Train

Clandestine

               Nearing the end of summer classes, Sehee and I are about to leave school when a petite girl comes approaching us with a bright smile. “Hello, I’m from Forest Sciences. Would you like to participate in volunteer activities to protect the coastal forest at the seaside of Gangneung?”

               “Ooh.” I fawn at the word ‘sea’ and the girl hands us materials to read. But looking at the details, this will need a lot of energy.

               “Ah…” Sehee reads the brochure with zero spirit. “It sounds great, but I already have something scheduled around that time. Besides, I think this will be really tiring.” she adds the latter part in a lower voice.

               The brochure that was handed to me has participants’ names and pen attached to it, and I see ‘Kim Jongin - International Studies’ written on the short list. “I’d like to go.” I blurt out without hesitation.

               “What?” Sehee immediately turns to see me. “Are you sure?”

               “I think it would be fun.” I write my details on the paper, and hurriedly return it. “I haven’t gone volunteering since spring.”

               “Well then. Fighting.”

               “Thank you!” the girl bows. “I’ll contact you later!”

               I nod and smile. The girl leaves, and my smile is slowly fading. What am I doing? Did I just decide to go just because Jongin’s in it? Wow, this is bad.

*

               The volunteers are gathering at the train station a week later, and we’re going to spend two days and one night at the location. I look at the small group of people, and silently wonder where Jongin is. Should I look surprised when I see him?

               I shake my head slowly, cursing at myself. I haven’t been thinking straight since I saw him with that girl in the cafeteria. Why am I like this?

               “Joo Dana?”

               The sound comes from behind my head, and I shudder. I turn around, and Jongin is there. He’s looking casual in a plain maroon T-shirt and jeans, backpack slung to his shoulder. He looks at me emptily for a second, then smiles. “You’re volunteering too?”

               “Yeah.”

               “Whoa, didn’t think I’d see you here. Why did you want to go?”

               I blink. How can I answer that the main reason I’m here is him? “...the sea.” I say after flipping my brain.

               “Sorry?”

               “I want to see the sea.”

               “Oh, same.” Jongin nods. “I’m excited for the beach, too.”

               “Yep.”

               “Girls usually don’t sign up for this.”

               I just realized I’m the only girl other than one of the committees, Ahyoung, the petite girl from before. I swallow, and blink. “Well, it happens.”

               All of the volunteers are there, and we prepare to board the train. “...these two lines at the back are all yours. I’ll be sitting at the front right with my fellow committee.” Ahyoung points to a tall guy next to her. “You can reach out to us if you need anything.”

               I was the first one who got in, and pick the corner seat by the window. Jongin enters, and he’s looking around. I planned something, but I wasn’t sure I had the guts for it. Ah, so what. “Jongin.” I call him calmly. He turns to see me and raises his eyebrows.

               “Sit with me.”

               It starts drumming inside my chest after I said it. Wow, I did it. Jongin just coolly nods, and  puts his backpack in the compartment above our heads. He settles next to me with a relieved sigh and adjusts his seat.

               The train starts moving, and I’m catching up with a show on my phone when I hear Jongin repeatedly yawn next to me. Soon it gets silent, and when I take a peek he’s off to dreamland. 

               I continue watching, then feel something heavy fall to my shoulder. Suddenly I can’t move, and I slowly put down my phone. I can actually keep watching, but my body just freezes and I can’t concentrate. Jongin’s soft breath is heard even clearer with his head there, and the pace of my breath unconsciously follows his. It feels… warm.

               The train stops at a transit station, and the announcement wakes Jongin up. He gets to his senses, and lifts his head. “Sorry.”

               “It’s okay. As long as you don’t drool.”

               Jongin scoffs then stops. “Oh, it got on your sleeve?”

               I turn to see in panic, and Jongin laughs. Of course he’s just pranking me. Jongin stretches, and we spend the rest of the ride with small talks and sharing snacks. He still wonders why I wanted to volunteer, and I try hard to make up feasible answers.

               We arrive at the location, and go straight to the seaside. After taking a walk along the beachside for a while, we move on to the coastal forest nearby with countless pine trees. The task is actually quite simple - raking old fallen pine needles from the ground to expose the layer with nutrients so the roots can breathe - but looking at the vast area, this is going to be exhausting. We spread out to our assigned spots, and after half an hour I’m starting to regret this.

               Jongin is right next to my area, and he’s diligently doing what he’s told to do. I take a deep breath and try to clear my head. Focus, Dana, you’re here to help the environment.

               I’m struggling to put the pine needles into the large bag, and I hear footsteps approaching.

               “Didn’t they inform you how tough this would be?” Jongin’s voice is heard, and I keep my eyes on the ground. I glance at his spot, and he already finished his first bag.

               “I can do it.”

               Jongin chuckles, and helps make the bag open wide. After filling it, I need to tie it and lift it up to the pickup car nearby. 

               “I’ll tie it for you.” Jongin offers.

               “No.” I immediately refuse. “I can - “

               I lose my balance while pulling the thread, and fall bottom first. Luckily no one saw it other than Jongin, but I spent a few seconds on the ground staying still. “Ugh.”

               “Are you okay?” Jongin reaches out a hand, and I take it after exhaling audibly.

               “I am.” I pat my dirty clothes with a sigh.

               “Are you sure?”

               I try to cool down my head. “Yeah. You can go back to your spot.”

               Our day is literally raking non stop, and we finish our day with a big dinner. I went for a nighttime stroll with Ahyoung, and went back to our lodging, a community center, with the futon beds already laid down by the guys. It’s like a school field trip with eight sleeping spots spread all over the hall, distanced one feet from each other.

               Ahyoung takes the one near the wall, and I naturally settle to her side. Soon we all prepare to sleep, and Jongin takes the bed next to me and he slips into the blanket with a loud yawn. “Man, I’m beat.”

               “Me too.”

               “Good night.” he says, and lies down with his back facing me. One by one, the others follow suit, and soon the room gets quiet. We’re physically drained from today, I bet everyone’s going to sleep like a baby tonight.

               Turns out the deep sleep isn’t going smoothly as I woke up because of a loud snoring. I think it’s someone from the row behind me. I check my phone, and it’s half past three in the morning. The room is dim with a night lamp on the corner, and I close my eyes to try to fall asleep again.

               I uneasily fidget on my spot, and try not to make any sound. How can the others still sleep? The sound is earth-shattering. I lie on my side, and see Jongin next to me. He looks disturbed too, but his eyes are still closed.

               He tosses and turns a few times, then finally opens his eyes just when he faces my direction. He blinks a few times, and assesses the situation.

               He makes an annoyed expression at the snoring guy, and I laugh soundlessly. He’s staring at me for a few seconds, half-awake, then swishes his blanket.

               “Shall we go outside?” he mouths.