Chapter 31

One Month Later In My Dreams

 

“So that’s what I’ve done so far,” I said, pacing outside of the school as I waited for my mom to pick me up from math club. I was talking to Kyra through the phone.

“Wow,” She breathed out. “Your romantic life is a lot like a Korean drama. Although, you’re a smart girl character and your life isn’t littered with the most random moments.”

I groaned. “I know right? And it’s almost like I don’t know what to do now. I really want to give up-but I can’t really make myself stop liking him. Did I tell you about the dream I had last night?”

“What was that?”

“We were sitting in the same room together, working on something different. He’s sitting on my left, at a square table. He gets up tells me he has to go, and I’m like, ‘Okay, see ya later.’ When he walks out of sight, I hear his voice behind me asking me if we’re just friends. I’m like, what do you mean, just friends? He’s like, ‘You don’t think less of me because of who I am, right?’ I then had to stand up and face him, saying, ‘No, I don’t. I like who you are. Everything about you is admirable.’ And he goes, “So you wouldn’t mind having me?’ My reply of course is, ‘Like you have to ask.’ And then we kissed. Of course, I had to wake up right when our lips touched.”

“Oh my god! Wow, this must been something-how many dreams now?

“Seven-but this one has been the most important one. And it’s crazy-I haven’t even had my first kiss yet, and I’m dreaming about it. Every time I start not liking him, he’ll do something great so I start dreaming, and then I like him again, and the crush just lasts forever.”

There was silence for awhile. “Sorry, I had to get something for my mom and it’s hard to reach. How long have you been liking him so far?”

“Hmm…Well considering it’s March already…two months? It’s not a lot though. The crush before this one probably lasted three months or more. My record so far is six months.”

“Six months?!” Kyra yelped through the phone. “My record is a week! Guys here are so boring that I can’t help it but stop liking them.”

“You’re so lucky! No wonder you’re carefree half of the time.”

“I know, but it gets so annoying when guys try to ask me out. Trust me, being hit on is not a pleasant experience.”

“Thanks, oh hot one.” I giggled.

“It’s not funny! Remember when Dwaine looked down my shirt in 7th grade?”

“Yup. Everyone stayed away from her after that. Even Jeanine, who had a crush on him for three months at that time?”

“Good thing too.” I heard Kyra exhale. “God, I miss you.”

“I miss you too. I’m so sorry I don’t talk to you enough. You know me and the internet-so inseparable that I’m forced to be apart from it. Not to mention homework. These teachers are out to get me.”

“Tell me about it. The only class I like now is Chinese. My math teacher is a joke-she won’t give me notes on the days I miss class. Can you believe that?”

“I can’t believe you have two campuses for school.” I started pacing back and forth. “I can barely handle one with all the books I have to carry. I don’t know how people survive all four years, and go on to college.”

“I actually can’t wait for college. I want to get out of this place so bad. Remember our project- a trip to Asia after graduation, remember?”

“I remember. It’s just so, so hard to get a job here. It’s killing me.” I saw my mom’s car drive up, just as I felt a droplet of water fall on my head. Of course it has to rain. “Got to go-my ride is here. Thanks for hearing me out.”

“No problem. Wo ai ni mei mei!”

“Saranghaeyo unnie! Bye!” I snapped the phone shut and got my backpack on. I walked to circle as my mom’s car pulled up.

“Thanks mom. I was about to call you.” I slid my choir folder with my other textbooks under my feet.

“No problem. How was school?”

“Good.”

“Anything special?”

I almost grinned. Should I tell her about my love scheme? Of course not. She would freak out. I could only talk to her about love when I didn’t have to worry about her scrutinizing my Facebook profile. She already was trying me to get to spy on my sister’s boyfriend’s wall.

“Nope. Nothing special. Just math club.”