Chapter 21

One Month Later In My Dreams

The choir folders are outside the choir room, which I cross to get there. The class before is closer to the choir room, which is why I do that.

As I went to get my folder, I almost froze in misstep. Right on Onew’s folder was the pink post-it.

Crap. He hadn’t looked at it. I would have to go to side plan-the one where I had to pretend I had no idea. I slowly walked over to my folder, fumbled with it just to stall, and then walked to my seat.

By then, almost everyone was on the risers. I peeked at his folder. The post-it was now hidden in the pockets.

Whew.

Right during a break during choir class, Jeanine leaned over. “Hey, Sonya, did you hear about Onew’s secret admirer?”

“I heard about the flower…” I realized we were talking about Onew like he wasn’t there, and turned to him. “Didn’t you get it in English or something?”

He blinked. “Yeah.”

“And now he’s got a post-it!” Jeanine gushed. “It’s written in cursive, and talks about a song from 2009! Isn’t it so romantic?”

The junior who sat below us grinned up. “Sorry, I couldn’t help listening, but I love notes written in cursive.”

“I’m surprised that people still know how to write in cursive,” I put in. “I mean, I learned in 3rdgrade, but since then I’ve just written in print.”

Onew had stayed silent throughout all of this, so I turned to him. “So, what did the flower say?”

He smiled. “Well, it had notes, like on a scale, spelling out Happy Valentine’s Day. And then it said, Love music plays whenever I’m around you.”

“Aw, that’s cute,” I said, trying to ignore the squeals inside of me. He was talking about the flower! My flower!

“Yeah.”

“Do you still have it?”

He shrugged. “Yeah, although it’s kinda messed up now. I accidentally stepped on it, and then someone else-“

The teacher walked back into the room, and we all snapped to attention. Somehow my stomach quieted down.

But throughout the rest of the day, I would tingle and tremble for no reason at all.