Surprise!

25 Days Of Falling In Love

December 4, 2010

 

“Cut! Okay, lunch break everyone!”

 

Seohyun and Yonghwa got up from the ground. The scene they had just finished was of them at a cliff near Busan, where Yonghwa asked Seohyun a billion questions that she never answers.

 

They made their way together back to the company building. The building as well as the whole property had been made into sets for the music video drama.

 

The two got lunch at the company building cafeteria and found a table to sit at.

 

They chatted for a bit before Seohyun’s cell phone began to ring.

 

“Hello?”

 

“Hey Seohyun, its Seowoo.”

 

“Unnie!” exclaimed Seohyun. “I miss you! How are you? When are you free from work so that you can come down here?”

 

She heard Seowoo chuckle. “I should be able to come back by next week with Jungil.”

 

“Jungil oppa? I haven’t seen him in a long time.”

 

“Well, he’s been talking about you a lot.”

 

“What do you mean Seowoo unnie?” asked Seohyun.

 

“I mean, he won’t shut up about how proud and happy he is for you.”

 

“Jealous?” joked Seohyun.

 

Seowoo’s voice became ten times higher. “What are you talking about?!”

 

“Oh unnie,” said Seohyun. “You’ve had a crush on Jungil oppa since I could remember.”

 

“Shhhhh! Seohyun, what if somebody hears?!”

 

“Oh don’t worry, it’s just Yonghwa.”

 

Yonghwa looked up at her midway putting food in his mouth, with a confused expression on his face.

 

“Seohyun!”

 

“Yonghwa oppa won’t tell. Right oppa?”

 

“Yes…?”

 

“Hear that Seowoo unnie, he won’t say anything.”

 

Seowoo sighed. “Fine. Oh, the reason why I called you was tonight I want you to come to my birthday party.”

 

Seohyun slapped her hand to her forehead. “I’m so sorry Seowoo, I totally forgot!”

 

“It’s okay Seohyun, you’re busy I understand. Just promise to come tonight okay?”

 

“I will, what time tonight?”

 

“Whenever,” replied Seowoo. “Preferably by 9.”

 

Seohyun smiled. “Okay, I’ll be there.”

 

“Oh and bring Yonghwa with you.” Seowoo said with a chuckle. “You guys have gotten quite close.”

 

“Unnie…”

 

“No really bring him. So I’ll see you tonight Seohyun. Oh and dress nice, it’s one of those semi formal adult things. Goodbye Seohyun-ah!”

 

“Wait unnie!” The phone clicked and the line went dead. “Happy birthday…”

 

“Was that Seowoo noona?” asked Yonghwa.

 

Seohyun nodded. “It’s her birthday today and she invited us to her birthday party. Want to go?”

 

Yonghwa leaned back in his seat with a smirk on his face. “Seohyun-ah…”

 

“What?”

 

He wiggled his eyebrows at her. “Are you asking me out on a date?”

 

Seohyun looked at him perplexed. Her cheeks began to burn red. “What?! No! What are you talking about?!”

 

Yonghwa sighed. He picked up his chopsticks and once again resumed eating. “It’s okay, I guess you’re not ready to admit it.”

 

“What are you talking about?!”

 

 

“Is it here?”

 

“No, you have to go up more and than make a right.”

 

“Oh, okay.”

 

Seohyun looked over at Yonghwa who was obeying her every direction. After filming for the day was wrapped up they went to a local mall in Busan to find outfits for Seowoo’s party. Seohyun found a cute royal blue dress with a long sleeve with black detailing. She wore stocking underneath for warmth and a pair of black heels. After, Seohyun got her outfit they went back to Yonghwa’s home so he could change. Yonghwa had chose to wear classic blue denim jeans with a navy blue polo over a red and black diamond patterned cardigan. His mother insisted to take a picture of them on Yonghwa’s cell phone, which had to be done.

 

After hours on the road, they finally arrived in Seoul and were just pulling up to Seowoo’s house. Seowoo lived in an apartment. Very modern, chic, and spacious. Seohyun used to go there all the time when she needed extra practice. As they exited the elevator, Seohyun could hear the party had long been underway. Seohyun stared at the door.

 

“Should we just go in?” asked Yonghwa.

 

Seohyun nodded. “I guess so.”

 

Yonghwa looked at her. “Are you nervous? Why are you nervous?”

 

She shrugged. “I’ve never really been to a party like this before.”

 

“You mean with adults?”

 

“No I mean like people drinking…excessively.”

 

Yonghwa let out a loud laugh. He grabbed onto Seohyun’s wrist. “Come on. What’s the worst that can happen? Besides, I’m here.”

 

Yonghwa opened the apartment door to reveal Seowoo’s birthday party. It was crowded. Seohyun knew Seowoo had a lot of friends but she didn’t expect this many to show up. Girls wore dresses and guys wore jeans. Seohyun sighed with relief. Good, at least they weren’t out of place. As they made their way further in, Seohyun noticed a couple of familiar faces. Some were students in Seowoo’s acting classes at the University and some Seohyun herself had practiced with.

 

“Seohyun!”

 

She turned around and found Seowoo smiling and waving at her over. Next to her was Jungil oppa. She waved at them as she led Yonghwa towards them.

 

“Happy Birthday Yang Seowoo!” yelled Seohyun as they hugged. “You look gorgeous tonight!”

 

And she truly was. Seowoo was wearing a cream lace dress. She wore matching heels with on them. Her hair was let loose into loose waves.

 

“I’m glad the two you could actually make it! I thought your shoot would go on all night.” Seowoo beamed at the two of them. She brought Jungil closer to them. “Yonghwa, this is Jungil.”

 

“We’ve met,” replied Yonghwa as he shook his hand.

 

Seohyun hugged Jungil. “It’s great to see you oppa.”

 

“You too, Seohyun-ah.”

 

“There’s food in the dining room if you want and there is dancing going on in the terrace.” She motion for Yonghwa to come closer. “But first, let me give Yonghwa a house tour.”

 

Seohyun nodded as she watched the two of them head towards the rooms.

 

“How’s shooting on location?” asked Jungil. “Is it how you expected?”

 

Seohyun shrugged. “It’s the same routine everyday, but I’m getting used to it.”

 

“Does everyone treat you okay?”

 

“Like a princess,” jokingly replied Seohyun with a smile. “You should come to visit more often.”

 

Jungil nodded. “I will.”

 

They continued to talk and eat at the small appetizers table. Jungil told Seohyun in full detail about a new historical drama that him and his action company are stunt doubling for. Seohyun  in return talked about the music video and Yonghwa.

 

“Finished!”

 

Jungil and Seohyun broke away from their conversation and looked to find Seowoo and Yonghwa returning from their house tour.

 

“You can have Yonghwa back Seohyun,” winked Seowoo pushing Yonghwa to her.

 

Seohyun ignored her tactic as she turned to Yonghwa with a small plate of food in her hand. “Are you hungry?”

 

Yonghwa thanked her as he took the plate. “What were you two talking about?”

 

Seohyun looked at Jungil who had a blank expression on his face. “Just about our jobs.”

 

Yonghwa nodded as he ate one appetizer. He placed the rest on the table. He leaned in close to Seohyun and whispered. “Want to dance?”

 

Seohyun nodded.

 

He took her by the waist and led her to the terrace where the dancing was happening.

 

Seohyun turned her head back to Seowoo who had a big grin on her face. Yonghwa brought her to the middle of the dance floor and they began to dance. Seohyun smiled at Yonghwa’s playfulness as he twirled her around. He wasn’t a great dancer but Yonghwa made up for it by having fun with her.

 

They danced for a little more before stopping and making their way towards the corner of the terrace and away from others. Seohyun leaned on the terrace railing and looked out into the Seoul night. The view was so different from Busan’s. Seohyun felt a nostalgic feeling course through her veins. Her memories of Seowoo’s place made her smile.

 

“What are you thinking about?

 

Seohyun turned to Yonghwa who was leaning against the railing beside her.

 

“Just about the past,” replied Seohyun. “And how different it is to me now.”

 

“Everything’s changed for you now that you’re acting right?”

 

She nodded. “I sort of miss being the old me. Now I’m so busy I can’t even remember my friend’s birthday.”

 

“It’s what you’ve always wanted Hyun,” said Yonghwa with a reassuring smile.

 

“But I’m scared,” Seohyun looked at him. “I’m scared that this will just be too hard for me.”

 

“Take a chance Hyun. Just take a chance. Whatever life throws at you don’t be scared and run away. Take it with confidence and go with it.” Yonghwa put a hand on her shoulder. “You’re talented. Don’t let a night like this reel you back to who you once were. Tonight is just a reminder to never forget where you came from.”

 

Seohyun smiled. “I’m lucky to have you as a friend.”

 

“You know it,” He squeezed her shoulder before letting go.

 

“Hey! Everyone, Seowoo’s going to blow the cake!”

 

Everyone out on the terrace began to file into the apartment and Yonghwa and Seohyun followed along. A rhythmic clap to “Happy Birthday” began as a friend of Seowoo’s presented the cake to her. Seohyun saw the happiness gleam in her eyes. No one would ever bare to see that happiness be stripped away from her.

 

“Happy Birthday!”

 

Cheers and applause erupted as Seowoo made a quick wish and blew out the candles.

 

“How old are you now?!” yelled a guest from the crowd.

 

“28!” yelled Seowoo loud and proud.

 

Everyone laughed. Seowoo began to cut the cake for everyone to eat. Yonghwa told her to wait for him as he went to get the cake.

 

As Seohyun was leaning against the couch, Jungil came up to her and took her by the arm.

 

“Oppa, what’s up?”

 

“Can we talk?” asked Jungil.

 

Seohyun nodded.

 

Jungil led her though the room, into the hallways, and into Seowoo’s bedroom. Jungil let go of her arm and began to pace around the room.

 

“What’s wrong oppa? Is something bothering you?” asked Seohyun.

 

“Do…do you like Yonghwa?”

 

“Wh—what?” stuttered Seohyun. “Why are you asking?”

 

“Do you like him Seohyun?” Jungil asked again.

 

“I—He’s a friend oppa of course I like him.”

 

“No! Not like that!” Jungil yelled frustrated. He pushed her against the wall and pinned her down by the shoulders.

 

Seohyun began to shake as she timidly looked up into his eyes. This was a different oppa. His eyes weren’t Jungil’s. His breath against her skin indicated that he had been drnking heavily. He was drunk.

 

“I like you Seohyun, I like you a lot. I like you more than my dongsaeng and more than my friend. Seeing you with him makes me mad. I hate to see him near you. I hate when you work with him. I hate it when he comes and tags along. I like you Seohyun, for the longest time now.”

 

Suddenly, the bedroom door slammed shut. Seohyun and Jungil looked towards the door and Seohyun’s worst fear came about. She pushed against Jungil’s chest and yelled, “Let go of me!”

 

Jungil let go and watched her open the door and leave the bedroom.

 

Seohyun’s vision became blurry as she saw Seowoo walking quickly ahead of her. She grabbed hold of Seowoo’s arm and pulled her to a stop.

 

“Unnie, please—“

 

“Stop,” cut in Seowoo. She whirled around to face Seohyun and with an angry glare said, “You knew how much I like Jungil. How could you?”

 

“I didn’t know Seowoo, I didn’t know!”

 

“No! You knew! You knew all along he liked you!”

 

“Noona!”

 

They both turned and found Yonghwa at the end of the hallway.  He began walking up towards them. He grabbed Seohyun’s wrist. “Let’s go.”

 

Seohyun shielded her crying face from Seowoo as she followed Yonghwa out of the apartment. He didn’t stop until after she was inside his car and he was riding off.

 

Seohyun looked out the window as they were turning into the highway, exiting from Seoul. Her tears had continued on as she thought about what had just happened. She had hurt Seowoo and that was the last thing she wanted to happen. Jungil…was a shock to her. She didn’t expect him to straightforwardly tell her he liked her like that.

 

As she shoulders trembled from the crying, Seohyun felt a warm hand rest on top of hers. She looked at Yonghwa who kept his eyes straight on the road but gave her a little squeeze for comfort.

 

Seohyun flipped her hand around so that their palms were now touching. She clasped her hand tightly around his and went back to looking out from the window. At least she still had a friend.