I Can't

25 Days Of Falling In Love

December 6, 2010

 

“There, your hair is finished.”

 

Seohyun opened her eyes from mini nap and took a look at her hair. The hair stylist had done a soft beach wave look. She smiled. “I like it.”

 

“Okay, we’ll get on with your make up then.” The hair stylist motioned for the make up artist to take over.

 

“Close your eyes please.”

 

Seohyun did as she was told as the make up artist started applying primer, base, and shadow. It was a normal routine.

 

“You look tired, couldn’t sleep last night?”

 

Seohyun nodded. She could barely take an hour of sleep last night. She kept tossing and turning and thinking about Yonghwa and that girl all night. Sleep was no longer in the schedule for her once the clock turned 6 am. She had gotten up, taken a shower, and called the company to have a car come to pick her up. It was 6:30 am when she arrived at the company building and waited for another 30 minutes for the stylists. It was a sleepless and restless morning.

 

The make up artist chuckled. “Well, thank god for make up. We can hide those dark circles and you’ll look like you’ve slept for 12 hours.”

 

“Thank you,”

 

After fifteen more minutes, they lead her to the dress rack where they would choose what outfit to wear for the scenes today.

 

“Seohyun?”

 

They all turned around to find Yonghwa standing at the doorway. His hands were in his pockets, his face red from the cold, and an angry expression on his face.

 

“Where were you? I thought I was supposed to pick you up this morning. I waited outside your hotel for over an hour.”

 

“I got a ride from the company,” replied Seohyun.

 

They starred at each other before Yonghwa broke off the gaze and made his way to his side of the dressing room. Seohyun turned back to the stylists and they continued picking out her outfit.

 

“He gives you a ride?” whispered one of the stylist.

 

Seohyun nodded as she held up a boho light brown dress. “What about this one, I haven’t worn it yet.”

 

“Why didn’t you take the ride?!” whispered another one as she gave Seohyun a pale blue cardigan to match the dress.

 

She shrugged. “I didn’t need one.”

 

“He’s cute though!” The stylist handed her tan moccasin flats.

 

Seohyun ignored her as she took all the clothes. “Am I ready?”

 

They all nodded. She went off to the dressing room and began to change for the scenes.

 

811295jnixvug5c6.gif

 

“Cut!”

 

Seohyun backed away from Yonghwa’s face and looked the other way. The director got out of his chair and walked towards where Seohyun and Yonghwa were. They were sitting by a frozen river in Busan on a stone ledge.

 

Today was the inevitable kissing scene that the writer, Minhyo had elaborately written in. Except Seohyun had a problem, she couldn’t kiss him. It was hard to. All she thought about him and that girl. She couldn’t bring herself to do it.

 

“Seohyun,” asked the director. “Is there a problem because you keep moving away from him.”

 

“No sir,”

 

“Then can we please just get this shot? It’s not an intense kiss nor is it an open mouth kiss. He’s just going to brush his lips against yours. You know what, if it turns into an intense kiss then the better for me.” He gave a wink towards Yonghwa and began walking back to his camera.

 

Yonghwa chuckled as he leaned in close to Seohyun and whispered in her ear, “Is it because this is your first kiss?”

 

Seohyun looked away, ignoring him.

 

He stared at her for a second, noticing her sour expression. “It was a joke Seohyun. Look, are you mad at me or something? You’ve barely talked to me all day.”

 

“I’m not mad at you,” whispered Seohyun.

 

“Okay then, let’s just do this.” Yonghwa turned back into his position and got ready for the director to call for action.

 

Seohyun took a deep breath and gave a small nod to the director.

 

“Okay! Take six, and action!”

 

“I’m glad to be here rather than in Seoul. The air is fresher and it’s quieter around here.” He turned towards her. “And I have you.”

 

Seohyun quietly turned towards him with wide eyes. The breeze lifted strands of her hair. Yonghwa began inching towards her. She closed her eyes and let Yonghwa lightly brush his lips against hers.

 

“Cut!”

 

Seohyun immediately backed away and looked at the ground.

 

“Let’s take a ten minute break! Seohyun there’s no emotion coming out from you take a good break.” He jumped off from his chair and began retreating back towards the building, probably for some coffee.

 

Seohyun sighed and thanks the stylist who draped a large jacket over her.

 

“What’s going on with you Seohyun?” Yonghwa asked. “This isn’t like you.”

 

She shook her head. “Not right now,” She stood up from the ledge and began walking further into the Busan fields. She approached the fake setup house that her music video character lived in and leaned against the dining table with her hands. She had to get her act together.

 

“Seohyun?!”

 

She heard his footsteps begin to approach towards her. She waited for him to enter the house and find her in the dining room.

 

“What are you doing here?” asked Yonghwa as he slowly approached her. She didn’t answer. “What’s going on Seohyun? It’s not like you to leave me waiting outside the hotel in the morning with a text or call. It’s not like you to be this hostile towards me.”

 

“Just leave me alone Yonghwa,” replied Seohyun. “I don’t want to talk to you right now.”

 

“You don’t want to talk to me?!” yelled Yonghwa. “Why? I don’t understand!”

 

“Well I don’t understand either!” countered Seohyun. She turned to Yonghwa. “I don’t understand why I’m so mad at you. We have no relationship with each other but I’m mad at you for—for seeing you with another girl last night! But why should I care?! We’re not together but I’m mad!”

 

Yonghwa put his hands in his pockets and sighed. “You keep saying we’re not together.” He looked at her in the eyes. “Do…you like me Hyun?”

 

Seohyun contemplated for a minute before answering, “Yes…and no.”

 

“Yes and no?”

 

She nodded. “You’re charming and very likeable but…”

 

“But?”

 

“I don’t know,” She looked away from his eyes. “I really don’t know.”

 

“Seohyun? Yonghwa?”

 

They both turned to see who it was. It was one of the staff beckoning them over. “The director is ready now.”

 

They both nodded as they made their way back to the filming area together. Seohyun made sure to keep a good three feet behind him. As they arrived the director walked up to them in a happier mood. “Are we good to go?” After they nodded, they returned to their positions and got ready for the scene.

 

“Action!”

 

They started the scene just as before but this time Seohyun was sure to put in more emotion. She gave what the director wanted, wider eyes, solemn look yet with a small smile, and the feelings of excitement.

 

It was time for Yonghwa to kiss her. She closed her eyes softly as she felt him lean in closer. Their lips touched and this time Seohyun decided to kiss back instead of sitting still. His arm wrapped around her waist and pulled her closer to him and deepened the kiss.

 

Seohyun pulled away first, head down, and holding onto his shoulder. He looked down at her with a small smile.

 

“Cut! Okay, we’re done for the day.”

 

Seohyun ran up to a stylist, grabbed a large jacket, and began to quickly make her way inside the warm company building. She walked through the automatic glass doors and began to warm up. She saw Yonghwa hurriedly walking in. He stood beside Seohyun letting himself warm up as well.

 

“I’m sorry,”

 

“For what?” asked Seohyun.

 

“For taking your first kiss,” replied Yonghwa. “Your first kiss is supposed to be something special.”

 

Seohyun chuckled. “Its fine, I won’t count it anyways.”

 

“You won’t count it?”

 

She nodded. “It was a work kiss.”

 

Yonghwa nodded understanding. “I see,”

 

“Can we…also forget what I said back there?”

 

“You know,” said Yonghwa ignoring her statement. “She was an ex I’ll admit, but nothing more.”

 

“You don’t have to tell me…”

 

He shrugged. “But I want too.”

 

“I’m—I’m going to going to go,” Seohyun began walking towards the dressing room to change into her street clothes. She ignored Yonghwa’s calls to for her. It was still early. She needed to get out of here to clear her head. She needed to go back to Seoul.

 

811295jnixvug5c6.gif

 

Seohyun arrived in Seoul in the later afternoon. She had taken an express train from Busan and was able to arrive earlier than expected. She exited the train terminal and took a subway that led towards her school, Dongguk University. It had been a while. After thirty minutes, she stepped foot on campus and began making her way to the drama department.

 

She entered a class where she spotted Yang Seowoo lecturing about the different techniques on acting. They caught each others eyes and Seohyun smiled at her. Seowoo hesitantly smiled back before going back to her lecture.

 

Once the class ended and the students cleared out, Seohyun went down and walked up to Seowoo. “Hey,”

 

She was cleaning up the desk as she said, “Hey you, what are you doing here in Seoul? Are you done filming in Busan?” Seowoo began walking out of the lecture room towards her office.

 

“I think tomorrow is the last scene,” replied Seohyun as she followed her.

 

“That’s good,” She set all her things on her desk and began to type on the computer.

 

“Hey Seowoo, are you still mad at me?” asked Seohyun.

 

Seowoo stopped typing and leaned in her chair with a smile. “No, I’m sorry I didn’t answer you for a while. I was just mad, not at you but at the situation. I’m sorry but everything’s okay now.”

 

“Really?” Seohyun sighed with a smile. “I’m really sorry Seowoo, I didn’t think anything about it.”

 

“Seohyun, it’s okay! Besides we’re dating now.”

 

“What?!”

 

Seowoo nodded. “We fought the day after the party and that mishap and then we kissed and that was it. We’ve had—“

 

“Whoa, okay I don’t need to know anymore,” interrupted Seohyun with a forming blush on her cheeks and a large smile on her face. “Are you happy?”

 

“Extremely,” Seowoo looked at her concerned. “How about you? Why’d you come to Seoul? You could have just given me a phone call.”

 

“Well I wanted to see you and I wanted to talk to you.”

 

“Go ahead, tell me what’s going on at the filming site.”

 

“I…sort of told Yonghwa that I like him but that I don’t.”

 

Seowoo shook her head confused. “Wait, you like him but you don’t?”

 

She nodded.

 

Seowoo softly smiled. “Okay, so you’re confused. But you like him more than you don’t?”

 

“Yes…”

 

“Wow, your first love?”

 

“Yes,”

 

“Then it’s going to be confusing,” Seowoo reached for Seohyun’s hand and held it. “You shouldn’t talk to me about this but to Yonghwa.”

 

“I can’t talk to Yonghwa,” quietly whispered Seohyun. “I just can’t talk to him.”

 

“Did you find out about something?”

 

“His ex came to see him the other night.”

 

“Oh Seohyun…you can’t be mad at him for that.” Seowoo stood up from her chair. “Come on, if we’re going to beat the traffic to Busan we might as well go now.”

 

811295jnixvug5c6.gif

 

“Thank you Seowoo,” said Seohyun as she got out of her car. “Thank you for the ride.”

 

Seowoo leaned out towards her. “My pleasure. Now remember what I said, you need to talk to him and soon. Don’t make yourself miserable thinking do I like him or not. If your heart is wavering than you know what to do.”

 

Seohyun nodded. “Will you come out tomorrow, my favorite acting instructor?”

 

She laughed. “I’ll swing by for your last shoot. I’ll see you tomorrow.”

 

“See you tomorrow!” Seohyun waved and watched Seowoo drive away before walking towards the hotel. She greeted all the hotel staff that were still up as she walked by.

 

It was nice to have a good talk with Seowoo. She was no longer mad at her and everything was forgiven. All Seohyun needed to do was to work on her own personal life now.

 

The elevators dinged open for her as she walked through them. She went through the mental list in her head of all the things she needed to pack for tomorrow. As she rounded the corner, she stopped in her tracks as she saw someone leaning against her hotel door.

 

“Hyun…”

 

“Yonghwa?” Seohyun began to slowly walk up to him. “What are you doing here?” He looked at her. He was sweating and he was shaking. “Hey, what’s wrong?” She put her palm against his forehead. “You’re burning!”

 

“I—I don’t know what’s going on, I was heading over here and then suddenly I felt really bad and I—“ Yonghwa began to shiver.

 

“Come on inside,” She opened the hotel door with her card and helped Yonghwa inside. “Did you eat something on your way here?”

 

“The staff went out to dinner to some restaurant so I went along, it had strange food…”

 

“Are you feeling nauseous?” asked Seohyun as she led him to her bed.

 

“A lot,”

 

She grabbed the garbage can just as he began to throw up. She patted his back. He laid back down on the bed. Seohyun draped the blanket over him and took off his shoes. “I’m going to run to the nearest drugstore and get you some medicine.”

 

He nodded as he shivered in the blankets.

 

Seohyun ran to the elevator and stepped inside. She pressed the button for the lobby and once she reached she asked the front desk to send a pitcher of water to her room. She then asked where the nearest drugstore was located and began to run out of the hotel. The drugstore was a couple of blocks down the street and she bought two bottles of medicine. She proceeded to run back to the hotel and in her hotel room. Yonghwa was still shivering in the blanket. She quickly poured a glass of water and took out some pills from the medicine bottle.

 

Seohyun helped him sit up and handed him the pill. He took it and drank quickly. “Lie back down,” She whispered.

 

He did so. She ran to the bathroom and prepared a wet towel and a small bucket filled with cold water to bring down his fever. She walked back in the room and placed it on his head.

 

“I’m sorry,” He whispered.

 

Seohyun shook her head with a small smile. “It’s alright,” Just as she said those words, he closed his eyes. She sighed and began to get up from the bed. Suddenly, she felt his hand grab for hers pulling her back to him.

 

“Stay,”

 

Seohyun hesitated for a moment before sitting back down on the bed. “Okay…” She whispered.

 

Tonight was going to be a long night.