Chapter five: 4:00

Untimely Love

Time went by so fast in the afternoon...or I just thought it did. Since the incident this morning, I had no interest with what was happening around.

 

During my afternoon classes, I believe I only listened to the first five or so minutes and I was pulled to the corner of my thoughts, to the kingdom of questions and to the stuck roller coaster of emotions.

 

I'm stuck there right up in the emotion called broken and low.

 

"I suppose you'll be fine on your own, right?" This time, Aleah pulled me back to reality. We got faster than I thought to the gym.

 

"I truly want to be with you right now and tear Rayah into pieces but I know I'm in no position. I just hope things will work out fine after this day."

 

One thing I'm really thankful about having Aleah as my best friend is that she knows how to manage situations and she knows how to handle me.

 

"Thanks, A. No worries, I'll be fine." I thanked her and gave her a hug before she went off her way and I entered the school gym.

 

Ace saw me at once and ran towards the entrance with a worried look.

 

"Kate!" He called out as he approached and I just gave him a puzzled look.

 

"If you want to go home now, I won't stop you. I'll ask Jace to drive you home." He suggested and I blurted a 'what?'

 

"Jace just got out of the library. You might want to go home together. Our cousin's going to stay for the night in our house. His dad got drank, I suppose, and the situation at home isn't good." He explained and I just oohed.

 

I understand what's he talking about but I'm still confused about my brother's sudden change of action. Usually, he would ask me and Jace to still wait for him because he doesn't want to miss out on the movie I and our cousin would be watching since that's what we always do every time Jace comes over.

 

Still standing there with a confused look on my face, Ace figured he can't fool me.

 

"Sorry. I just want to keep you away from seeing them." He sighed in resignation and moved out of my way.

 

Lo and behold, the lovey-dovey couple Eron in his jersey and Rayah in her cheerleader outfit laughing as Eron ties Rayah's shoelace.

 

My eyes sting and I know that it's not going to be easy to see them that way for some time. I felt my brother pull me close and that's when realization hit me.

 

"How did you know?" I whispered as my voice almost croaked.

 

"Since the beginning. I'm your brother, after all. I've known you since birth. I'm sorry I wasn't able to do anything." He replied and a stray tear fell from my eyes.

 

I immediately wiped it away and faced my brother.

 

"It's not your fault, Ace." I assured and looked at the time. 4:15.

 

"It's time for your practice. I'll wait for you here. Don't worry about me. I'll have to face them anyway so why run away?" I'm starting to believe I have become mature in handling my own feelings but I knew better.

 

"I'm worrying about my overprotective self, sis. But fine, I'll be calm if that's what you want." He said and we walked towards the bench.

 

Eron and Rayah saw us and that was the first time I saw a genuine smile on Eron's lips. Rayah waved her hand but she avoided my eyes.

 

Eron was about to say something but Ace interrupted.

 

"You don't have to break the news, bro. She figured it out." Ace commented and pointed at their intertwined hands.

 

Eron and Rayah chuckled and both blushed. Geez! There's too much sweetness in the air, my heart is breaking apart.

 

"Boys! Warm-up's over, let's start the game!" Coach Ric said and my brother went ahead.

 

"Catch up with you later, girls." Eron said as he ran towards the court.

 

When I and Rayah were left there, she faced me but she seemed nervous.

 

"Eh-Ehlarie...can we get some Kitkat?" She asked and I understood what she meant.

 

I and Aleah usually use 'Can we get some Kitkat?' every time we are fighting and we needed to talk about it calmly. We never taught Rayah that but I guess she learned about it during my and Aleah's recent girl fight.

 

I just nodded and we went towards the exit going to the comfort room.

 

Rayah Agustin is a sophomore in the university and is a member of the cheerleading team. That's how she got to know my brother and Eron. They were kind of close with each other so my brother introduced her to me and Aleah. That's how I and Aleah adjusted immediately in college. She helped us to become comfortable and we called her 'our good friend' for that reason.

 

At first, I thought she liked Eron but she extinguished that thought when she talked about crushing on Calvin.

 

I was rest assured that I can have a chance on Eron but I guess I've been fooled a lot.