Chapter four: 10:40

Untimely Love

I calmed down and have dried my tears. Aleah helped me feel a little bit okay but I knew better. I was disconnected from the real world for the past 10 minutes after what happened on the hallway.

 

I can't help but think of how I felt so betrayed and so broken.

 

"Okay! Meet with your designated partners for the project. I'll give you the rest of this period to plan or brainstorm and come up with a rough draft on your concept." I heard Prof. Albert say and I started to panic.

 

I looked at Aleah and she was up on her feet. What's going on? What partner and project are they talking about? Concept of what?

 

I was sending a lot of questions by looking at Aleah but she was smiling from ear to ear and mouthed "You'll be fine" as she winked and left to find her partner, I suppose.

 

I was about to stand up but someone held my shoulders and made me sit back comfortably.

 

"Let's just stay here," he said as he sat down beside me.

 

"Ca-Calvin?" I blurted and he smiled.

 

Now I'm totally confused. I don't remember agreeing to anybody not even him about being partners in Arts and Humanities. I was about to ask him that embarrassing question when he showed me the paper with my name on it.

 

I finally get what happened there. Very Prof. Albert way. All guys took turns to draw our names from the bowl and it turns out that he took mine, I figured.

 

"Are you okay?" He asked, I looked at him and I guess I was spacing out for the second time this day because of Calvin.

 

I just looked away and my eyes landed on the instruction about the activity on the white board.

 

'Write a poem and paint its story using the primary and secondary colors.'

 

"I-I'm fine." I replied when I realized that he was still staring.

 

"If this is about what happened this morning, I-

 

"I know right. That was kind of awkward. Good thing we got in before our professor." I cut him off as I laughed because I didn't want to think of that moment.

 

"Shall we start? What should be our focus?" I asked trying to close the gap of awkwardness between us.

 

"We can focus on what you want us to write about. I think I can still draw and paint, if I remember how to hold the brush right." He suggested as he chuckled.

 

It was only now that I saw his right dimple. And as I observed him, his eyes are smiling with his lips.

 

I was still looking at his face when he moved his face closer to mine. I felt a sudden electric shock but I couldn't move.

 

"Did you cry?" He seriously asked and that was my cue to look away and move back.

 

"Sorry," he whispered and held his pen.

 

"N-no, it's...I'm okay now." I can't understand why I felt the urge to tell him how I'm feeling that moment.

 

"So what are we going to write and paint?" He asked with a more comfortable tone and a smile on his face.

 

"Let's just write down things we want to write about and see which one we can work on." I suggested and he nodded.

 

We started to write and for the rest of the period, we had enough conversations to know some information about each other.

 

I found out that he was supposed to become a regular student when he reached his junior year but wasn't able to because he was a university scholar and a table tennis player.

 

He even told me that he might not be able to paint well since he stopped when his Mom died in an accident in which he was with her. But he told me he was fine and that he had undergone therapy to which he tried to paint and draw but wasn't good enough.

 

I didn't know how to react to that and I don't even think I was supposed to be hearing those from him but it happened anyway.

 

"Time's up!" Prof. Albert said and gestured everyone to go back to their seats.

 

"I had a great time talking to you." Calvin whispered and I just gave him a smile.

 

"I hope you'll be okay." He said and I was puzzled about his comment but I just ignored it.

 

"And I hope you won't hold yourself back from the thing that gave you and your mom happiness. I'm not saying this for a great output but I'm saying this because I am hoping you'll paint once again for yourself."

 

"Thanks. I'll connect with you soon." He said with a smile and left.

 

"Omg! Rie! That was so omg...like a real spark happened again. Gahd!" Aleah gushed and I just waved her off and pointed at my heart.

 

"Sorry." She apologized and we went out for lunch.

As for Calvin... I don't know why but he helped me keep my sanity after my heart got broken. One thing I'm sure of about him is that he makes me feel comfortable and his eyes speak of security.