Chapter 20: Autumn Knight

Untimely Love

To my Autumn Knight;

 

The night was dark

And as if there was a calendar mark

That in that very moment,

I found out what friendship meant.

 

I was sure when you held my hand

And we walk in bigger strand

Until we were running

That I already found a friend.

 

That cold autumn night,

Suddenly gave me warmth inside,

You saved me from the darkness,

You pulled me from my loneliness.

 

Under the lamppost,

And the falling leaves,

You gave me company

And assured me everything’s going to be okay.

 

Addendum:

To the same knight,

Even before Autumn,

I know you existed…

I was just unfriendly…

 

 

Ehlarie Kate’s P.O.V.

“Are you sure you’re talking about friendship here?” Aleah verified as though she was an investigator asking me a very crucial question. We were in Arts and Humanities class and we have already displayed our projects for everyone to evaluate. Calvin went to evaluate the rest and I was left with our work to answer questions from our professor and our classmates.

 

“What? Of course, I am.” I assured but she smiled meaningfully.

 

“What about your poem? I see you haven’t been hanging out with me since you started going out with that guy next to your seat in Arts and Humanities?” I intentionally directed the change of topic to her.

 

Well, our seats have been rearranged and we were all seated with our partners. Ever since the change of seating arrangement, Aleah had been ditching me to attend to someone or something important until she admitted she was going out with the guy next to her seat. Wystan is his name. He seemed kind but Aleah never really introduced me to him.

 

“I see you’re still bitter about me ditching you for Wy but I’m sure it gave you some time with Mr. Head Turner.” I know she was referring to Calvin but I ignored it.

 

“So how are you and Wystan?” I insisted on talking about them rather than talking about me and Calvin because honestly, I don’t know. We kind of grew a little bit awkward after that night but I could see he had been trying to close the gap between us.

 

“Oh yeah…so you asked yet your mind is somewhere else.” Aleah said bitterly but I just chuckled.

 

“Don’t get that into you. Well, we’re happy and I promise I’ll introduce him to you once we’re official because really, I haven’t given him my yes yet.” She confessed.

 

“Really? I guess I have something to anticipate for.”

 

“Now you tell me, how are you and Calvin?” She asked. I was about to answer when our professor came and Aleah excused herself.

 

“So this was painted by Mr. Estarez and you wrote the poem Miss Crisologo?” Prof. Albert verified and I affirmed it.

 

“Tell me the background story of your work.” He said and I kind of froze.

 

“Sir?”

 

“I want to hear the story of how this masterpiece was painted and how these words seemed unfit for your theme ‘Friendship.’” He elaborated and I had no choice but to tell him everything about Calvin’s painting and my poem.

 

“Okay, you defended well. You got the highest score. It’s not a perfect score because the painting and the poem gives more feeling of Love but since you explained well, I’m giving you the best one. And you know Miss Crisologo, don’t hide your feelings through words. You better express it in action before it’s too late.” Prof. Albert’s words made me think real deep that I didn’t even notice Calvin was back at our seat.

 

“Everything okay?” He asked, I could see worry plastered on his face.

 

I smiled and gave him our index card where Prof. Albert wrote some comments and our score.

 

“I can’t believe this. Wow! Seriously? 98 over 100?”

 

“I know, I can’t believe it either.” I said and we both jumped in awe until we were already hugging each other.

 

“Sorry,” we both apologized when we pulled away.

 

“Uhm, Ehlarie…I actually want to talk to you about something. Are you free on Saturday?” Calvin asked out of nowhere and his question made my heart beat faster.

 

“Uh, I think so.” I said, not sure how to actually handle this conversation.

 

“I’ll see you on Saturday then? Same bench at the park?” He confirmed as he held the painting and pointed at the bench.

 

“O-okay.”