Chapter 21: Sad-turday

Untimely Love

Calvin Ian’s P.O.V.

I seriously don’t know why I put myself into this situation after hearing what Prof. Albert say to Ehlarie during the showcase of our projects.

 

Or probably it was just my heart who can’t take the feeling all to myself anymore and even if I wasn’t ready for the result, I was willing to risk just so I could tell Ehlarie about how I feel for her.

 

Though right now, I am too nervous about what’s going to happen. I wasn’t really able to get some sleep and though I slept, I woke up really early.

 

I looked at my painting, the sleeping figure of Ehlarie, before I packed it in the gift box I bought yesterday.

 

 

 

Ehlarie Kate’s P.O.V.

I woke up to the loud knock on my door as my brother called me from the outside.

 

“Kate! Wake up!” He repeated and I hurried to open the door.

 

“What’s going on?”

 

“Uncle Sam’s in the hospital. Jace said he’s in a critical condition.”

 

“What? Okay, I’ll be ready in five.”

 

I was too worried to even think straight. The memory of seeing my cousin so lost and broken when his mom passed way replayed in my head. It’s too painful to even think about it.

 

 

Calvin Ian’s P.O.V.

It’s been an hour since I arrived at the park. I’m getting nervous and disheartened about the impending thought of being stood up.

 

But I know Ehlarie is not that type of person. I convinced myself that she was just late, that there was heavy traffic or she had something to attend to before meeting up with me and she couldn’t send me a message at the moment.

 

I calmed myself…

 

But as minutes passed by, I felt the heaviness of my heart and the sadness that’s eating me up.

 

I tried to be positive once more and walked around the park to make sure she wasn’t lost or she remembered the exact place correctly but to no avail, I didn’t see her around.

 

 

Ehlarie Kate’s P.O.V.

“Dad?” I was surprised to see my father in the hospital. He was with Jace and it was obvious that my cousin calmed a little.

 

“I came here from the airport since Ace’s call this morning.” He explained briefly and the doctor went out of the room.

 

“Mr. Flores has surpassed the critical condition but we’re still monitoring his vitals. We’re also checking on his panic disorder which have grown too serious.” The doctor informed.

 

“But I thought he had been going to the psychiatrist?”Jace commented and his hair furiously.

 

“He’s in a state where a psychologist needs to step in. I still need to monitor him but rest assured that he will be okay after some bed rest.” The doctor said and went ahead.

 

Jace and Ace went inside the room to check on uncle Sam. I was about to follow when I noticed Dad thinking deep.

 

“Are you okay, Dad?” I asked and he led me to the bench nearby.

 

“Kate, you know why I haven’t been home most of the time?” He said out of nowhere and I just looked at me.

 

“Because it reminds you of mom,” I replied but he shook his head.

 

“Besides that reason, I was diagnosed with depression. I also developed anxiety because it felt like I was failing not only as a husband and a father, but as a person. You know quite well how everything seemed to fall apart after your Mom left us. So I decided to like go away from time to time. I went home to my parents. And that’s when I found healing. I hated to admit it but I sought my Dad’s help. And I know, for all the time I wasn’t there for you and Ace, I’ve hurt you bigtime. And I don’t want to witness that with Jace. Their family had been through a lot and I know they were there for you when I wasn’t. Now that this happened, I was thinking…if we could start fresh with them. Dad’s a psychologist and I know he could help Sam get through this.”

 

There was too much information to take in but now, I understand my father. I hated him for not being home most of the time but he was just actually trying to rebuild himself so he could be a father to us once again.

 

And even if I know what’s going to happen, if I could help my cousin and start my life anew, I was willing to go to that phase.