School Dance

The one and only Drama Queen ♥

I surveyed myself in the mirror. I wore a short, attention-getting red silk dress that went well with my long dark hair. It had been atrociously expensive but worth every penny. I needed all the confidence I could muster for what was sure to be an hour of hell. It was too late to back down.

I grabbed my keys and yelled to mom, who was in her hom office, 'working' on a Friday night. Which probably checking out Match.com profiles and playing solitaire.

"I'm leaving now." I hollered.

"Have fun," she said. "And be careful out there. Don't get home too late."

"I will. Bye, mom."

Dongwoon answered the door when I went by to pick up Haemi.

"Mihyo, come in." he said. "Where were you two headed tonight?"

Haemi appeared in the doorway behind him, "None of your business."

She wore a deep purple dress and her red-ish hair was gathered up into a cascade of curls.

Dongwoon looked from me to his sister. "School dance?" he guessed easily. "Where are your dates?"

"No dates, just us." I said tersely.

I braced myself for a caustic retort, but he only smiled and said, "See you there."

"What do you mean by that?" Haemi gave him an exasperated stare. "You never go to school dances. Like ever."

"I am tonight." he replied.

I wondered who his date was. I hadn't heard that he was seeing anyone seriously.

Haemi pointed to her watch. "Let's get this over with. If we hurry, you can buy me a shake afterwards at Cube."

She strode out the door and I shrugged and followed her.

As we pulled into the parking lot, I spotted Minwoo and Soori getting out of his car. She wore a black dress, cut pratically to her belly button and had her hair scrapped back into a severe style. She looked like she was in mourning at a stripper's funeral, but it was a look that worked on her.

Suddenly, I felt overdressed in my red silk number. Soori had that effect on me.

"It's not too late to back out." Haemi said. "You look like you're going to hurl."

"I'll be fine. I'm not going to let Kim Soori scare me off." I said.

"Sure you don't want to change your mind?"

"Yes, I'm sure." I said. "But let's wait a few minutes before we go inside. I don't want people to think I'm stalking them."

The dance was being held in the school gym, and as we walked up, I could hear the music through the double doors.

Jiyoon was taking tickets at the front. I handed her our stubs. "Hi, Jiyoon."

"Mihyo," she said.  "How nice to see you." It didn't sound like she really thought it was nice to see me. In fact, it sounded like she wished I was anywhere but right in front of her. She peered behind me to see who I was with, I was sure. "Oh, hi, Haemi."

Haemi gave her a civil reply, but I could tell it took an effort. I couldn't really blame her. She and Jiyoon had never gotten along.

As always, there was a cluster of freshman girls already there, hugging the wall, trying to look like they were having fun with their friends. We found a spot as far away from the air of desperation as possible.

Inside, we watched couple after couple as they streamed into the gym. Finally, a group of rowdy guy, including Yong Junhyung, walked in and started to checked out some girls. No wonder Dongwoon hates them.

Half an hour later, I was standing alone. Almost as soon as we got there, Haemi had been asked to dance by Junhee-from-her-art-class. He was cute, despite the facial hair. And I was right -- Haemi definitely seemed into him.

I still hadn't seen Dongwoon arrive, but I pretended not to care, even though I was really dying to know who he was dating. I could have asked Haemi, but that might have sent her into a complete frenzy.

Minwoo and Soori weren't dancing. Instead, they were holding court at a large table, which was surrounded by people wanting to bask in the glory of the new power couple.

I turned away, I hate to admit it, but it hurt to see him with someone else. I wondered if he ever missed me, even a little bit like, 'My shirt is purple. Mihyo likes purple.' something like that. Or maybe he thought me as this total pain in the he was glad to get rid of.

Junhyung approached me. "Mihyo, would you like to dance?"

It was a fast song playing, So I didn't have to worry about unwanted groping. Besides, it was better than standing there alone.

He was a good dancer and only tried to put his hand on my once. He even seemed to get a hint when I shot him a dirty look and moved away. He didn't try it again and even muttered, "Sorry."

The song ended and Junhyung and I exchanged those awkward looks, the kind where you have no idea what to do next.

"Would you like something to drink?" He asked. He wasn't so bad after all, I thought complacently. You just needed to know how to handle him.

"Yes, thank you." I beamed at him. I was on my best behavior.

Junhyung was being pleasant too, and I felt comfort knowing I had at least one admirer. 

I avoided glancing in Soori's direction, where several eligible guys were now buzzing around her like honeybees to a rose

Minwoo looked like someone was trying to take his last cookie. Funny, it had never seemed to bother him when guys talked to me.

I sighed. He must be really in love with her.

 

______________________________

YOU GUYS DON'T NEED TO READ THIS IF YOU DON'T WANT TO. IT'S NOT IMPORTANT. I'M JUST BORED. LOL

A/n: Hello. If you guys did want to read this, I just wanna tell you that this story still have so many chapters to go. I predict that it will be more than 30 chapters. But I will try to make it shorter though. keke I don't know why but there's a lot of ideas came up into my mind for this story.

If you guys are having a hard time understanding this story, try to imagine High School Musical, Glee and Heartstrings mixed up together into one movie. lol! I mean, this whole drama and musical thingy, the new and talented kid, plus the girl who never want to lose, I got inspired from those three stories :)

Anyway, there is still part 2 for this School Dance chapter. LOL just a teaser :p

And what do you think of this story so far? Have some opinions for the story line? Just tell me.

Okay, that's all. It's 4.50am here and I need my beauty sleep! Just kidding. I am already a beauty why do I need beauty sleep?. k,bye! xoxo