College Life

25 Days Of Falling In Love

 

December 13, 2010
 
“Seohyun! Seo Seohyun!”
 
 
Seohyun turned around and found one of her classmates from media class waving and running towards her with a smile.
 
 
Seohyun waited for her as she said, “It’s been a while Nicole!”
 
 
Nicole Kim was a film major. Her real name was Jinhee but she figured that Jinhee wouldn’t be a likeable name when she becomes a famous film director. It took hours of searching English names on the computer at the library for Jinhee to finally pick a name. Nicole Kim. To Seohyun, she was the kind of friend that was just a school friend. They never hung out outside of the university but confided with each other on a regular basis.
 
 
“I heard you were back from filming. I never got to congratulate you on your first acting job!” Nicole gave her a smile. “Next time, I hope you’ll be in my film.”
 
 
Seohyun linked arms with Nicole and said, “As long as you offer, I’ll do it.”
 
 
They continued walking up the gravel path towards their media class.
 
 
Today, Seohyun had returned to Dongguk University eager to learn again and super excited to be back. Her backpack was filled with all the assignments she missed, completed. 
 
 
Walking up the steps to the media building, felt good.
 
 
“I haven’t missed much right?” asked Seohyun.
 
 
Nicole shook her head no. “But the professor sure as hell missed you. There was no one at class to answer and challenge all his questions. It was way too silent for too long.”
 
 
Seohyun laughed. “You make me sound like such a nerd.”
 
 
Nicole looked at her teasingly. “That’s because you are!”
 
 
The two entered the classroom with smiles. A few other students Seohyun knew greeted and congratulated her on her first role. Seohyun took a seat in the front row alongside Nicole. The professor turned around from writing the objective on the board and smiled once he Seohyun’s familiar face.
 
 
They gave each other an understood nod and the professor began class. 
 
 
Seohyun had her notebook and pen ready as she furiously took notes. It had been a week and a couple of days but college work was invigorating. 
 
 
The day went on and Seohyun was happy to have her college life back. It was strange, she missed it so much. Often times, she would wonder if she got more acting jobs would she have to skip school more often? That thought seemed to cross Seohyun’s mind all day. 
 
 
Her last class of the day was Seowoo’s. Seohyun remembered the first day she stepped into that class. Seohyun was so shocked at how free spirited and relaxing the class was. It was so out of the classic style of teaching Seohyun was so accustomed to that it took her a while to get used to it. 
 
 
By that time, Seowoo had easily become her favorite teacher and the best unofficial manager she ever had. Even if Seowoo was the first one.
 
 
Seohyun parted ways with Nicole as she made her way across the campus to the Performing Arts Center of Dongguk University. Inside was where Seowoo teaches and where her office resided. 
 
 
When Seohyun entered the auditorium, Seowoo was already setting up stage props for class.
 
 
Seowoo turned around once she heard the auditorium door slam shut. She put her hands on her hips and smiled. “Early as usual, I see.”
 
 
Seohyun laughed. “As always.”
 
 
She placed her heavy bag on one of the auditorium seats and walked up the stairs to the stage. “So what are we doing today?”
 
 
“We’ll be doing Dickens’s “A Christmas Carol” for the holiday play this year.: replied Seowoo. 
 
 
The holiday play was a big deal for the drama department. It was usually intended for the freshman to showcase what they learned in the first half of the year. So Seohyun, as a sophomore student, usually just would do a minor role or help out backstage. 
 
 
“What should I help out with then? Have you assigned the roles?” asked Seohyun. 
 
 
Seowoo nodded. “The list is posted up in the front.” She made a grunt sound as she dragged a trunk to the foot of the bed. “These props get harder to handle each year.”
 
 
Seohyun chuckled as she rushed over to help. “Last year, you made us do Nutcracker, even though it’s a ballet! Do you know how hard it was for all of us to learn ballet. Everyone was cursing you out!”
 
 
“Hey!” retaliated Seowoo. “It turned out great! Although we couldn’t do any of the hard ballet moves, your freshman class pulled it off.” Seowoo gave her a wink. “Besides, you were the best Clara.”
 
 
She smiled back. “Thanks to you Seowoo unnie.”
 
 
Seowoo gave her a little push as she put her arm around Seohyun’s shoulder. “It felt just like yesterday you were sitting in the front row auditorium seat, all nervous when I called you and that guy, what’s his name? Anyways, you got up here and although you were nervous you acted like you really loved the guy-student-that-I-can’t-remember-his-name. It was pure talent and you know it. Look at you now, an acting job and even a contract deal to an established entertainment company.”
 
 
“That was all your doing too unnie!”
 
 
Seowoo shook her head. “It was your talent.”
 
 
Their conversation was interrupted by the flow of students that came through the door. Seowoo gave Seohyun a little nod, implying that they’ll talk in her office later. Seohyun walked off stage and greeted her fellow classmates. 
 
 
“Alright time’s a wastin!” yelled Seowoo at the top of her lungs. “You all saw the cast list? Yes? So let’s get to work!”
 
 
 
“Here’s your tea,”: said Seowoo as she entered her office, holding out a cup for Seohyun to take. 
 
 
She cupped the warm cup in her hands and blew the steam away with her lips. As she swiveled in her chair, Seohyun’s eyes caught onto a picture of Seowoo and Jungil on Seowoo’s desk. “How’s the wedding plans going?”
 
 
“It’s going!” replied Seowoo as she pointed at the stack of files on her desk.
 
 
“Did you meet the parents yet?”
 
 
Seowoo nodded. “At first, both of our families weren’t too fond of having a quick wedding but then they met each other and now they can’t wait for us to get married.” Seowoo gave her a wedding magazine. “We have the place picked out, my dress picked out, Jungil’s tux is all done, the guest list and invitations are completed, and I just booked the reception venue.”
 
 
Seohyun applauded he. “Wow, you’re nearly done!”
 
 
“Well what do you expect Seohyun?! The wedding is in four days! You should be getting the wedding invitation by tomorrow.”
 
 
“Can you believe it?” 
 
 
Seowoo sighed with a smile. “I can’t. Sometimes I have to pinch myself to reassure myself that this is real.”
 
 
“This is what love does to you unnie,” replied Seohyun. “It makes you date for two days and then get engaged. People who have been together just to be together aren’t as happy as you and Jungil are.”
 
 
Seowoo took a sip of her coffee before adding. “I hope you find this kind of love Seohyun.”
 
 
She laughed. “I don’t think you’re kind of love will come to me anytime soon.”
 
 
“You have to open your eyes,” said Seowoo as she tapped the outer corner of her right eye. 
 
 
Seohyun rolled her eyes. “You’re ridiculous.”
 
 
Seowoo shrugged as she leaned in her chair, taking sips of her coffee. The expression on her face was rather teasing, as if she knew a secret that she wanted so witchingly to tell.
 
 
“I know that look.” said Seohyun. “You want to tell me something! Spit it out!”
 
 
“I won’t say it!” said Seowoo as she stuck out her tongue.
 
 
“Say it!”
 
 
“No!”
 
 
Seohyun glared at Seowoo with intense eyes. “Fine.”
 
 
Seowoo only chuckled, setting down her now empty cup on her desk. “Let’s talk about something else.”
 
 
The two of them went off on a tangent, talking about anything else. Seowoo was such an expert when it came to changing the subject. She’s a drama professor after all.
 
 
 
 
Seohyun left Seowoo’s office after an hour, since another class was coming in. Although she didn’t have a class. Seohyun decided to head to the library. It was too early to catch up on some reading pleased her. 
 
 
She entered the University library with a smile as warm air hit her face. Seohyun choose a table near the window, took off her jacket, and began taking out books and notebooks from her backpack. She piled them all in a neat stack and began slipping her notebook open to begin homework.
 
 
There was a lot to be done for Media Class. She had a paper due next week on ‘Black & White’ films. Seowoo had even assigned Seohyun and the rest of the backstage crew to look up and study ‘A Christmas Carol’ props in past movies. It was such a time consuming assignment, but Seohyun wouldn’t have another class with them until next week. Seohyun continued to immerse herself in her work. 
 
 
After what seemed like hours of writing and studying, Seohyun laid her head on top of her books and closed her eyes for just a little rest. 
 
 
“You study way too hard.”
 
 
Seohyun’s eyes flew open as she sat up from her chair. “Yonghwa?”
 
 
She starred at him as he flipped though pages of her book with a nonchalant grin on his face. “This is really boring.” 
 
 
She snatched her book away from him and have him a look. “You should give books a chance Yong.”
 
 
He winked at her. “Only if you can make it fun for me.”
 
 
Boom!
 
 
Startled, Seohyun sat up right in her seat and looked for the noise that had shocked her so. 
 
 
A student looked up at her with an apologetic smile. He had a dropped a bunch of book on the floor.
 
 
She nodded at him, indicating that it was okay and went off. 
 
 
Seohyun ran her fingers through her hair and looked around her. She must have fallen asleep and dreamt of Yonghwa sitting before her. “I must be stressed out.”
 
 
Soon enough, an announcement that the library was going to close down in five minutes made Seohyun gather her things and walk out of the library. Other students were scrambling out, making their way towards the smaller library that was open all night for students who wanted to study for an all nighter. 
 
 
It had gotten darker since she had last been outside and the chilled air penetrated Seohyun’s skin with its harshness. She shrugged her heavy backpack on her shoulders and produced gloves from her pocket to warm her hands. The bus stop wasn’t too far from the library and in no time she was waiting for it to arrive. 
 
 
Suddenly, Seohyun’s cell phone went off. She scrambled in her pocket, hurrying to answer it thinking it was her mother. 
 
 
“Hello?”
 
 
“Hey Seohyun, it’s me.”
 
 
“Yonghwa?”
 
 
He replied yes.
 
 
“What’s wrong? Is something the matter?” 
 
 
She heard a small chuckle.
 
 
“No nothing’s wrong,” He answered. “I just wanted to talk to you.”
 
 
Seohyun let out a breath as she smiled. “Really? What are you doing then?” She heard a melody of chords play in the background. “Ah, playing guitar.”
 
 
“Just practicing a little bit. I’ve been home all day and I’m bored.” She heard him set the guitar down, probably on the floor, and heard him shuffle about. He let out a big sigh and Seohyun could hear the creeks of a bed. “Okay, I’m in bed. Tell me about your day.”
 
 
“Well I’m jealous,” said Seohyun as she looked out into the road just as the bus came. “I’m about to hop on a bus home from the university. I was there all day.”
 
 
“Did you have classes? Did you see Seowoo noona?”
 
 
They continued their conversation as Seohyun stepped on the bus. She sat in the back and looked out the window. Their conversation never seemed to turn into that awkward stage. They talked about just about anything. From the silliest things to somewhat serious topics. The walk from the bus stop to her home seemed so short and loneliness from the night never seemed to partake her. Somehow, from entering  her house, putting away her things, changing in pajamas, her cell phone never left her ear. 
 
 
After finally getting ready for the night, Seohyun plopped down on her bed exclaiming, “So you mean to tell me that you haven’t seen a movie in three years?”
 
 
“I haven’t had time!” Yonghwa laughed. “I’ve been busy…”
 
 
“With what? Playing the guitar? You’ve missed too many movies in the past three years!”
 
 
There was a pause over the line before Yonghwa said, “Well then, I guess you’ll have to take me to one.” 
 
 
Seohyun turned around in her bed and flipped through the Dazed & Confused magazine stopping at Yonghwa’s ad. She marked the page with a little crease on the right hand corner as she said, “Maybe.”
 
 
“I won’t take no for an answer.”
 
 
She smiled. “I never said no.”
 
 
“It was implied.”
 
 
“No it wasn’t.”
 
 
“Fine, how about you promise me then?”
 
 
“Promise you?”
 
 
“Promise me that someday or maybe someday you’ll take me to the movies and show me what I’ve been missing out on.”
 
 
A smile played on Seohyun’s lips. “You won’t let this go will you?”
 
 
“Am I really that bad?” He countered.
 
 
She sighed, giving in. “Fine, I’ll maybe someday take you to the movies.” 
 
 
“Your treat?” asked Yonghwa.
 
 
“Ouch. Being stingy aren’t we?” 
 
 
“Just a little,” laughed Yonghwa.
 
 
They were silent after that for a few moments. As Seohyun snuggled deeper into her blankets, she tuned in on Yonghwa’s soft breathing. They had been talking for hours and to her it felt like absolutely nothing. This little break from speaking didn’t affect her at all. She felt comfortable just laying there, knowing he was on the other line listening to her breathe as well. 
 
 
“Are you going to fall asleep on me Hyun?” 
 
 
“No, I won’t. I promise.”