Villa II

Clandestine

               Jongin’s body is no longer shaking, and I feel relieved. But soon I come to my senses and feel my own heat burning me. What is Jongin thinking? When am I going to let go? Is he going to let go first? What if my face gets red?

               “Jongin hyung?”

               Soonyoung is calling from outside, and his footsteps are heard closer. I nearly push Jongin away, and turn around to face the door. Soonyoung appears, and he heads to Jongin first. “Are you okay? Are you hurt somewhere?”

               I slowly move to see Jongin again, and he’s having his arms folded back on his chest. “I’m okay, it was freezing though.” he glances at me once. “Dana made me tea.”

               “It would help.” Soonyoung nods. “There’s a washing machine in the back, you can put your clothes there.”

               “Will do. Thanks.”

               Soonyoung gets out of the room, leaving us two inside again. I try to look at Jongin, but I’m just too embarrassed. “Then I’ll -” I’m going to escape, but Jongin interrupts.

               “When did you see it?”

               “See what?”

               “The transferring body heat thing.”

               I feel my lips getting dry. “A movie. From a long time ago. Disaster film.”

               “Oh.”

               “I did it solely to help, no ulterior motive.” I said it in one breath. Jongin looks at me without a word, and blinks once.

               “Then can you do it again? I’m still cold.”

               My head goes blank.  Jongin spreads out his arms and I laugh from my nose. I carefully slide myself back to him, and he locks his hands on my back. “What am I going to do without Joo Dana here?”

               Jongin’s temperature is much warmer than before, and we are less timid than before. “That’s what friends are for.”

               Friends. My own word rings in my ear, and suddenly my heart feels a bit depleted. Why did I say that?

               After a minute, I slowly pull away. “I think I did my job. I’ll - I’ll go out again.”

               I go out without looking at Jongin, and take a deep breath as soon as I’m outside. I don’t even know if I should regret or give myself credit for what I did.

*

               Dinner takes place at the spacious roofed patio on the back of the villa with a long table that fits us all, and everyone is assigned tasks for the time. I finished first with making stew with a female junior, so I’m one of the people who gets to sit on the table first.

               Someone sits in front of me, and he greets me with a smile. “Hello, noona. I’m Intaek, Soonyoung’s classmate.”

               “Oh, hello.”

               “I haven’t gotten the chance to talk to you today.” he sounds shy, and I send him a polite smile. We end up having small talks as the others start to come, filling up the table with food.

               I’m sitting on the edge, and someone takes the seat next to me. It’s Jongin. He sits without a word, and soon Aram comes to his side. We start eating, and Intaek is still talking to me.

               I can’t help but hear Aram and Jongin’s conversation, and she’s obviously interested in him. Jongin doesn’t sound too enthusiastic about replying to her questions though.

               “Dana noona?”

               I focus back on Intaek, and he looks like he’s waiting for me to answer. I have my eyes on him, but my ears are listening to a different thing. “Sorry - what did you say again?”

               “I wonder if you’d like to take a night walk with me later.”

               I look around the area. “Through the darkness and the trees?”

               Intaek laughs. “No, we can take the car and go to the town, have coffee or something.”

               “Oh.” my throat suddenly feels dry. “I heard we were going to have drinks and games after dinner?”

               “Yes, but we can just leave for a bit.” Intaek smiles.

               “Dana, can you pass me that?” Jongin suddenly says as he points to a plate of a side dish next to me, making me shudder. I hand him the dish, and I look at Intaek again. I suddenly remembered I had something to buy. “Can we stop by the convenience store later?”

               “Sure.” Intaek readily agrees. He looks elated, and I continue eating. Jongin is currently quiet, but Aram is still talking about her interests.

               After dinner, Intaek drives the car to a small coffee shop downtown, and when I say small, it literally can only fit a couple of tables with two chairs each, the counter, and the barista. It’s very cozy and warm though, and the drinks are not bad.

               I generally have a good talk with Intaek, and he seems like a nice guy. We have similarities in our music taste, and apparently attended the same concert a few years ago. We spent an hour in it, and got back to the villa.

               Almost all of the group are in the living room drinking on the floor with the furniture set aside and carpets spread beneath them, and they welcome us with subtle cheers and whistles. I don’t see Jongin anywhere, and I join the circle.

               Intaek leaves to his room for a while, and Jongin appears from the bathroom’s direction. We lock eyes, and he nonchalantly sits next to me. “Where have you been?”

               “Town with Intaek.” I say as I reach for a can of beer. Jongin has his eyes on it all along, and I click my tongue. “Come on, I can control myself.”

               “I didn’t say anything.” he says, and grabs another one for himself. “What did you do with him?”

               This conversation isn’t over? “We had coffee and shopped.”

               “I don’t know you’re into younger men.”

               I stopped drinking. “What?”

               “Nothing.”

               “What do you -”

               “Okay, next game!” Soonyoung roars out of the blue, raising an empty bottle. He appears to be drunk with rosy cheeks and eyes that barely open. “The two people that the bottle points have to kiss!”

               Screeches are heard from the entire room, but Soonyoung already spins the bottle. “Oh come on, just a peck will be fine!” he says.

               My fingers curl when the bottle slows down near my direction, then it stops at Jongin. On the other side, there’s Aram. 

               Everyone gets wild, and all eyes are on them. Jongin hasn’t moved an inch and I can’t bring myself to  cheer like the others. I try to keep my face neutral, and glance at Aram. She seems shy, but I swear I saw a smirk just now.

               “So… Will they? Will they?” Soonyoung heats up the crowd.

               Jongin’s body bends forward, and my heart skips a beat. Is he - ?

               He takes a shot, and dunks it down in one go. The group lets out disappointed groans, and Aram shrugs with a bitter smile. Jongin shows the empty glass, and looks at Aram. “Sorry, noona.”

               “So you’re not into older women either, hm?” I say only for him to hear. Jongin sends an unreadable gaze at me, and looks at the front again.

               “Ah, you’re no fun, hyung! Now we have to switch games.” Soonyoung complains, and Jongin chuckles.

               “He’s staying loyal to someone, it seems.” someone chirps, and my smile fades. Right. What if it’s not that he’s not into Aram, but because he has someone?

               I drink more to drown my thoughts. Now what am I going to do?