Villa

Clandestine

               The new semester starts, and Sehee presses me about Jongin any chance she gets. “Can you two just please be together already? You’re clearly smitten.” she says in a cafe between classes. I pick out an ice cube with my straw and devour it, purposely giving myself a brain freeze.

               “I don’t know…”

               “Oh dear. If you mention anything about the past again, I will end you. There’s literally no rule that says you two can’t date.” Sehee massages her head.

               “What if he doesn’t want to be anything more than a friend? I barely get a passing grade from being one, with my list of stupidities.”

               “The only way to know is to confess. Or just ask him.”

               I shudder just thinking about it. “How can I do it? I’m scared I’d end up feeling miserable.”

               “Now that you’re playing the friend card well, just hang out more and pick up the signs. If he feels the same way, you’ll find out.”

               I sigh. How can I ask him to meet again? I have no more excuses with classes coming up. Should I utilize Hyein?

               “It’s amazing that you two have come a long way, though. I remember how icy he was when you started taking the winter class together.” Sehee reminisces.

               Near the end of the week, Sehee and I are sitting on a bench on the campus open area when Kwon Soonyoung, Sehee’s high school junior who went with me to Jongin’s apartment that time, comes approaching excitedly. “Hello, pretty noonas.”

               “We’re not buying anything you’re selling.” Sehee says.

               He dramatically gets on one knee. “I have an irresistible offer. My friends and I are renting a beautiful villa for a weekend escape in the suburbs. It will be super if you two can come. And more people, of your choice.”

               “You need more people to split the rent, don’t you?” I’m guessing.

               Soonyoung gives us his best eye smile, and Sehee shakes her head.

               “The more the merrier. You won’t regret it. The villa is by a breathtaking lake, and -”

               He explains the villa and the people he invites, and for a split second I’m thinking about Jongin. Isn’t he close with Soonyoung? Is he invited?

               “...wait, after seeing Dana noona, I just remember I haven’t asked Jongin hyung.” Soonyoung gasps and gets up.

               “Even this kid connects him with you.” Sehee whispers. “Hey, ask him now. There’s a great chance of us coming if he does.”

               I send a warning glare at her, and Sehee smirks. Soonyoung pulls out his phone and I get unnecessarily anxious.

               Soonyoung puts the call on speaker, and Jongin picks up. “Hello?”

               “Hyung!” Soonyoung energetically shouts. “So here’s the thing - “

               He explains the situation, and glances at us. “I’m with Dana and Sehee noona from Political Science. They say they’ll come if you do.”

               My mouth opens. “I didn’t say that!”

               Jongin is heard laughing from the other side, and it’s silent for a while. “Well, I’ll come if Dana comes.”

               Sehee slaps my upper arm and lets out a muffled screech. “She’s coming, don’t worry!” Sehee yells to the phone. Soonyoung ends the call, and here I am feeling dizzy.

               “Thank me later.” Sehee says.

*

               It’s the day to go to the lakeside villa, and it’s located in a quiet area far away from the other houses. The road leading there is filled with trees in yellowish leaves as far as eyes can see. It’s really autumn.

               Sehee couldn’t go because of stomach pains, but Soonyoung managed to find a replacement. There are twelve people that he succeeded in gathering, and Jongin arrived in the car behind me a few minutes after I did.

               “Hey.” Jongin says after he hops down from the car, and I smile.

               “Hi.”

               “Wow, look at this villa. That kid Soonyoung doesn’t disappoint.” Jongin nods at the sturdy two-story wooden building as we walk from the parking area. “The lake reminds me of Seosan, doesn’t it?”

               I laugh. “This one has no border, though. You can swim in there if you want.”

               “In this weather?” Jongin shivers. “No thanks.”

               “Oh, who is this?” Aram, a senior who was in the same car with me, spots Jongin. I introduce him to her, and she happily shakes his hand. “You two look close.”

               “We’ve known each other since a looong time ago.” Jongin looks at me, and I avoid his eyes.

               We come inside to check out the rooms, and Aram asks me to be roommates. Jongin chose a room right across ours, and Aram curiously asks. “Hey, Kim Jongin. Did you get a roommate yet?”

               “It’s Jung Kiseok senior. But he still has things to do in Seoul, and will probably arrive tomorrow morning.”

               “You’re alone then. Shall I accompany you?” Aram laughs loudly, and I look in her direction. “I’m just joking! Go inside.”

               Jongin laughs along, and excuses himself. Aram and I enter our room and she throws herself to the bed. “Wow, he’s hot. Do you think he likes older women?”

               I cough. “I - I’m not sure.”

               “I thought you’d know his preferences. Didn’t he say you two have known each other for a long time? How long?”

               “Um… Middle school.” I swallow.

               “Wow. I should’ve come to school more often to see him, I skip classes too much.”

               I let out a polite laugh, and go to the bathroom. I’m emptily staring at the shower stall and exhale. Stay calm, Dana.

               After resting, we go outside again and see some of the guys playing soccer on the lakeside including Jongin. The others are either walking around the villa or taking pictures. I decide to take out my camera as well, and observe the view.

               Suddenly there’s a splash sound and gasps are heard. I turn around, and see someone climbing up from the lake. It’s Jongin. “Oh my God.” I whisper to myself. He has a wide smile on his face, I guess he’s okay?

               He’s signaling to the others to go inside first, and I walk closer. “Are you okay?”

               He’s drenched from head to toe, and he grins. “I slipped. I’m good, I’ll go change first.”

               I quiver, thinking how cold it must be. Jongin dashes inside, and I look at his disappearing back.

               I get anxious, and decide I’ll check on him. His door is half-closed, and I knock. “Jongin, is everything okay?”

               The door is swished open, and Jongin is covering his upper body with a towel. My eyes widen at his slightly exposed collarbone, and I look up to see his eyes. “Hey, Dana - wait, let me put on some clothes first.”

               “Okay.” I mumble. “I’ll get you a warm beverage.”

               After making a cup of tea, I come back to his room and he’s dressed in dry clothes. He takes the tea and thanks me. He takes a sip, and puts the cup on the table.

               “Whoa, it’s really cold. It’s even colder after I get out of the water.” he makes little jumps, trying to keep moving. He folds his arms on his chest tightly, and I can see him gritting his teeth.

               I look at him in worry, and he’s shivering a bit. I’m thinking of what I can do. He still looks cold, and I suddenly remember a scene from something I watched a few years ago. But can I do that to Jongin though? But look at him, he’s trembling -

               “Jongin.” I stand in front of him. “I don’t know if this will help, but -”

               I slide my arms around his waist, and pull him closer to wrap him in a hug. His skin feels chilly. I can feel his heartbeats on my chest, and my own is rising right now. I have my chin on his shoulder, and I try to control my breath.

               “I saw somewhere - this might work… Transferring body heat.”

               Jongin isn’t saying a word, and I start to get nervous. At first he feels stiff, but soon he loosens up. His damp hair brushes against my neck, and my jaw tightens. This is something I have never experienced before.

               He lets his head down to my shoulder, and his soft breath is all I hear.