of the sound booth. He clapped his hands together. “I’m craving some dukbokki and ramen.”
 
 
“You should suggest a restaurant to Ri In and Junsu,” said Minhyo waving her phone at them. “I just called them to say that we’ve just finished. Their waiting for you in the lobby.”
 
 
They said their goodbyes and put on their jackets as the two headed out towards the lobby. It was a quiet elevator ride down. Seohyun could feel the awkwardness in the air. Her eyes would look over at Yonghwa, wondering if he to could feel how awkward it is. But he never showed any expression. She went back to playing with her fingers, waiting for the elevator to reach the lobby. 
 
 
Once the elevator doors dinged open, Seohyun rushed out and found Junsu and Ri In sitting in the lobby waiting area. They saw them both, stood up and waved them over. Junsu told them of a place he had searched on his phone, to which Yonghwa agreed would be a good place to have dinner. 
 
 
“I parked my car in the garage,” said Junsu as they departed. 
 
 
Junsu stuck by Yonghwa and Ri In to Seohyun. They didn’t talk much on their way over to the restaurant but it didn’t feel awkward having Ri In with her. It felt comfortable, like the feeling of an older sister. 
 
 
“This is the place,” Yonghwa said pointing at the restaurant Junsu had suggested. 
 
 
Junsu parked in the restaurants parking area and all got out. 
 
 
They were seated at a table upstairs and Yonghwa had done all the ordering since he is a native in Busan. Junsu brought up doing introductions so that they all can be better acquainted. 
 
 
“The youngest should go first!” proposed Ri In with a happy smile. 
 
 
“Okay,” said Seohyun quietly as she cleared . “My name is Seohyun and I’m 19 years old turning 20 in June. I go to Dongguk University and major in acting. I’m new at this business but I love it so far.”
 
 
“Applause!”
 
 
Ri In turned to Yonghwa. “Your turn.”
 
 
Yonghwa shyly laughed as he said, “I’m Jung Yonghwa. I’m 21 turning 22 in June. I’m in FNC Music and FNC Academy, furthering my studies in music. But lately I’ve been having a keen interest in acting as well as doing print ads. I too am new but I’m learning well.”
 
 
The four erupted in applause. 
 
 
“Excuse me,” said a waiter holding a tray. “Your food is ready.”
 
 
The waiter let the first tray down, went to the back and obtained more trays of food. 
 
 
“Wow Yonghwa what did you order?” asked Junsu. 
 
 
“All of Busan’s specialties,” replied Yonghwa with a satisfied smile. 
 
 
And Busan’s specialties it was. Yonghwa began to describe each savory dish. The first was dongnae pajeon. A savory Korean pancake filled with scallions, chili peppers, and various kinds of seafood. Seohyun couldn’t help but drool over the next dish which Yonghwa explained as milmyeon. A Busan version of cold noodles but is made of wheat flour. The last Busan specialty dish was dwaegi gukbap, which Junsu couldn’t wait to taste. It was a hearty pork soup. 
 
 
“Here’s your dukbokki ramen,” The waiter placed the final dish in front of Yonghwa.
 
 
The three gave him a look.
 
 
“What?!” He exclaimed. “I’ve been craving it all day!”
 
 
They laughed and went to trying all the food. Seohyun was especially fascinated as she loved to try new things, especially food. 
 
 
Soon enough each tray and plate was empty until only a tiny crumb was left. 
 
 
Junsu collapsed into his seat and sighed happily. “I feel like the whole time I was eating I was just it all in.”
 
 
Yonghwa gave him a pat on the shoulder. “It was good right?”
 
 
Junsu rubbed his belly, “So good.”
 
 
“Is there any cafés nearby?” asked Ri In. “I need something warm to drink.” 
 
 
Yonghwa nodded. “There’s a café a couple of blocks down. Should we get going?”
 
 
Junsu decided to keep the car in the parking area since it was just down the street. They soon arrived at the café and immediately ordered two cups of hot coffee, an iced coffee for Yonghwa, and green tea for Seohyun.
 
 
“We can all finally talk,” Ri In looked over at Junsu. “Without him shoving food in his mouth every second.”
 
 
Junsu shot her a look. 
 
 
Seohyun smiled. “You two must be really close.”
 
 
“It’s been quiet some time since we’ve worked together. Five years is a big gap,” replied Ri In. “But he is a good person to look up to and I admired him during my debut days.”
 
 
“We’re alike in some ways that it’s enough to have a good relationship with each other. “ added in Junsu.
 
 
“Honestly,” started up Ri In again. “I’ve watched the two of your scenes carefully and there’s this intense chemistry that I think you two are much closer than us.”
 
 
“That’s right!” exclaimed Junsu. “I heard that in your auditions they kept pairing you up because they loved how killer the chemistry between you two was. It was, what did they say, oh…captivating!”
 
 
“I think you’re hyping the two of us way too much,” laughed Yonghwa. 
 
 
Junsu shook his head. “It’s true! It’s exactly what people have said.”
 
 
Seohyun could barely speak. Junsu and Ri In were so straightforward to them. It was a bit overwhelming. 
 
 
“Excuse me, but here’s your order.”
 
 
A waiter set down all four of their drinks on the table. “Enjoy!”
 
 
Seohyun took a sip of her tea. She caught Yonghwa’s eye. She softly smiled at him. She once again had that comfortable feeling tonight. Ri In and Junsu were great sunbaes to get to know and hang out with. As they continued on chatting and having warm drinks, Ri In and Junsu kept on teasing them while the latter two simply enjoyed their company. 
 
 
 
“This is my hotel right here,” said Seohyun stopping Junsu.
 
 
He pulled up to the curb and unlocked the doors.
 
 
Ri In turned to Seohyun. “It was great meeting you. I’m glad we’re now more acquainted with each other.”
 
 
Seohyun shook her hand. “I’m glad too.”
 
 
Junsu turned around to face her. “It was nice meeting you too Seohyun. Get in safe!”
 
 
“I will,” replied Seohyun as she got out of the car. “Goodnight!”
 
 
Suddenly the front passenger door opened and out walked Yonghwa.
 
 
“I can give you a ride home too Yonghwa,” yelled Junsu from inside the car.
 
 
Yonghwa leaned in as Junsu rolled down the window and said, “Don’t worry my house is really close by. It’s late anyways, you two should be heading back to Seoul.”
 
 
Junsu shrugged. “If you say so.”
 
 
Ri In got out of the backseat and took the front seat. “It was great meeting you too Yonghwa. Goodnight.”
 
 
The two of them waved as they watched the car drive off. 
 
 
“Ugh, it’s really cold.” said Yonghwa as he blew into his hands.
 
 
Seohyun gave him a confused look. “Why did you get out? You live far from here! Junsu could have given you a ride.”
 
 
Yonghwa simply shrugged as his reply.
 
 
She rolled her eyes and began walking towards the hotel, with Yonghwa following beside her.
 
 
“I wanted to talk, just you and me,” began Yonghwa. “We fought for no reason.”
 
 
Seohyun stayed silent for a moment before answering, “Yes, we did.”
 
 
“I want…you to wear those gloves without having to feel like you’re obligated to me.” he looked at her. “It’s a gift Hyun. I just want you accept it and know how much I appreciated you throughout the filming of the music video. This was the first time I was in such a thing and I was glad to know that we have become closer through this.”
 
 
“Okay…”
 
 
Before they knew it, they reached the front doors of the hotel. 
 
 
“Do you want me to call a taxi?” asked Seohyun.
 
 
He gave her a smile. “Don’t worry about me.”
 
 
She stared at him with concern knowing that I was late at night. There wouldn’t be any buses.
 
 
“Don’t look at me with those eyes.”
 
 
“What? Why?”
 
 
“It makes my heart beat faster,” said Yonghwa smiling. “I also feel guilty even if I haven’t done anything wrong.”
 
 
Seohyun chuckled. “Alright, I won’t.” 
 
 
Yonghwa then stuck out his hand to her. “Friends?”
 
 
Seohyun took his hand and they shook hands. “Friends. Goodbye Yonghwa, get home safe.”
 
 
He nodded towards the door. “Now go on inside. You should get some rest before your travel back to Seoul.”
 
 
Seohyun nodded. 
 
 
He smiled. “I’ll see you in Seoul sometime Seohyun.”
 
 
She gave him one last smile before turning around and heading inside the hotel. She turned her head around to see if he had left. But he was still there, motioning her to go on inside. Seohyun waved her hand, telling him to leave but he shook his head, wanting to wait for her. 
 
 
Seohyun didn’t want to leave Busan this way. Wanting to stay by Yonghwa’s side, as his friend. 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
[A/N] It's been quiet a while since I've updated 25 Days. I've been busy writing Plaid Shirts & Lipsticks as well as other personal things. The introduction of Junsu and Ri In being the artists for the new song is probably unlikely in real life but let's just pretend it's a perfect world and K-pop was still what it was three years ago. Thank you for understanding! Hope you enjoy :D