Your Voice

25 Days Of Falling In Love
December 8, 2010
 
 
The following morning, Seohyun was sitting on the hotel couch drinking her cup of tea. She looked down at the coffee table before her and stared at the two pairs of gloves that she had. One was Yonghwa’s and the other, a muted pink knit glove, was hers. It was a gift from Yonghwa. This was given to her during last nights dinner. 
 
 
 
 
Last night…
 
 
Yonghwa had brought Seohyun to a nearby restaurant. She didn’t realize how starving she was until Seohyun entered the restaurant. Yonghwa ordered a handful of Busan’s delicacies and with her chopsticks poised over the most mouth watering one, Seohyun dug in. 
 
 
After a while of just eating, Yonghwa broke the silence. “I have something for you.”
 
 
Seohyun set down her chopsticks and looked up at him. “For me?”
 
 
Yonghwa nodded as he rummaged in his backpack. A few seconds later, he produced out a small pink and yellow gift bag. He slid it over to Seohyun with a smile.
 
 
Seohyun cautiously unwrapped the soft pink tissue paper. She reached inside and produced out a pair of pink gloves. 
 
 
“Yong…”
 
 
He shrugged. “You’re always cold and you didn’t bring gloves.”
 
 
“You know I still have yours,” She said.
 
 
He nodded. “I know. You can give them back to me another time.”
 
 
Seohyun smiled. “Thank you,”
 
 
He returned the smile with his own. “No, thank you. I’m grateful for last night.”
 
 
With that, they resumed eating dinner.
 
 
 
 
Seohyun looked over at the clock and realized that it was almost noon time. She had voice over to do at 1. Seohyun decided to stop by at the hotel café and pick up a sandwich before she leaves. As she walked around the room waiting for the driver to call her, Seohyun began to put on her coat, scarf and hat. She stopped at the coffee table as her hands hovered over the gifted gloves, thinking for a moment whether or not she should wear it. 
 
 
Just as she was about to make a decision, her cell phone rang. “Hello?”
 
 
It was the driver. He was outside waiting for her.
 
 
“I’ll be right down.” 
 
 
Seohyun grabbed Yonghwa’s pair of gloves instead, placed it in a bag, and rushed out of her hotel room. 
 
 
As she hopped into the car, Seohyun unwrapped her sandwich and began to eat. As the car drove on, Seohyun took in the scenery of Busan. She had been so busy since the beginning of the filming that she had no time to really do all the sight seeing she wanted. Maybe, in the future, Seohyun would be able to travel back to Busan with a light heart.
 
 
20 minutes later, Seohyun arrived outside of the company building. She thanked the driver as she got off and headed on inside. Today, Seohyun wasn’t going to the dressing. Instead, she had to go through the receptionist to find out room the voice overs would be done in. 
 
 
She walked up to the receptionist and asked, “Hi I’m Seo Seohyun. I’m here to do voice overs for the music video.”
 
 
The receptionist looked up with her. “The room number is 14470 and it will be on the fifth floor. Minhyo should be upstairs waiting for you.” 
 
 
Seohyun slightly bowed her head to thank the receptionist and headed on up. 
 
 
The company building seemed busier now that Seohyun arrived in the afternoon. In the mornings, the only staff that came were for the music video. She rarely went inside during the day except for lunch which was in another part in the building. Seohyun passed men in business suits and women in clean cut dresses. She looked down at her own attire and felt completely out of place. 
 
 
Once Seohyun reached the fifth floor, she began looking for room 14470. She reached the end of the hallway and found the room. Seohyun knocked first before entering. Inside waiting was Minhyo the writer who waved at her with a smile. “You’re here,”
 
 
Seohyun waved back at her as she took off her scarf and gloves. She began to inspect the room as she said, “It’s nice to see you too Minhyo.”
 
 
“Take off your coat too,” said Minhyo.
 
 
Seohyun shook her head. “It’s still a bit cold.”
 
 
Minhyo shrugged. “Suit yourself!” She pointed at the recording room. “Let me tell you about this.”
 
 
The room was a high tech recording studio. Minhyo began explaining to her how each piece of technology in the room works and what their goals were for the day. They were talking deeply about the voice overs when the door opened. They both looked up and found Yonghwa standing in the doorway flushed from the cold. 
 
 
Minhyo stood up. “Finally, you’re here!” 
 
 
Yonghwa nodded at the two of them. He began taking off his outerwear. “Sorry I’m late, the car wouldn’t start from the cold.” He turned to Seohyun and looked down at her hands. Upon not seeing the gloves his smile turned into a dark one. 
 
 
Seohyun looked away. 
 
 
“Here are your scripts,” said Minhyo as she handed it to them. 
 
 
The script was lighter than the music video one and Seohyun’s was significantly lighter than Yonghwa’s. 
 
 
Suddenly there was a knock at the door and two men walked in.
 
 
“Let me introduce to you the sound director Wi Giyoung and his assistant Uhm Taewook.”  
 
 
They introduced themselves to Yonghwa and Seohyun and began explaining what each of them would do. They were to follow the scripts and simply speak with the emotion that came with the lines in the microphone. Seohyun was up first. 
 
 
She stood up from her seat and made her way inside the soundproof booth. She was instructed to put on the heavy large headphones. The director’s voice was heard. 
 
 
“Great Seohyun, do you have your script?”
 
 
Seohyun held it up for him to see. 
 
 
“Okay, when the red light turns on, I want you to read your first line for me.”
 
 
Seohyun nodded. She looked up at the light and once it turned red, she read her first line. “It felt like the first snowfall.”
 
 
The red light turned off and once again the sound director’s voice came into her ear. “We’re not reading the lines literally Seohyun. Give me some more emotion. Let’s try that again.”
 
 
And they did. Over and over until the director as well as Minhyo felt that her line was good enough. This went on for another hour with just Seohyun.
 
 
“That’s good enough for today, you can come out now. Yonghwa, you‘re up next.” 
 
 
As Seohyun was taking off the headphones, Yonghwa was coming in. They made eye contact before she moved aside for him to take her place. He stopped her with a light touch of his hand on her arm. 
 
 
“You didn’t have to accept it, if you didn’t want it.” 
 
 
Before Seohyun could say a word, he brushed past her and put on the headphones silencing her from him. 
 
 
She looked away and proceeded out of the booth. 
 
 
 
 
“You both did a great job today,” announced the director. “So, we’re done for today.”
 
 
“Please come back tomorrow to finish the rest of the voice overs.” said Minhyo as she gathered the scripts from the two of them. “Oh and the artist of the song would like to meet you two tomorrow. Is that okay for you?”
 
 
Seohyun nodded. “What time tomorrow?”
 
 
“Same time,” replied Minhyo.
 
 
As they all gathered to leave, Seohyun slowly put on her outer clothes waiting for the room to be just her and Yonghwa. Once the writer, sound director, and assistant left it was just her and Yonghwa. 
 
 
“I liked it,” started Seohyun. “The gloves…” 
 
 
Yonghwa didn’t face her as he wrapped his scarf around his neck. “Then why didn’t you wear it?” 
 
 
Seohyun didn’t respond as she rummaged in her backpack. She took out his gloves and slid it over to him. 
 
 
Hearing the sound, Yonghwa turned. He picked up his gloves. “I really don’t understand you sometimes. You’re…unique. But it all honestly I was disappointed that you didn’t wear the gloves today. Why didn’t you?” 
 
 
“Yong, I stared at those gloves for over an hour thinking whether or not I should wear it.” replied Seohyun. “I decided not too because what is our relationship with each other besides colleagues?”
 
 
“Are we really going back to this argument Hyun?” Yonghwa ran his fingers through his hair. “We’re friends Hyun!”
 
 
Seohyun put a hand over her heart. “But I’m confused here!”
 
 
“Confused of what? You told me before that you did and didn’t like me. I should be the one who is confused!” 
 
 
“But I know you don’t like me! You’re just…naturally charming. A person like me who has never had a first love or boyfriend wouldn’t know the difference!”
 
 
“Don’t assume that I don’t like you Seohyun,” said Yonghwa with strength. 
 
 
Seohyun shook her head. “I’m not going to do this right now Yonghwa, let’s not fight. I didn’t wear the gloves and let’s leave it at that.” 
 
 
They stared at each other without either one of them faltering their gaze. 
 
 
Yonghwa leaned back in his chair. “Alright,” 
 
 
Seohyun stood up from her seat and buttoned up her coat. “I’ll see you tomorrow Yonghwa.” With that Seohyun turned towards the door and exited. 
 
 
Seohyun bit her lip in frustration as she made her way out of the building. As the icy cold wind blew in her hair Seohyun couldn’t help but feel annoyed and crushed at the same time. It was true. She did like Yonghwa, a lot. But that girl…he never really explained who she was to Seohyun except that she was simply just an ex-girlfriend. She didn’t want to get played by a charming man. She needed to keep her guard up. They were after all colleagues from the beginning and Seohyun was determined to not let her feelings get in the way. 
 
 
 
 
Yonghwa starred down at the pair of gloves in his lap with a bitter expression. He held one up with his hand and played with it. 
 
 
He chuckled as he said, “You have no idea how much I like you too.”