Beach

Clandestine

               After thinking for a second, I nod and we carefully get up as quietly as possible so as to not disturb the others.

               “Where are we going?” I whisper when we reach the porch. Jongin is seen thinking as he wears his hoodie, then shakes his head.

               “I don’t know. Just a walk.”

               We start walking outside in our sleeping attires, and the streets are completely quiet. But when we turn to the main road next to the beach, we can see a few activities from the stores and eateries. I spot an area on the border of the street and the beach, and point at it for Jongin to see. “I passed by it with Ahyoung yesterday! I think it’s nice to sit there.”

               It’s a bunch of wooden tables and chairs scattered for pedestrians who want to just sit still and enjoy the view of the sea, and across from it is a bright convenience store. How strategic. Jongin looks at it for a few seconds, and nods. “Wanna buy something to drink first?”

               We enter the convenience store, and I’m looking around. I’m currently at the beverage aisle. Suddenly an arm blocks the fridge door, and Jongin is heard clicking his tongue a few times. “Nope, Joo Dana. No alcohol.”

               “I only passed by!” I screech. Jongin laughs, and walks away.

               We go to the counter, and Jongin suspiciously eyes the beverage can on my hand. I raise it to his eyes. “Zero percent.”

               He smiles, and turns back to the cashier. After paying, we go to where the wooden tables are and there are only two tables occupied, far away from each other. We choose one that’s just as distant from the others, and Jongin opens a can of beer as we sit in front of each other.

               “Brave of you to warn me when you had it worse that time.” I squint my eyes.

               “Oh come on, one can wouldn’t hurt.”

               We enjoy the sound of the sea’s calm waves, and I can’t believe I’m currently on a dawn outing with Kim Jongin, just the two of us. I guess impulsively writing my name on that list has its perks. He’s currently facing the other side, staring at the sea.

               “How’s your… ?” Jongin asks, breaking the silence.

               I glare at him. Jongin bursts out laughing, and I throw a crumpled receipt at him lightly.

               “You fell hard! I wonder if you’re okay.”

               “I’m good, thank you.” I say bitterly.

               “Kudos for your willpower though.”

               “I could manage! It was the first time, that’s why.”

               Jongin turns on his seat to face me again. “After observing you a little bit, I think it’s either you’re a first or an only child.”

               “The latter. How do you know?”

               “You are used to take care of yourself, not wanting to take others’ help to the point of stubbornness.”

               I click my tongue. “Such a thorough analysis.”

               “Maybe that’s why you wanted Chaekyung to do the same.” Jongin adds slowly. “Because you also know people sometimes just aren’t there.”

               I feel thirsty all of a sudden, and gulp down my drink. “Sometimes, yeah.”

               “The world is cold.”

               “You’re speaking like a middle schooler in puberty.”

               Jongin laughs flatly, then suddenly he flicks my forehead like that time in the bar. This time due to the shock I can’t even utter words, and stare at him with my mouth wide open. Jongin starts laughing and reaches out again to rub my forehead lightly. “Sorry.”

               “Why are you doing this to me, really?”

               “Just because. It’s fun to be out here with you.”

               I guess because I’m currently sober, I don’t know how to react to that. I turn my head to see the sea, and think of what to say.

               “Glad to hear that, but please don’t do that again.”

               I don’t know if it’s just the sentiments of dawn and the sea, but my heart is feeling so full right now. We take sips of our drinks slowly, and Jongin coughs a little. “Do you want to take photos?”

               “Um… It’s so dark right now, though.” there are street lights near us, but I don’t think they’ll be enough to capture the sea.

               “Let’s try. Stand there.” Jongin points to the spot next to the table, making the sea as the background.

               “Aren’t you going to use my phone?”

               “I can just send it to you later, let’s do a trial first.”

               “Okay, okay.” I get up, and follow his instructions. I start laughing when I realize that we’re basically in our pajamas. “God, I’m barefaced right now.”

               Jongin concentrates on the camera, and experiments with the flash. “It’s alright, you look pretty.”

               I try hard to keep my face expressionless. Calm down, they might just be empty words. “How is it?”

               “I think they’re decent. Can you take mine? Keep the settings like this, and from this height.” Jongin carefully keeps the phone in an exact position as I take over. He’s doing his poses again - not looking at the camera. But he aces the poses though - he’s good at taking what people call as boyfriend photos. Joo Dana, what are you thinking?

               I try to focus and take more pics. “Hey, it reminds me of that time.” I say after I finish.

               “When we got lost?” Jongin scoffs. We laugh, and Jongin drags his half-empty can to the center of the table. “Shall we try leaning the phone here?”

               “What for?” I’m a little confused.

               “So we can take pictures together.”

               “...oh.” I blank out a little, and balance the phone in front of the can. We switch it to selfie mode and try to find a good angle.

               “Alright…” Jongin says as he steps backwards. “How about here?”

               I stand next to him, and try to see our preview on the small screen. “Wait, move a little bit to the right.”

               We struggle to put ourselves in the center, and I push and pull Jongin by his hoodie to make him stand correctly. “Are you doing this on purpose? I think you just want to drag me around.” he starts complaining.

               “No, no.” I laugh loudly. “Okay, let’s go.”

               At first we were kind of stiff, not knowing how to pose but soon we loosen up and strike silly poses. We’re already dressed like this, let’s just do the most of it. The air is filled with laughs and little screams to see our nonsense photos.

               “Okay, one more.” Jongin takes off his hood and runs his fingers through his hair, messing it up on purpose. “Come here, Joo Dana.”

               We’re closer to the phone than before now. He has one arm around my shoulders, and my heart skips a beat. Oh no, I shouldn’t look shocked - I end up grinning widely with a V, and the camera clicks.

               “Wow, we look crazy.” Jongin comments as he checks the photos while sitting side by side with our shoulders sticking to each other, and we giggle.

               “Send them to me, send them to me!”

               “Be patient, Joo Dana.”

               “Don’t share those to anyone else, we’re just going to ruin ourselves.”

               Jongin cackles, and shakes his head. “I won’t, this is just our little secret.”

               The side of his body feels warm amidst the cool wind, and I’m so happy right now.

*

              Later on the train back to Seoul, Jongin is sitting beside me again and I’m calmly drinking my iced coffee when my phone lets out multiple consecutive beeps. It’s Sehee, and her first message is the group photo from the coastal forest yesterday that I just posted on my social media. Jongin and I are next to each other there.

 

So this is why you wanted to go

Girl, you got it bad

Please tell me you did other things with him

Or I’ll be very disappointed

 

               I reply with “Many things.” and put my phone in silence afterwards. A smile starts blooming on my face, but I press my lips together. I want to see the photos of us again from earlier today, but I’m afraid Jongin would see my screen. Be patient, I can look at them as much as I want soon.

               Jongin is napping again during the ride, and he’s asleep all the way until Seoul. As we walk to the arrival gate, I really want to ask if he wants to grab a meal together but he’s been glued to his phone since we got off.

               Finally he puts his phone down, but he immediately looks around as if he’s looking for something.

               “Um, Jongin -”

               He spots something or someone near the gate, and raises his hand to wave. I follow his eyes, and see a girl waving back at him. Wait - isn't it the girl I saw in the cafeteria from that time? She’s using the same cream-colored bag.

               “I’ll get going first, Joo Dana!” he says cheerily, and half-runs to the girl. He greets her by patting her head as they walk away, and I look at their backs with lips slightly parted.