Terrace

Clandestine

               “Oh my God!” I practically jumped down from the bed and pulled the blanket with me. I try to assess my surroundings. I’m fully clothed, and so is  Jongin. It’s still early morning, judging from the view on the window. Most importantly, I’m in Kim Jongin’s bedroom. Again.

               Jongin squirms in his sleep, and soon he opens his eyes. I take a few steps back nearing the door and look at him in horror. He’s holding onto his forehead, and groans. He blinks repeatedly, trying to see and eventually notices my presence. “Joo Dana?”

               “Why am I here?!”

               Jongin closes his eyes again, looking lightheaded. “Why are you here?”

               I look around his room, and there isn’t any sign of unusual activities. My head starts spinning, and I plop down to the floor. “Oh God.”

               Jongin attempts to get up, and sits on his bed. “What happened to us?”

               “I don’t know.” I stay on the floor, irritated. “Don’t you remember anything?”

               He rubs his face, and tries to think. “Nothing.” his hair is completely disheveled, and I get conscious of my own. I try to comb mine with my fingers but realize it’s not the time.

               “I’m going home.” I stand up, and storm out of the bedroom. I’m looking for my bag, and it’s lying on the floor in front of the shoe rack by the entrance. “God, what a mess -”

               Jongin comes out from the bedroom as well, hand still sticking to his head. “I really don’t remember a thing.”

               “So do I, and I’m so mad.” I screech and pick up my bag. I check the content and don’t find my phone anywhere. It’s not in my pockets. “Can you call my phone?”

               Jongin’s soul is still not here, and he shakes his head hard to wake up. “Wait - wait.” he walks around to search for his phone, but after a few frustrating minutes, he comes back with nothing. “Did we leave them at the bar?”

               My head starts hurting again, and I hold onto the nearest wall. “I’m coming back there.”

               “Hold on - me too.” Jongin says. “Just let me drink some water first. Don’t you need some too?”

               Right - my throat is parched. I hesitantly nod, and Jongin takes out two glasses. I keep scraping for possible memories from last night. Just how did I end up here?

               “Nothing happened, right?” I whisper. Jongin stops pouring water, and sighs audibly.

               “I didn’t do anything. Did you?”

               I glare at him. “Why would I?”

               “Let’s just go and find our phones.”

               We go out from the unit, and spot a man in his 40’s from next door who seems to just come back from a morning walk. “Aigoo, a fun night, wasn’t it?”

               Jongin and I look at him anxiously. “Did you see something, Sir?” I ask, suspicious.

               “I was taking out the trash last night. You, young man, were completely knocked out. Your girlfriend was the one who carried you up and punched in the password.”

               Suddenly a blurry memory of the keypad and a vivid feeling of Jongin on my shoulders come to my mind. I can still feel his weight. I clench my jaw, and head to the stairs.

               Jongin soon catches up from behind me, and we head to the bar on foot. “You still remember the password?”

               “You need to change that - it’s too easy.”

               “I think I remember coming home with you. But during that time I couldn’t move my body. I thought you left after that.”

               I groan. “I’m just relieved we did nothing but sleep.”

               We arrive at the bar, and it’s closed but we can see someone cleaning inside. “Hello?”

               A male employee with a lazy face opens the door and looks at us with a frown. “Can I help you?”

               “I think we lost our phones here last night. Can you check it for us?”

               “Ah.” he takes turns looking at me and Jongin. “I remember you two. You sure could hold your liquor. Well, every night we have various things getting forgotten, but the lost and found locker’s lock is with the owner and he’s gone shopping for now.”

               “When will he be back?”

               “It’s been quite awhile, I think he’ll be here soon. Would you want to wait?”

               “Yeah.”

               “But to make sure, you probably want to check the CCTV footage. In case you didn’t actually leave them here.”

               “If we may.” I say. I might see something that can lead to how I ended up in Jongin’s place.

               The employee brings us to behind the counter where there’s a small monitor for the CCTV. There’s only one angle, planted right over the bar counter and it oversees the whole bar and a part of the terrace.

               “I think you were here until around midnight… So I’ll just fast forward the recording…”

               Jongin and I warily wait behind his back, and I see the bar was getting more crowded as the night passed from the monitor. I spot Jongin and myself sitting in front of each other right next to the window. My back was facing the camera and the table was covered most of the time.

               We skip parts of the recording, and we were indeed drinking for a long time. Our movements started to be exaggerated, and we looked like we laughed a lot. What did we even talk about? Up to our arranged marriage meeting, I still recall it. At one point I couldn’t even get my head to stay still on my neck.

               Finally last night’s Jongin and I left the table, and we were staggering so much that we needed to grab each other to walk. The recording is quite grainy so I can’t clearly see what’s actually on the table other than the glasses and bottles. Is it a phone or an ashtray? Was there one last night? Let’s keep watching, maybe outside I was seen calling a taxi or something…

               We were seen giggling at each other as we walked out from the bar, and we stood in front of each other at the terrace. Jongin and I looked so… Happy. He had his arms on my waist, and I’m holding onto his elbows. What the hell were we even doing?

               Suddenly last night’s me tiptoed and tilted her head to kiss Jongin, and Jongin kissed me back.

               I let out a loud gasp, and the employee shudders. He slowly turns to me and I cover my mouth with both hands. “Is there… Something wrong, Miss?”

               The door is opened, and the bell rings. Someone enters the bar and the employee gets out from the counter. “Sir, did you perhaps find phones from last night? These two customers…”

               I know I shouldn’t keep looking at the screen, but Jongin and I both freeze in front of the monitor. The kiss lasted for quite awhile, and after we separated ourselves, we were seen laughing again. We were gone from the screen, and so are our souls in the present time.

               “...one was on the table and the other was on the floor… Sir? Miss?”

               I let down my hands, not realizing the employee and the bar owner have gone in and out the back office. They have both of our phones.

               “Thank you so much.” I snatch mine in a flash, and speedwalk to the door. “Oh my -”

               Once outside, I glance at the terrace and my mind is in a whirl. I start walking as fast as I can and Jongin soon follows. “How can you leave like that -”

               “Oh God, oh God, oh God, oh God -”

               “Hey, Joo Dana.”

               “What?! How can you be so calm?”

               “Well - we kissed, so what? We were drunk. Why are you so worked up?”

               I turn my neck to Jongin’s direction in slow motion, lips part in complete disbelief. “Because we’re definitely not supposed to?!”

               “You don’t have to act like it’s the most horrendous thing of your life.”

               “But it’s -” my heart beat starts rising and I try to control my breath. “I shouldn’t have gotten drunk with you - I shouldn’t have hung out with you at all.” I mutter.

               “Alright, then.” Jongin takes a big step forward and faces my direction. “Let’s not meet again.”

               “Wait, I mean -”

               Jongin turns his back on me, and starts walking away. Due to the surprise, I lose the energy to move or even talk.

               I hang my head down, and exhale loudly. This headache is just getting worse.