Chapter 2: Korea: The Sanctuary

Escaping to Shinee's dorm

 

The next thing I knew, I saw sunlight and heard a yell of shock and surprise.

“당신은누구입니까?”

 It was just a bunch of words I did not understand.

“I am sorry. Do you speak English?” I tried; maybe someone might speak English even in Korea

“Hi, who are you? What are you doing there?” One voice spoke. The man was tall, small eyes, bright smile. He was like a star. Behind him, stood 4 guys with face features that sparkle, in other words, they look “wow”.

“I mean no harm, but I just need somewhere to stay. I will explain everything.” I begged.

 “What is going on, Onew? Please move before the fans gather,” A man, who just stepped out of the car, spoke in Korean. Ah, so this guy is called Onew? What a weird name.

“Please step inside first, miss.” Onew suggested, smiling in a very friendly way, a very good first impression. I quickly scrambled out of the car, before they could change their mind.

I was handed a cup of tea, it warmed me up. It was October now, the autumn season in Korea.

In the kitchen, they discussed. They might be deciding whether to throw me out this instant or at least listen to me first. I was hoping for the latter.

 “Please tell us why you are in our car. Are you a fan?” Onew spoke softly in English.

I told them, I was robbed and had no choice. The past wouldn’t matter to them; I am going to leave as soon as I earn money anyway.

They seemed to believe as Onew translated my story for them in Korean, except one was looking unpleasantly unhappy.

“Well, she can’t stay here. We are idols. Can’t we just buy her a ticket home?”  One said coldly, throwing me a skeptical look. I knew what that meant, a straight NO. But I had to try even anything right?

“You know I can be of help in this house if you like, I can work for you and earn expenses for living. Once I earned enough money, I will leave.” I tried, thinking of any other alternative that would convince them I could stay.

“Well that is not for me to decide. Please excuse us, miss.” Onew frowned. They were back at the kitchen, counseling.

I sat there, thinking hard. My ability to bring past and future versions of oneself back to the present was a natural talent to me, but it was like a roadblock now. I can’t see any freaking thing. Why? I can’t even use my powers here? Was it a permanent thing? I wanted to see, and I needed to see. I concentrated hard, creased formed on my forehead. Nothing, absolutely nothing but darkness…

Hmm, alright...” Onew concluded, walking back into the living room.

“Miss, we are making an exception, because our current helper quitted on short notice, so we allow you to stay, as our domestic helper. However, only on temporary basis, we need you to sign a contract. Is that alright?” Onew smiled brightly at me.

“Yes, tha...thank you so much” I chocked on words, taken back by their words. I was sure I was going to be kicked out.

Then, I had a chance to finally look at them closely. To my surprise, they were the ones I met at the airport back at Singapore. The same ones who caused the crowd to gather and ones that took the same plane. What a small world.

 “We have discussed that you will be sleeping in the living room on the sofa, all the rooms are full. I hope you don’t mind.” Onew said. I simply nodded my head.

“Let me introduce the family,” Onew continued.

“I am Minho,” The guy next to me, grinning.

“Taemin,” the youngest guy bowed to me.

“Key here,” the guy with a lot of style in fashion smiled.

 “And lastly this is Jonghyun.” Onew introduced, grimacing at the last guy, who I recognized, was the guy who I bumped into. He merely nodded, emotionless.

“Hi, I am Paige.” I introduced myself to them.

“Welcome, Paige,” Onew smiled, “Our manager here will list down the things you need to do, just follow his instructions alright?”

“Alright, thank you,” I smiled back. I was safe and sound for now; at least I had a roof over my head and no men in black suit guarding. This was enough for me. Being alone in the strange living room, I never let my guard down. My first night here was torturous, nightmares, and waking up in the middle of the night.