Lilac

Clandestine

               The pair stop a few feet near us, their eyes shoot out silent questions. Jongin is wearing a cream colored fleece jacket with fitted dark jeans, and the woman next to him is bundled in an oversized dark olive coat and lilac scarf around her neck. Is she his sister? I was thinking of a girlfriend, but this is not the one who came into his apartment that time.

               Jongin and I avoid each other’s eyes, and I decide to avert my sight to the view surrounding the cemetery.

               “Hello.” Grandpa greets first. “Hyein and Jongin, isn’t it?”

               “Yes.” the woman in the lilac scarf cautiously smiles. “Have you been well?”

               “I’m doing great. I’m bringing my granddaughter Dana.” Grandpa touches my arm lightly. “Aren’t his children coming?”

               “Our family members will come later. We’re just early.” Hyein says, her eyes on me.

               I swallow. It’s his sister… Six years ago, she was also at the hospital and I remember her glaring at me with a mixed look. It had pity, disbelief, anger and cluelessness in her eyes.

               “Well then. How have you been, children? You’ve grown up so much.”

               “Well… I’m married. And I’m expecting now.” Jongin’s sister touches her belly as a bright smile blooms on her face. “And Jongin… He’s a university student.”

               “That’s lovely. Always be healthy.” Grandpa smiles, and turns to Jongin. “I’ve heard. He goes to the same school as our Dana.”

               She takes turns glancing at me then at Jongin. From the look on her face, this seems to be news for Jongin’s sister. Then it means his family doesn’t know anything about the incident? Good.

               “Well, we have to go now. Pleasure to meet you two. Relay my greetings to your parents.” Grandpa says, and the siblings bow. 

               “Ah, yes. Nice to meet you, Dana.” Hyein says with a smile, and that startles me a bit. It sounds genuinely cheerful and friendly.

               We walk to the car in silence and Grandpa heaves a deep sigh once he’s seated.

               “Are you still classmates with Kim Jongin?” he asks.

               “Only for two more weeks.” I quickly answer, and I feel great relief after remembering it. Two weeks, and we’ll be done.

               “I see.” Grandpa says calmly. 

               I try to change the topic. “I’m sorry. I have no idea that your friend… is gone.”

               “Well, it happens at my age.” Grandpa exhales softly. “After he passed away, I didn't really keep in touch with his family. I met Jongin’s parents right here on my friend’s first death anniversary, but we didn’t talk much. Probably that’s why I don’t even know his grandson attends the same university as you. I still kind of remember their faces, though.”

               I stare at my lap. Grandpa apologized, and it seems like now he isn’t really close with his friend’s family, so what I feared most is apparently not true. So can I really be at peace now?

               “Now, how about a nice lunch, Dana?”

               For the first time in a while, I give him an honest smile while looking at him and nod. “Sounds nice, Grandpa.”

*

               The following week, I’m hanging out with a few friends downtown and we’re visiting a makeup store. I’m separating myself to look for some tools and thankfully the corner doesn’t have many people there.

               I’m going through a rack full of puffs when I sense someone coming closer. “Oh my, is it Joo Dana?”

               I turn to my right, and my eyes catch the lilac scarf the person is wearing first. When I look up, I finally realize who it is. “Hel-hello.” I stutter. It’s Jongin’s sister whom I met at the cemetery on Christmas.

               “Hi. It’s me, Kim Hyein! We met before.” she touches my arm softly, and I can feel her warmth through my clothing. 

               “Ah, yes.” I try to smile and my face muscles feel stiff. “Kim Jongin’s sister.”

               “Yes!” she looks so happy that I recognized her. “Are you alone?”

               “I’m with my friends. How about you?”

               “I’m with my husband but he’s in the store next door. I just finished buying pregnancy vitamins and wanted to drop by here.” she jumps a bit on her spot happily. It’s not really seen yet, maybe she’s in her early stages. 

               I give her a smile. “I wish you a safe delivery.”

               “You are so nice.” Hyein still has her hand on my arm, pressing harder. I really don’t expect this kind of treatment from her - I thought in her eyes I’m portrayed as a problematic kid who was crazy enough to cut herself. “Anyway, Jongin only spoke about the incident recently to me.”

               My lips part. “Incident?”

               “The mugger! Are you okay now?” Hyein sounds concerned.

               “I’m… It’s getting better.”

               “Gosh, it must be scary for you. I’m glad you’re okay.” she sighs. “So apparently you’ve been going to the same school with him all this time… Jongin said nothing at all.”

               “Well… I think we both feel no need to tell it to our families… Considering what happened a few years back.” I say the latter part quietly.

               Hyein breathes out audibly. “You two shouldn’t have experienced that. Both of what happened.” she shakes her head. “I hope you two only experience good things from now on.”

               Not going to lie, that touched me a little. “Thank you so much. You too.”

               Hyein grins and pats my shoulder. “We should hang out sometime, don’t you think?”

               I swallow, and form an awkward smile. As someone with a strong let’s-cut-ties-with-Kim-Jongin-again agenda, I don’t think that’s a good idea.

*

               The final presentation for Professor Han’s class is a few days after New Year, and Jongin and I met at the library in the morning before the last class to finish the assignment. None of us touched the topic of our Christmas encounter.

               “...and we’re done.” I say after marking the last slide to be Jongin’s part for the final presentation. “Is there anything we missed?”

               “I think that’s all.” Jongin checks his notes. “Thanks for your hard work.”

               I return the words, and begin tidying up. I feel elated today because finally I won’t have to meet him again after the night class.

               When we walked to the locker, I accidentally bumped into his side and I quickly moved away after whispering ‘sorry’. Jongin looks at my direction for a few seconds, and I feel anxious. “Why?” I ask.

               “The bandage… It’s gone? Is it healed?”

               “Oh.” I touch my upper arm. “Almost. I’m using a thinner one now.”

               He nods a few times, then moves on to get his stuff. I remember my encounter with Hyein, and I’m thinking whether to tell him or not. But why should I? Will it be TMI for someone I want to be away from after this?

               In the end we quietly went on our ways, and met again in the night class.

               The presentation went quite well, and Professor Han seems content with us. “Okay, good job. It’s a lot of work, right? So don’t lose any credits again or you’ll be trapped in my night classes.” he scribbled on our score sheet and exhaled. He ends the class, and I try not to visibly smile. I see Jongin leaving first without a word, and I look at his back. Not even a goodbye, eh? Well, it’s not like he has any obligation to do it.

               I walk out of the class with a light heart, and plan to make Mr. Gil pull over to a snack shop on our way home when I saw Jongin crouching in front of a vending machine on the first floor, looking very focused.

               I decided to walk past him, but he noticed me coming. “Joo Dana.”

               I stop on my tracks, and look at him flatly. “What?”

               He reaches out a hand, and he’s holding a can of soft drink. My mind goes blank, and I look up to see him. We’re staring at each other in silence, and he moves his hand a bit. “It’s for you.”

               I look at the can again. I slowly take it, and Jongin puts his hands into his coat pockets. “Then, I’ll get going.”

               “Thank you.” I manage to blurt it out before he walks away. He nods once, and leaves the building while I’m standing there, looking at the can emptily. Why? What’s this?

               I shake my head, and audibly exhale. It’s just a drink.