It's Not Love...Is It? // Chapter 1: SS501

It's Not Love...Is It?

[1]

SS501

It all started maybe a few months ago. At that time, my parents were busy fighting over custody rights of me, a normal 14 year old girl. Now you’re probably thinking “Wow, you seem pretty calm for someone so young experiencing loss of family.” Well not really. I’m kinda tired of it now. Besides, the only happiness I can achieve from either parent is money (if that even counts.) Both of them are huge millionaires, the typical ones that work their butts off for nothing.

During the extended period of time where the court debates over who keeps me for the time until I’m 16 and legally allowed to live alone, I am going to take an all expense paid trip to Korea to visit my very very very distant cousin. Somehow related by aunts, uncles, and grandparents, even I don’t know. But apparently he was my closest relative. Kim Hyun Joong, better known as; F4’s Yoon Ji Hoo in the idol drama Hana Yori Dango, as well as leader of a famous K-pop group called SS501. Joyous right? As if my life wasn’t dramatic enough, now I’m under full care of a famous pop singer in a foreign country.

Don’t get me wrong, I’m not hating my cousin and his band, I simply just can’t stand celebrities in general. It’s not their occupation, in fact, I’m a big fan of their music. It’s the lack of realism in the way they live. Maybe it’s in the fame, but everything was too fake. In fact, I made it my life time goal to expose to the whole world the secrets in which every celebrity is hiding. And thanks to my dear cousin, I have direct access.

‘How hard can it be?’ I thought to myself as I stepped into the passenger pick-up area. Just look for a big crowd of screaming fan girls and you’re smack on. Instead though, a guy who was more or less a foot taller than me came up to me wearing a pair of sunglasses and a beanie. He tipped his sunglasses down  a bit as if to get a better look of a sculpture on a wall.

“Lee Min Hee?” He asked as if almost unsure of himself.

“Yeah and you’re Hyung Joong oppa right?” I asked almost sarcastically. We both took a peak around to check if anyone had noticed yet. People were starting to take a few glances here and there. “You know.” I said, “ I don’t intend to be trampled by fangirls on my first day here.”

He gained a slight grin in response and took hold of my luggage leading me towards the exit. Eventually we stopped in front of a car and the trunk opened up upon our arrival. He placed the luggage in the back and returned to open the car door to the back seats for me. I climbed inside and he followed after me.

When I settled in, the gas started immediately and the manager who sat in the shotgun spoke within seconds of merging onto the freeway. “Hyun Joong, we have literally 3 minutes at the apartment before we have to meet up with the others at the venue. So you only have time to drop off the luggage understood?”

Hyung nodded in agreement.

“Hey, hey, what about me? I feel filthy and I’m exhausted—“

“We’ll prepare you an extra change of clothes backstage. There’s a VIP bathroom, you can shower there. The manager said. I grumbled and sunk into the seat. I’ve been here for what? Ten minutes? And I’m already hating it.

The next thing I was aware of was a giant billboard that read “SS501 Eternity Concert, Seoul Arena July 19th, 2010.”

“You have a concert today?” I asked Hyun Joong.

He nodded. “The others are probably already there rehearsing. I came to pick you up.”

“Oh…” I mumbled and returned to staring out the window. Time passed in a flash and then, almost suddenly, the car skidded to a stop in the back entrance of a giant building. “Wow…” I mumbled as I stared at the huge stage and venue. It must’ve fit at least 10,000 fans. That is…in the first half.

Upon entering the arena, hyung was automatically swept on stage. I sat towards the back of the arena where from the direction of the stage lights, the darkness completely consumed the area I was in.

I liked watching the performance from this angle. I could see it all yet none of them could see me. I listened contently as each voice filled the stage. I had to admit that they all had talent including that pretty-boy cousin of mine but then again, they all had the pretty face which tempted me to ruin them more than usual. It’ll take time though, I have to build their trust first.

The sound of applaud and cheers brought me back to reality. They took a quick break and when I looked up at the stage again, it was empty. Was everybody backstage?

“Eh? There’s someone here!” A voice chirped. I jumped at the sudden sound. I looked up to see one of the SS501 members in front of me.

“Who are you?” I asked as I took in his features. Like I said, I wasn’t a big fan of celebrities so it’s basically just like meeting any other stranger.

“Y-you don’t know who I am? Then why’re you here? Are you an anti-fan, trying to ruin our show? How can you not know me? I’m Park Jung Min, SS501’s y charisma-”

I burst out laughing. “Hahaha, y?...Hah, you’re funny and quite full of yourself mister.
Well then Mr. Park Jung Min, it’s nice to meet you.” I said standing up and headed in the direction of the door. “Tell Joongie oppa that I was looking for him well you?”

‘Park Jung Min’ I thought, ‘He seems like a interesting guy. This has bound to be fun.’