Finding a date

The one and only Drama Queen ♥

The next week, didn't get any better, for me atleast.

Seoul High was having a back-to-school dance and I was supposed to be part of the entertainment commitee, along with Eunrim, Gayoon, Jiyoon and their minions. But no one called me about volunteering.

Screw that, no one called me to the dance, either.

I knew it sounded paranoid, but I felt like everyone was avoiding me. 

I ran into Eunrim coming out of her fifth-period class. I gestured toward the poster hanging on a nearby wall that was designed by Eunrim and the others. "Nice artwork." I said mildly.

Eunrim looked like she wanted to be anywhere except standing next to me, but she managed to work up feeble smile. "Hi, Mihyo, how have you been?"

I raised an eyebrow. "With all the time on my hands, I'm doing good."

"W-w-we wanted to call you," she sturtted, "But we thought with the breakup and all, having you work on the dance when you won't even going to it seemed insensitive."

"Who said I'm not going?" 

"I just assumed." she faltered under my gaze.

"Well, you assumed wrong." I replied.

Eunrim smiled brightly. "Mihyo, that's great news! I'm so relieved. It will make things much easier."

"Easier?"

"You know, we've been spending time with Minwoo... and Soori." she hesitated for a moment at my expression, but then continued. "But it'll be much tidier if you have someone new too."

"Tidier?" I sounded like a fool, repeating her every word, but I couldn't really understand what was she trying to tell me.

"Maybe we can all get together afterward. Minwoo is hosting the after party. It's exclusive. Just six of the top couples. And of course, you and your date."

"Date? I don't have a date." I blurted it out and knew I'd made a mistake when I saw a pity look on her face.

"You're going to the dance alone?" Kim Hyuna's voice broke into our conversations.

I squared my chin and gave her my best icy stare. "Was I speaking to you?". Inside, I was squirming. It would be all over school by sixth period, with Hyuna's special spin. I could already hear it now; Han Mihyo couldn't get a date for the dance. Poor thing. She's just so over since Minwoo dumped her.

I'd have to figure out something quickly. I said goodbye to Eunrim and pointedly ignored Hyuna, who could barely conceal her impatience to spread the word that I was going to stag the dance.

I caught up with Haemi at rehearsel. She was busy bullying some guy who can't memorize his lines.

"For god's sake, don't you know any of your lines yet?!" Haemi yelled at him. She spotted me and rolled her eyes, "Mr.Hwang picks them pretty but dumb."

She ignored that guy's "Hey, I'm standing right here."

It was the perfect time to ask her for a favor. Nothing put her in better mood than yelling at cast members about their lines.

"I need to talk to you." I said.

"Why do those words send a shiver down my spine?" she asked.

"I want you to go to the dance with me." I said, straight to the point. I'd never missed a "school dance and I will not miss it this year.

"No way." she replied. "I'd rather chew my own arm than go to a high school dance."

"But Haemi-" 

"No."

When she showed no signs of budging, I resorted to pleading. "Please, please, please?"

She sighed. "What happened now?"

"I admit it. My mouth got me intotrouble again."

"Again? You should say as usual." she said. But she was smiling which meant there was a chance of convincing her. I could be very convincing.

Words sure spread fast in this school. On Wednesday, a lanky boy with a stoner eyes and great hair walked up to me. "I hear you need a date for the dance." he said. His friends, who were hovering in the background snickered.

"Aren't you a freshman?" I asked.

"You've seen me around, then?"

"I think my cousin used to babysit you." I said. "Your face cleared up nicely."

He made a hasty retreat as his friends burst into gales of laughter.

"Since when do freshmens have the nerve to ask me out?" I mutterd to Haemi, who was barely refraining from laughing.

"Since they heard you were going with me." she replied. She was going with me with the agreement that we would only put in a brief appearance and leave.

"Maybe Junhee will be there." I said.

She blushed. Lee Junhee was this guy in her art class, and I could tell from the way she talked about him that she liked him.

"Cheer up. It'll be fun." I said. "I promise."

It turned out to be the farthest thing from fun imaginable.

 

 

 

___________________________________

A/n: Lee Junhee is a fictional character :)